412 Collection recent changes

Promote Puppy !
mikeb

412 Collection recent changes

#1 Post by mikeb »

Well a bundle of changes were made to the site and Dave has just uploaded them.

Its quite a mix so I felt it deserved a fresh topic. There will be more to follow but probably on a one at a time basis..

Avidemux, Dillo, Psip, Updates for Puppy 412, VirtualBox, VLC and Wine....to name but some and some redundant packages have been removed to make way for new items.

http://412collection.neocities.org/index.html

Any comments , feedback or suggestions are welcome... :)

mike

nic007

#2 Post by nic007 »

How about a section for tips, tricks and tweaks?

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

How about a section for tips, tricks and tweaks?
hmm yes sounds like a good idea.

I was wondering that there is probably a pile of info on this forum ... indeed there are several links on 412collection already. Perhaps expanding on that would be the way and also perhaps a thread like this could gather such information which could be echoed on the site.

mike

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

Useful stuff that will be of general interest to the user eg. How to change the background colour of a ROX window (the default colour of the official release is an uglyish grey). Perhaps a list of general tips, etc with links to the forum for answers.

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

I will run all this by dave when his time zone lets him pop by..he is the one doing the actual website..I jiggle with the software mainly.

mike

musher0

#6 Post by musher0 »

Hello, people.

I just went for a visit.

Really interesting site, easy to navigate.
Contains some valuable applications difficult to find elsewhere.
Clearly presented material.

Sums up everything Puppy-4.12 in one place.
Makes you wish some other Puppy series had similar sites...

Bravo to the team! Keep up the good work!

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

Thanks for the comments..tuxtoo started this ball rolling so much credit to him....
well I would have said Lucid/Lupu would be a prime candidate.
A CMS on a free host would do the job nicely... indeed all major releases could have its own slot. The forum does carry a large load in trying to fulfill so many purposes.

mike

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

Thanks for GK Dial and its libraries. For the first time I can connect almost as fast as Windows with my cellphone modem. :D (What is the command to connect immediately (not having to click connect)?

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Hmm good question but no clues I will ask dave he uses it... pupdial behaves for my 3g and phone.

mike

edit...he said he just uses the connect button but glad it helped... he was responsible for that addition

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:Hmm good question but no clues I will ask dave he uses it... pupdial behaves for my 3g and phone.

mike

edit...he said he just uses the connect button but glad it helped... he was responsible for that addition
Well, figured it out halfway maybe you can fill in the complete picture for me. Gkdial opens the application. Typing: ppd call CellC in terminal then connects it for me (instead of clicking connect). I can't get a script to work though. Ppd is in /usr/sbin. BTW - gkdial connects in 5 seconds opposed to pupdial (wvdial) in 20 seconds which is quite an improvement.

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

hmm not familiar with it...
so ppd call CellC does the job but you need gkdial running as well? (to create the config for pppd?)

That's not pppd is it by the way?

And its not working from a script? eg

#!/bin/sh
ppd call CellC

mike

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

Got it as I want it. Connect script with the pppd call (default connection script in /usr/local/bin changed). Disconnect script with killall pppd command. Bypassing gkdial box (only need to run gkdial once to do the configuration). Much the same way I bypassed pupdial and used wvdialshell directly. Now just to get a nice desktop icon for the disconnect :D

musher0

#13 Post by musher0 »

mikeb wrote:Thanks for the comments..tuxtoo started this ball rolling so much credit to him....
well I would have said Lucid/Lupu would be a prime candidate.
A CMS on a free host would do the job nicely... indeed all major releases could have its own slot. The forum does carry a large load in trying to fulfill so many purposes.

mike
What is a CMS, please ?
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

bark_bark_bark

#14 Post by bark_bark_bark »

musher0 wrote:What is a CMS, please ?
Content Management Script

Pelo

fantastic Puppy, making so much

#15 Post by Pelo »

fantastic Puppy, making so much with so few MBs ! Vlc loaded for Toutou 4.3.6 ( remasterized Puppy 4.3.1 with easy wireless connection). Perharps VLC will bring me FFMEPG libraries needed for other Apps.
VLC fails opening .mpeg... tant pis.

musher0

#16 Post by musher0 »

bark_bark_bark wrote:
musher0 wrote:What is a CMS, please ?
Content Management Script
Thanks.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

VLC fails opening .mpeg... tant pis.
you mean the file association is not working...the rox right click and run as setting?

CMS
very useful usually free scripts for websites to make user friendly way of maintaining a website...you can make pages, run forums, add repositories etc etc without needing web skills.

Great demo site
http://www.opensourcecms.com/scripts/sh ... +CMS+Demos
I use e107 myself and have done for years..i have 5 sites on one host with it as you can put each in a subfolder with out without their own domains.

mike

tuxtoo

#18 Post by tuxtoo »

I rode into the sunset a while ago but as that particular sunset was in the UK it rained a lot, so I just came back. Since returning I have been using 412 again.

I had the idea below and shared it with 'dave64' and he pointed me to this thread, so picking up on 'nic007's suggestion . . .

This gave me the idea to build another 412 related website. My present HD install of 412 began with 412-barebones which I then installed my preferred packages. I did install darry1966's update plus some other packages that this allowed me to add some more up to date packages, vlc-1.1.5 for example. I also carried out some minor modifications to the tray (.jwmrc-tray).

Anyway, the idea involves a sort of '412 Barbones Build Along' showing visitors how to do some simple edits. Like the taskbar below, tracking down missing libs and some useful tips and tricks I have picked up over the years. This will be aimed at novice Puppians but although they may not get their hands really dirty, but allow them to get their hands a bit grubby at least.

As I said, just an idea at the moment and as I'm back using 412 I'm itching to do something 412 related.
Attachments
tray.jpg
Simple modifications to .jwmrc-tray
(11.6 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

You need to read Allen Carrs Easyway to stop Puppying......

mike

tuxtoo

#20 Post by tuxtoo »

I've managed to quit cigarettes, drink and hard drugs and I keep falling off the wagon as far as Puppy is concerned. I manage without for a while but then the urge for a fix of Puppy overcomes me.
Last edited by tuxtoo on Thu 18 Jun 2015, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]