Can't Update Firefox ESR

Booting, installing, newbie
leviqsupernova

Can't Update Firefox ESR

#1 Post by leviqsupernova »

Hello,

I installed Puppy Racy 5.5 and downloaded Firefox from https://racypup.netlify.app/.

It works, but it still has limitations - Gmail loads only basic HTML, Facebook says it won't support such an old version soon, add-ons cannot be installed directly from the store, etc.

I had this issue in other versions of Puppy and I have it now - I cannot update Firefox. When I download the archive and extract its content, I press on 'Firefox' and nothing happens.

Please guide me how to install the latest version of Firefox.

Thanks.

fabrice_035

#2 Post by fabrice_035 »

I don't know this version of puppy but mozilla allows you to download the latest version directly from their website.

Code: Select all

https://www.mozilla.org
take the latest version, extract the archive, go to the directory, open a console and try with

./firefox
good luck
Bionicpup64-8.0 _ Kernel 5.4.27-64oz _ Asus Rog GL752

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

With a fresh copy (dwnld, rt-clk >> extract, go inside the FF folder then, rt-clk, Window >> Terminal Here) you should start with:

./firefox --ProfileManager

... to avoid contaminating your existing profile. This way you can create a NEW profile and take it out for a ride. I kinda sense too that you're gonna need a few items that aren't on that DATED spin. It's OK though. The terminal itself will spell those out.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

leviqsupernova

#4 Post by leviqsupernova »

Thanks everyone.

I did what you suggested: downloaded the archive, extracted, opened the folder and opened the terminal in it (yes, right click -> Windows -> Terminal Here).

I executed:

./firefox --ProfileManager
but it gives me this:

./firefox: error while loading shared libraries: libatomic.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directoty
The same message appears when I execute

./firefox
Is there anything I can do?

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

fabrice_035

#6 Post by fabrice_035 »

can you tell me which version you downloaded?
you must be able to install libatomic with PPM.

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

I highly doubt Racy's pacman looks anything like that! :mrgreen:

fabrice_035

#8 Post by fabrice_035 »

Okay, I'm not familiar with that version of puppy.

leviqsupernova

#9 Post by leviqsupernova »

I installed PPM V2, so it looks identical. The only issue here is that there are no repositories as in your screenshot. And it seems a bit challenging for me to add them via PPM (surprisingly, I find it easier to do via a console, but commands that worked in other distros don't work in Puppy).

Anyway, I installed the missing component using the mediafire link.

Unfortunately, now I get another error:

./firefox: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by ./firefox).
I suppose, this will continue unless I install every missing component. Is there a way to get some list of missing files beforehand? I think it will be tiresome for me to ask you to send me files after every error.

Bonus question: why does it happen? Similarly, I couldn't run/update the recent FF in other distros, including AntiX.

Thanks.

fredx181

#10 Post by fredx181 »

leviqsupernova wrote:Bonus question: why does it happen? Similarly, I couldn't run/update the recent FF in other distros, including AntiX.
Racy is probably too old for running latest firefox, Antix ... (or any modern distro) really should be possible.

Fred

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

fabrice_035 wrote:Okay, I'm not familiar with that version of puppy.
Well, I'm not surprised, Fabrice. You like cutting-edge stuff, not 'ancient history'.... Even in Puppyland, I've noticed the same old, same old; there's two distinct types of user. Those that always like to run the very newest of everything, even if it means paying out for new hardware to be able to do so.....because for some daft reason, you seem to feel you're 'safer' with newer software. ( :roll: ) And then you have those that simply want to rejuvenate an ancient 'puter, and don't care how old the OS is, so long as it runs.

@ leviqsupernova:-

I'll tell you now, you won't be able to run Quantum in Racy 5.5. It can't be done. I tried everything I could think of for more than 18 months - and then some. There's so many things that need changing/altering/upgrading - most of the core, system dependencies are simply too old - by the time you've done that you might just as well use a newer Puppy to start with....

@Fred:-

I think you'll find it's a 'glitch', same as you had last year (68->69, some time around then?) My Quantum refused to auto-update from 75 to 76 (sat there, spinning its wheels on 'installing' for more than an hour on 3 separate occasions), so I d/l'ed and installed 76 manually. Happy as Larry after that, so I really don't know what was "gumming-up" the works...

------------------------------

I do know the 'glibc_tweak' we used with the pre-'Quantum ' versions of the browser worked a treat. Post-Quantum, you're pissing in the wind. Something was changed in a fairly major way in libxul.so, because trying to integrate the 'glibc_tweak' always resulted in a segfault after that.....

(*shrug*)

Mike.

leviqsupernova

#12 Post by leviqsupernova »

Oh well, then I guess I will stay with what I have until the support of FF is dropped completely on the websites; and\or use the recent version of Puppy or AntiX and to change its kernels somehow.

Probably, I had to mention it the initial post - all I need is:

1) Fast distro to use on a very old laptop;
2) Sound (newer distros/kernels don't work with my audio chip, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=118898)
3) Recent FF or Chrome to surf the web, including the most popular social media.

That's basically it. It appears, finding such a combination is pretty challenging. But this is a separate topic.

Thanks everyone for trying to help me!

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ leviqsupernova:-

There is one way yo can run modern browsers with an older Puppy. It involves running what's known as a chroot 'jail'; it's like a VM, but it's running in real time, rather than a virtual space. Essentially, you're running a 'stripped-down', newer distro inside your older one.....though in Pup's case, because it's so tiny to start with, we just use the entire thing!

You might like to have a read through of this thread, about Darry's "Phoenix" re-spin of the old Puppy 4.3.1:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116679

Following inspiration from watchdog, I put together a chroot 'jail' with the SRWare 'Iron' browser.....one of the Chromium 'clones', and extremely similar in layout to Chrome itself. You're welcome to give it a try; the downloads for it are still available from my Google Drive.

See what you think.

Mike. :wink: