Ubuntu 9.10

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Ubuntu 9.10

#1 Post by Lobster »

I am in Ubuntu. I think this is the final rc and it will be out tomorrow.
Checking it out.
I like it.

I don't have an OS on the hard disk
and I was looking for a mature 64 bit OS to run Android 2 (oops seem to have forgotten about that)

In the menu under Applications / Ubuntu Software Centre is simple and very usable; more so than synaptic and aptget.

There is a maturity and polish. The install to the hard drive was easy. Installing nvidia drivers, java, kino, xara, squeak and all sorts, seemed well implemented and something I hope will work as well with Barrys Upup.

I always get bored with Ubuntu.
Maybe this time I will enjoy the programs and forget the OS.

The usability makes it a working system.

So far I have been impressed and enjoyed
my time here . . . and I am going to stay a bit longer :)
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 14 Nov 2009, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dawg

#2 Post by dawg »

I'm gonna try it out out of curiosity like I always do.. OK and to see if it runs any faster and maybe supports all of my not-so-new hardware the way I'd like it to be supported :)
Also waiting for the new Mandriva, for the same reasons.
But now that I've become better-acquainted with Puppy and loving it, I might well keep it as my main system ;) ohwell, we'll see, still looking for that "optimal" distro..

Jim1911

#3 Post by Jim1911 »

Lobster,

Since, by default, ubuntu karmic installs on an ext4 partition and installs Grub2, I'd like to know how you got ubuntu to play with your puppy installations.

Especially your experience with Grub2. If you've gotten that to dual boot properly with puppy, please post your solution on this thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45961

Thanks,
Jim

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Well I don't install Puppy - I run him from DVD
- only files and config saved on HD

I used Bit torrent (Transmission) for downloading Ubuntu
- it was very quick
- the first 'normal' download was faulty

On my first boot
I got nothing (input not recognised from my monitor)
so rebooted with safe graphic options and then changed

The Gnome desktop has some Compiz like features without the full
glitz - I find that acceptable.

I feel my SATA hard drive and Athlon 64 dual core and 1 GB memory is being well used. If I was using my older hardware, Ubuntu might seem unacceptable . . . and I am not sure I would use it on my netbook
Open Office Writer takes 6 seconds on first run
and 1 second consequently. That is fine

The installation to HD (you can boot from the CD - see if it works and install from there) was very well implemented. Ubuntu created a partition of 18GB and installed there - setting up Grub.
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 14 Nov 2009, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

James C

#5 Post by James C »

Since I already have an install of Ubuntu 9.04 that I rarely boot into, I guess I'll install Karmic just to try it out. The last couple of releases have gotten faster, but it's just not Puppy.

DaveS

#6 Post by DaveS »

I feel much the same as JamesC. I actually deleted 9.04 a while back as it was just wasting space, and a heck of a lot of it at that!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

just not Puppy
I am still here in Ubuntu
was able to load in pics from a walk on the common
and play with one in GIMP :)

I like the change of environment
and the usability.
I think many of our Pups have a second big dog on their system
but end up using Puppy most if not all of the time.

I must admit it is the ability to install larger software that I do like.

Hopefully that is something being addressed with Woof and Upup (Puppy + Ubuntu - currently in Alpha snapshot release)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

DaveS

#8 Post by DaveS »

Cool Gimpery :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

bugman

#9 Post by bugman »

lobster please don't go
lobster please don't go
lobster please don't go
down to ubuntu
you know we'll miss you so
lobster please don't go

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

I am already gone
(but in a different sense)

I am on my way back
- be interesting if I can not get back
- if Ubuntu does not allow me to boot from DVD
- like some OS that will remain nameless
that begin with W and end with S (and the middle bit is 'indow')
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

bugman

#11 Post by bugman »

standin on a corner
in winslow arizona
i got windows 7 on my mind

:?

DaveS

#12 Post by DaveS »

Posting from it now running from persistant USB install. I give you this......... its pretty!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

davesurrey

#13 Post by davesurrey »

DaveS wrote
Posting from it now running from persistant USB install. I give you this......... its pretty!
Not sure whether you are refering to Windows 7 or Ubuntu 9.10 but in any case I agree that they are both good lookers.

If it's Ubuntu you are using have you managed to do an install to your HDD yet? The fact it uses Grub2 and ext4 makes me a little nervous as I have many Puppies, and some other distros on this PC, all multi-booting happily with grub 0.97 and I don't want to mess it all up.

If anyone gets it even dual booting with Puppy please let us know.

I hope future puppies will embrace these changes which rightly or wrongly are the way things are going.

Cheers
Dave

Jim1911

#14 Post by Jim1911 »

davesurrey wrote: If it's Ubuntu you are using have you managed to do an install to your HDD yet? The fact it uses Grub2 and ext4 makes me a little nervous as I have many Puppies, and some other distros on this PC, all multi-booting happily with grub 0.97 and I don't want to mess it all up.
Dave,

The problem with Karmic is not the ext4 partition. Everything works fine on a full hd installation. However, the problem I've had is with Grub2. So far I've been unable to boot my numerous puppies with it. Dual booting between Ubuntu and Windows isn't a problem with Grub2 and it has many fine new features. See my topic for a possible solution for booting pups http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45961 Greenear indicates success with Grub2, although, I haven't tried his solution.

With ubuntu, you can always use Synaptic to uninstall Grub2 and reinstall Grub0.97, if it doesn't work for you which was what I've done. Although, I have Karmic beta, I'm still booting with my menu.lst using Grub0.97 setup using ubuntu.

Please post successes with dual booting with the new Karmic and puppy to the link above.

Cheers,
Jim

davesurrey

#15 Post by davesurrey »

Jim1911 wrote
The problem with Karmic is not the ext4 partition.
I should have been clearer. I know that ext4 won't affect the booting issue but what I should have said was that it's another issue in that most Puppies won't be able to "see" the ext4 partitions. I believe the latest puppy 431 will however. Will test that when I can boot.

Thanks for the pointer to the other thread. I've just installed 9.10 and it has happily recognised windows 7, debian, and ubuntu 9.04 but ignored tiny core and all the puppies. So I'll give Greenear's method a try. Hopefully I won't have to go back to grub0.97.

Will report back to that thread any success.

Cheers
Dave
Last edited by davesurrey on Sat 31 Oct 2009, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#16 Post by DaveS »

davesurrey wrote:DaveS wrote
Not sure whether you are refering to Windows 7 or Ubuntu 9.10 but in any case I agree that they are both good lookers.

If it's Ubuntu you are using have you managed to do an install to your HDD yet? The fact it uses Grub2 and ext4 makes me a little nervous as I have many Puppies, and some other distros on this PC, all multi-booting happily with grub 0.97 and I don't want to mess it all up.

I hope future puppies will embrace these changes which rightly or wrongly are the way things are going.

Cheers
Dave
Its Ubuntu I am running from a USB. Mostly to see how it differs from previous versions. Setting up a printer was very easy, more so than Puppy, mainly because the drivers for my particular printer dont come standard with Puppy, but wifi networking was harder because I needed to download drivers.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#17 Post by DaveS »

davesurrey wrote:DaveS wrote

Cheers
Dave
Its Ubuntu I am running from a USB. Mostly to see how it differs from previous versions. Setting up a printer was very easy, more so than Puppy, mainly because the drivers for my particular printer dont come standard with Puppy, but wifi networking was harder because I needed to download drivers.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

James C

#18 Post by James C »

I downloaded Ubuntu 9.10 and ran it live on my P3 test computer. It performed about as expected with only 256 mb of ram.

I dual-boot 9.04 and Mandriva on another more powerful machine and I'm planning to replace 9.04 and add Dpup, mainly to experiment with the new grub. If I get around to hooking that computer back up...... :)

benali72

One solution to Ubuntu dual-booting

#19 Post by benali72 »

About Ubuntu dual-booting and grub....

I just define the Ubuntu install partition as ext2. The pop-up panel Ubuntu gives you when defining partitions allows you to create the Ubuntu partition as any of several filesystems (eg: ext2, ext3, ext4, rfs).

If you pick ext2 for the Ubuntu partition, you have no problem using Puppy's grub to boot into it.

I did this for Ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04 and it worked fine. I haven't tried 9.10 yet but unless they changed the Ubuntu pop-up's it should work just like before.

jason.b.c

#20 Post by jason.b.c »

I'm not gonna even bother to upgrade (via internet) ever again i think , i do believe i learned my lesson last time ....

Posting from Kubuntu 9.04 right now on my laptop, last time i upgraded (from 8.10 on the desktop pc ) my system became completely boned....

NO X , NO Gnome , NO nothing - and no amount of tinkering would ever fix it....

Lesson learned.....

So my advise to anyone reading this thread ........ DO NOT DO THE ONLINE UPGRADE , Just download a new CD iso and upgrade via CD , your system would need to download all that info anyway....
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com/][img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img][/url]