Wanna quickly change BionicPup LUKS savefile password?

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
jafadmin

Wanna quickly change BionicPup LUKS savefile password?

#1 Post by jafadmin »

Without creating a new savefile? Yeah, I figured you did 8)

Here's a tasty script for changing savefile pwd on the fly. Put it in your /my-applications/bin and make sure it is executable.

Run from bash, or just click on it. Works in BionicPup32 & BionicPup64 (It'll prolly work with any pup that has luks savefiles, but I haven't tested it. )

Better yet, I made a ".pet" for it .. :roll: It creates an entry in the Utility menu.
Attachments
ChLuksSavefilePwd-0.1.0.pet
(2.98 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
ChLuksSavePass.tar.gz
(956 Bytes) Downloaded 206 times
Last edited by jafadmin on Sun 17 Nov 2019, 14:25, edited 8 times in total.

proebler

#2 Post by proebler »

Cleared my initial reaction/reservation about the security aspect of this.
Thanks for the tool.

jafadmin

#3 Post by jafadmin »

[Deleted by Jafadmin] :?

cattledog

#4 Post by cattledog »

I'm running bionicpup64 on a frugal USB install. I didn't encrypt anything during the install. During boot, the only thing I am prompted for is my username and password. Is there a way to encrypt my current savefile with LUKS? If so, how do I do it and what is the experience on boot; rather than load directly into RAM, am assuming it would ask for my LUKS password? Thanks.

jafadmin

#5 Post by jafadmin »

cattledog wrote:I'm running bionicpup64 on a frugal USB install. I didn't encrypt anything during the install. During boot, the only thing I am prompted for is my username and password. Is there a way to encrypt my current savefile with LUKS? If so, how do I do it and what is the experience on boot; rather than load directly into RAM, am assuming it would ask for my LUKS password? Thanks.
That question would probably get a good answer over in the Bionic64 thread: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311

When you boot a puppy with an encrypted savefile, it prompts for the password at boot.

jafadmin

#6 Post by jafadmin »

Here is a newer version that will change any of your LUKS passwords. You can un-install the previous one and install this one.
Attachments
ChLuksPwd-0.1.0.pet
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 237 times