Do you live in a big town or small?

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
J_D_

Do you live in a big town or small?

#1 Post by J_D_ »

What size town do you live in ? I have lived in the big city,but I have spent most of my life in a town of around 3000 people. I like it.

darry19662018

#2 Post by darry19662018 »

I live in Rakaia NZ having previously lived in Christchurch and the population here is according to wikipedia: 1,240

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakaia

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/keyword/rakaia
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

tallboy

#3 Post by tallboy »

I have lived in our capital Oslo, for most of my life. I am now very happy to be living in the outscirts of a small seaside town 45 km south of Oslo, named Drøbak, population app. 13.000. Very nice!
(BTW, ø is pronounced like the i in bird!)
https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/dr%C3%B8bak/3280/
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

J_D_

#4 Post by J_D_ »

I really like the fact that this forum is populated by people around the world. All puppy people. :D

CaneGrasso64

Smal!

#5 Post by CaneGrasso64 »

I live in a small city (Mercogliano) :((
WHERE IS FATDOG!??!??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

No town.
I live out in the country, as they say in the US.
Closes actual town is 5 miles away.
Small lake with 10 homes spread out around the lake.
Small wooded mountains all around.
There are more animals than people.
Bears.
Deer.
All kinds of birds. Any kind of inland bird, you can name.
Fish.
Skunks, but not so many anymore. A lot of them got hit by cars, a few years back. It was like they suddenly started committing suicide!
Bats.
Etc......
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

J_D_

#7 Post by J_D_ »

4 replies, 4 different countries. And small towners too. I like it.

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

I used to live in Aylmer (QC), Canada, pop. 30,000.

I haven't moved: neighboring city Gatineau ( 250,000 people )
swallowed us and a few surrounding smaller cities, by provincial
decree, ca 10 years ago. Now Aylmer is only a "sector" of Gatineau.

I still don't understand why they did it. They saved the cost
of running separate Town Councils, but that's it.

I see no improvement in services to the population. And
as a sector, we've lost the "spirit" we had as a 200-year
old separate city.
Last edited by musher0 on Sun 16 Feb 2020, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

darry19662018

#9 Post by darry19662018 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aylmer,_Quebec

Looks like a lovely place Musher:)
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

p310don

#10 Post by p310don »

I live on the outskirts of a big city.

Brisbane has a population of over 2 million people. I don't like leaving my quieter neighbourhood to go into the city. Too many people, too many cars, too much hustle and bustle.

I grew up here, so I have watched the place grow over the past 40 years. I liked it more when it was smaller.

My sister moved to a more rural destination to be with her husband who worked in a mine. I remember visiting her for her 30th birthday (12 years ago) and walking her kids to school. It seemed surreal, just after 8am the streets were filled with school aged kids walking or riding their bikes to school.

At home, almost nobody walks to school. They are all dropped off in their minivans & SUVs, heaven forbid they walk further than a few metres to get to school.

Now that I have (almost school aged) kids of my own, I really wish I didn't have roots, work and a life in the bigger city. I reckon the smaller towns are great for a simpler, easier, less stressful life.

J_D_

#11 Post by J_D_ »

More diversity. Amazing to me. All over the place and all looking for and finding a better OS. And, mostly small towners.

cthisbear

#12 Post by cthisbear »

I live in a suburb of Sydney....
but I've always been small minded.

Chris.

mikeslr

#13 Post by mikeslr »

The question lead me to a surprising discovery: I live in a small town, population less than 6,000. Union Township is one of 21 municipalities in Union County. The latter, although occupying 105 square miles, has a population of over 500 thousand, making it the 15th most densely populated area in the US.

Most of that population is in the three coastal cities. The nearest and largest, Elizabeth, is a 10 or 15 minute drive from my home, depending on the traffic. They, at least, are part of the New York City megalopolis; bed-rooms for a significant amount of commuters working in 'The City'. Union is the largest of the remaining 18. Again depending on traffic, and without regard to whether rail or motor vehicle is chosen, Broadway or Lower Manhattan is about 40 minutes away. Within a 15 minute drive of my home are 6 other small towns each with --in addition to the now compulsory chain stores-- its own 'mom-and-pop' restaurants and boutiques; each town offering a slightly different feel and flavor.

The apartment complex in which I lived for most of my youth was literally a stone's throw from a 204 acre county park where I fished, rowed a boat, played baseball in the summer, and rode a sled down a steep hill in the winter.

I hadn't noticed a significant change moving from 'big-city' Elizabeth to 'small-town' Union. The 'big-city' was actually just a bunch of neighborhoods surrounding the main shopping/business/government district. I was fortunate to have grown up during a time when you knew most of your immediate neighbors and engaged in most of your daily activities, including shopping, within walking distance from your home.

My home is a five minute walk to where buses to New York stop; and a 10 minute drive to trains to New York. But it abuts what was once a bird sanctuary. Only in the winter can I see lights from homes on its other side. It is now part of Green Acres which stretches for many miles beyond a four mile hike to South Mountain Reservation. [Not much of a mountain by Western US nor even Western New Jersey standards -- small foothills, at most]. But sufficiently devoid of human presence that a woodchuck frequents my backyard often enough that we've named him 'Pete', we have to secure garbage against raccoons, we catch occasional glimpses of fox and coyotes, and during the summer a couple does feel secure enough to rest their fawns on our back lawn.

dze

#14 Post by dze »

I live in a village Baric near capital of Serbia Belgrade but I will never change to live in a big city

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

Where we live was once officially designated a 'village'. It used to be separate from the town of King's Lynn by at least 3-4 miles. At some point during the 90's, a small-to-medium industrial estate was built approximately halfway between the two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Wootton

Over the last 20 years I've watched first one, then another housing development steadily fill in the gaps, till it's reached the point where South Wootton is now just a suburb of a steadily expanding Lynn.

My Mum was born, and grew up in, a small village mid-way between Lynn and the next town, 14 miles away. Her father used to be the village miller, grinding wheat for the local bakeries in the area. During the war years, with so many of the village population being away at the front, his duties expanded to include that of local baker, too.....in addition to having to deliver the finished product.

She remembers her father's bread delivery round including South Wootton, toward the end of the war years. When she first moved here, 25 years ago, she recognised the area immediately, but was dismayed by how much bigger it had already grown. As with all small communities, we've had our influx of 'townies', looking to get away from it all.....but the trouble is, no sooner have they moved in, they become very vocal in their demands for 'town' facilities, right on their doorstep. And so the expansion proceeds apace.

When first she came here (followed by myself, a few years later), Mum knew all her neighbours, and all would help each other out. With many of the 'locals' being senior citizens, like Mum, and many having passed away in the intervening years, all our neighbours are now total strangers.....and the neighbourhood is gradually becoming home to a certain percentage of the more unsavoury, 'rowdier' element, who think nothing of playing loud music till all hours of the night, and get right 'in-yer-face' about it if you so much as dare to raise an objection.

Frankly, the area is going to the dogs (pardon the pun), which is a shame, because it used to be a delightful, very quiet, picturesque, friendly community.....

I guess this is what's called 'progress'. :roll:

Mike. :wink:

Fossil

#16 Post by Fossil »

I'm in the bigpup and Mike Walsh category. Small village, no shops, lacks a post office, no mains gas and no bus service; nothing for over five miles except green fields,woodlands, a large river and the Cotswold hills beyond. Broadband stutters along at under 1 meg per second. Very rural. Know everyone - locals that is. Far too many 'incomers' with more changes about to happen: Houses, everywhere.

J_D_

#17 Post by J_D_ »

Fossil wrote:I'm in the bigpup and Mike Walsh category. Small village, no shops, lacks a post office, no mains gas and no bus service; nothing for over five miles except green fields,woodlands, a large river and the Cotswold hills beyond. Broadband stutters along at under 1 meg per second. Very rural. Know everyone - locals that is. Far too many 'incomers' with more changes about to happen: Houses, everywhere.

Us small towners seem to be the majority. Not what I expected at all.

tallboy

#18 Post by tallboy »

Bigcitydvellers use Windoze, not Linux...     :mrgreen:
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

J_D_

#19 Post by J_D_ »

Thats the problem with big cities.

Scrappy Doo

#20 Post by Scrappy Doo »

I am currently in a mid-sized town( about 100,000) , but have lived other places. I spent 2 years in Los Angeles. Now pushing middle age, i like the slower pace where i am.