Firefox 66.0.3 (64 bit) reports murga-linux login not secure

For discussions about security.
Ether

Firefox 66.0.3 (64 bit) reports murga-linux login not secure

#1 Post by Ether »

Hello.

I'm using Firefox 66.0.3 (64 bit) with Bionicpup64 8.0 CE, and when I go to login it says the connection is not secure and so third parties can steal my username/password.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Flash, you out there?

https issue, again!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

dancytron

#3 Post by dancytron »

So . . .

Firefox gives that message because the site isn't encrypted (i.e. SSL/https). So, if someone wanted to go to the trouble, they could intercept your username and password. Not particularily easy, but possible, especially if someone had physical access to the server or your home network (i.e. hacked your wifi).

If you use the same username and password for your bank account with millions of dollars in it or your American Express Black Card, that would be BAD™. If you use the same username and password for your secret email account you use to cheat on your wife, also probably BAD™.

If you don't use the same username and password for anything other message boards where you never use your real name or credit card info, then probably NO BIG DEAL™.

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

Of course, this forum is not secure.

We are Puppies, SoooO...
you never know when one of us will bite you (having rabies). ;)

(Where is that tongue-in-cheek icon again?!)

Welcome aboard anyway, "Ether"!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

foxpup

#5 Post by foxpup »

All that security stuff, I am getting very tired of it.

I remember the time nobody locked his house, when there were no bike locks etc.
Really, no progress at all, just men behaving badly.
(I shouldn't use that phrase: I love "Men behaving badly" (BBC comic series), not bad at all! ;-) )

tallboy

#6 Post by tallboy »

We are more than 40.000 users of this forum, reading some of the more than 1 million posts in this forum. I have never seen anyone complain about a stolen id from this forum, and if someone stole it, what could they use it for? The computer wizard John Murga is taking care of us, in the best way possible. :D
fopup wrote:(I love "Men behaving badly" (BBC comic series), not bad at all! Wink )
Aaah, what modern TV-viewers are missng! Martin Clunes and Neil Morrissey made that absolutely hilarious series into something which fitted in perfectly along 'Absolutely Fabulous'. Those 2 series were favourites of mine. :D
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Burn_IT

#7 Post by Burn_IT »

Martin Clunes still does some very good comedy shows.
The current one is Doc Martin.
Also his documentaries are well worth watching as well as he always seems to find the unusual facts about the subject as well as the normal ones
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Ether

#8 Post by Ether »

dancytron wrote:Firefox gives that message because the site isn't encrypted (i.e. SSL/https).
Does the whole site have to be encrypted in order for the login screen to be encrypted?

s243a

#9 Post by s243a »

Ether wrote:
dancytron wrote:Firefox gives that message because the site isn't encrypted (i.e. SSL/https).
Does the whole site have to be encrypted in order for the login screen to be encrypted?

One could just encrypt the login screen. Perhaps that might be an easier way to add HTTPS support to this site. Note that there there is still the potential for someone to MITM your downloads if only the login screen is encrypted. They might have to hijack your session cookie to pull this off.

OldAndInTheWay

#10 Post by OldAndInTheWay »

The only site I have a problem with is Distrowatch. I am using Pale Moon, and all I have to do is refresh the page and then it loads just fine. No problem here at murga-linux.