Are Claws-mail emails saved unencrypted? (Solved: Yes.)

Using applications, configuring, problems
memo

Are Claws-mail emails saved unencrypted? (Solved: Yes.)

#1 Post by memo »

hi all, I start using claws mail heavilly and I just discovered something strange,
are the emails saved on the machine unencrypted?
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

You should read this from one of the top Q & A sites on the web.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

memo

#3 Post by memo »

hi semme,

I have read it but my question is ver the email client itself, I found the emails saved on the profile directory with a specific number that s given for each email and I wonder if this is normal for claw mail client or I should do some configuration
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

I don't think Claws handles *stored* client-side email.

You have a screen lock, you could create and encrypted save, or you could create an on-the-fly set of gpg scripts to both encrypt and decrypt your mail folder.

Other options exist.

What is it you're worried about? House-hold snoops?
Attachments
decrypt-mail_example.jpg
(79.78 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

memo

#5 Post by memo »

No not really, there is nothing to worry about, it is just strange and I thought that email client is made so that your email are only accessible through them and I just found out that I can go to the profile location and open them as a text. If you think about it, this makes checking your emails though the browser a better option or at least that the client doesnot provide any benefits ( except maybe organizational advantage ) under the normal user experince ( I mean without using gpg etc...).

I thought emails are only readable through the email client even if they are stored on the machine but I just found out that they are stored in plain text. maybe that explain why some email service are only accissable through the web interface ( and refuse to provide access through clients). Funny enough, claws email client ask for password to access your email service then it make it available without even a password on the machine, and you can read them even without the email client with a simple text editor. well, the browser would be a better option then. Basic logic I think!

Another example for this, is any password manager application, the database can only be accessed by the app and with a specific password despite that fact that the laptop can be locked or the encryption of the folder.
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Good job. You've covered the general reason I don't bother with an email client. My needs are fulfilled via web mail.