QEMU-Puppy and QP-puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
goingnuts

QEMU-Puppy and QP-puppy

#1 Post by goingnuts »

QEMU-Puppy is described in details here.
"QEMU-Puppy is an OS and a set of applications on a USB memory stick. This OS can be booted natively, or on top of an other, already installed, OS. Just borrow a PC, boot your own environment and return the PC unaffected."

A portable OS that can boot natively from a USB key, emulated in Windows or Linux. Even though its been around for more than 10 years it still works out of the box!

Several times the upgrade of the Puppy version has been discussed at the Puppy Linux Forum. Member CatDude made an upgrade to Puppy-400, link - which might be the same found at sourceforge link?

I have tried to do a more generic approach (I name it QP-xxx to differentiate from the original(s)) - starting with the official Puppy Linux iso and rebuild QP-Puppy with version 216, 217, 300, 301, 301retro, 400, 412, 412retro, 421, 431, lupu-501, wary-5.3, wary-5.5 racy-5.4.93 and Slacko-6.3.0. The approach works but gets more and more complicated the newer the version is so stopped with Slacko-6.3.0.

Read more and downloads

goingnuts

#2 Post by goingnuts »

Howto: To have Puppy running as QEMU-Puppy/QP-puppy one has to modify initrd.gz which involves unpacking the initrd.gz, doing the patching and repacking. The rest is somewhat trivial as all other files are original Puppy-files or original QEMU-Puppy-files. I ship QP-Puppy with an empty savefile and an empty devx-file. zdrv-file is also empty unless the original Puppy iso contained one.

I have worked with a simple general patch to init in initrd adding only one line:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/ash
[ $QPE ] && exec /init_qemu
#LGPL Copyright 2006,2007 Barry Kauler, www.puppylinux.com
The second patch to initrd is to add the init_qemu next to init.
When boot parameter QPE=true init shifts to init_qemu which is used to start up the QP-puppy configuration. Same init_qemu is used in all the downloads. It is not totally general as it depends on knowing version of Puppy and in some cases version of kernel. Could probably be made more universal to some point for all historical Puppy versions.

The empty devx can be substituted with the original devx or with an sfs containing whatever you need of additional programs. If zdrv is supplied empty it can be used the same way (additional programs).