Opera 64

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
stemsee

Opera 64

#1 Post by stemsee »

I was surprised after installing Opera on BionicDog64, because not only has it got a builtin free vpn, but it handles touch events. So I have pinch to zoom, and right click with two fingers. How cool is that? very.... :-)
Attachments
2019-10-13-000019_960x577_scrot.png
(88.73 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Opera download web page.
https://www.opera.com/download

The Linux version downloads as a deb package.
Installed it into Bionicpup64 8.0 with no problems.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

Really Nice

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Also no problem installing in Xenialpup64.

Well, almost no problem. I forgot that I had the 58 version installed. On opening the newest version, 64.0.3417.54, I was thanked for doing an upgrade. Two opera listings appeared on the menu. (May have been a ghost desktop file). Uninstalling 58 also uninstalled 64.

So my recommendation if you have an old version is (1) save your book marks; (2) uninstall the old; then (3) install the new.

I highly recommend the upgrade. Very fast. Implied, but not mentioned, opera doesn't complain about running as Root; nor seem to mind doing so. Reminds me of the days when opera 12 was my 'go to' browser.

mikeslr

Partial Externalization of Opera

#4 Post by mikeslr »

I wondered if Opera64 could be run as a "portable", that is an application external to 'Puppy Space'. As you know, in a Frugal Install Puppy creates anew in RAM its operating system, copying files and file-systems as necessary from their locations on the Storage Medium. The Save modules writes files from RAM to Storage. Only files and File-systems 'hanging' from /mnt do not require any RAM when not in use. Consequently, any application whose files/fle-systems which are located other than 'on /mnt' will require space in a SaveFile/Folder, and in RAM. I refer to that space as 'Puppy Space'.

Extracting the deb revealed that installation will place most of its files in /usr/lib/opera; thus in 'Puppy Space'. Moving the entire extracted folder provided no way to open Opera. However, examining the version I had already installed revealed a script file: /usr/lib/opera/opera. It reads:

#!/bin/sh
APP=/usr/lib/opera/opera.bin
#script to run $APP as spot...
ARGS=""
[ "$1" ] && while [ "$1" ]; do ARGS="$ARGS \"$1\""; shift; done
if [ $(id -u) -eq 0 ]; then
[ $XAUTHORITY ] && cp $XAUTHORITY /root/spot/.Xauthority 2>/dev/null
touch /root/spot/.Xauthority
#following line is mostly there to catch any root:root files that may have got copied in...
find /root/spot \( -not -user spot -or -not -group spot \) -exec chown -h spot:spot {} \; &
export XAUTHORITY=/root/spot/.Xauthority
export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/root/spot/.config
export XDG_CACHE_HOME=/root/spot/.cache
export XDG_DATA_HOME=/root/spot/.local/share
exec su spot -s /bin/sh -c "\"$APP\" $ARGS"
else #precaution
exec "$APP" "$ARGS"
fi

It is apparently created during the installation of opera.

I copied that file into the opera folder I had 'hanging' from /mnt/home and, clicking it, opera opened.

I don't know whether that was because the opera in /usr/lib/opera was called or if that in /mnt/home.../usr/lib/opera was actually being used.

Right now, I don't have the time to test (uninstall opera and see the 'external' version will function). But, it appears promising. If so, after Opera is installed its primary folder can be moved and the /usr/share/application/opera.desktop file's Exec argument edited to the new location.

Edit: Booted into Bionicpup64 on which no prior version of Opera existed. Received no response by clicking the executable opera script in the above described folder on /mnt/home. Since Bionicpup64 already had Google-Chrome installed, the spot folder in /root is merely a symlink to /home/spot. So I edited the above script replacing references to /root/spot with /home/spot. Still no response, and I don't know why. It should not make any difference if the opera folder was in /usr/lib/opera or somewhere on /mnt/home as neither location is "on the path".

This, however, did work: After installing Opera64 into BionicPup64, I created an opera64 folder on /mnt/home. Dragged the entire /usr/lib/opera folder into /mnt/home/opera64 and selected Move. Dragged it back and selected Link(relative). Opera functions. I'm posting from it now.

Performing the above procedure before executing a Save means very little of the components of opera occupy 'Puppy Space'.

Yet to be tested: Installing opera into a different Puppy, deleting /usr/lib/opera and symlinking /mnt/home/opera64/opera into /usr/lib. If so, one instance of opera could be employed by two or more Puppies.

Edit2: Above was tested and works. I'm posting using opera from BionicPup64 after deleting /usr/lib/opera and symlinking /mnt/home/opera64/opera into /usr/lib.
Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 14 Oct 2019, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Mike.

Essentially how I've been sharing Chromium clones between Puppies from a remote data partition for the last 3-3½ years. Davids45 put me onto it.

My 'set-up' is nowhere near as complex as his, but basically I have a directory with all components of the file-system in it. A clone's package is manually copied to the matching FS locations inside here. I then sym-link all parts of the package to its corresponding locations in Pup. I run fixmenus, re-start 'X'.....and she runs.

After the first, manual install, I constructed a .pet entirely out of sym-links to link other Pups to the same set of remote locations. Install that, and fire the clone up.

Simples!

[I'm still working on a true, 'portable' package along the lines of Fred's portable-Quantum. It's slow work, but I believe I'm getting close to completion...]

T'other Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 14 Oct 2019, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike,

Davids45 was my inspiration as well. I mentioned using the technique with opera because it's the first "Chrome-clone" I've been able to 'externalize' if only partially. My prior efforts with "Chrome-clones", however, had been to try to structure the entire package to run from /mnt/home by just decompressing it there and calling its executable. That was the technique David45 used with the 'Old' opera and 'Old' firefox.

Opera 64 doesn't seem to mind that Puppies run as root. Other Chrome & Clones may not be as accommodating: among the likely reasons your efforts to fully externalize them are slow going. Sorry I can't help. You're now well above my pay-grade.