Trying to connect with WEP or WPA Router.

For discussions about security.
purple379

Trying to connect with WEP or WPA Router.

#1 Post by purple379 »

I have a neighbor who will let me use his Wireless. I have sufficient signal, I think. His Password does not work for me. It does work for his laptop. The laptop was given to him about 2010. Other people have logged into his Router by the PW he gave me. My next hunch is that the Encryption scheme he is using is not WPA2. I am not sure if my current OS's will connect to the earlier scheme.

I am going to download some earlier Ubuntu versions, and see if they will connect.

If I did convince him to let me upgrade his Sudden Link provided Modem/Router to WPA2, his laptop would have to be patched to connect. He is happy with what he is doing. He just wants it to work when he turns on his laptop. My spending time in his house trying to change some things, is not likely to make him friendlier. Short of me spending money to buy some other hardware to plug into his connection. Such as I just put a more modern Router to plug into his modem, and then I could surely connect to that. Well, I do not have the money.

My randomly trying different ISO's is time consuming, when we have here on the forum, likely, someone who can tell me what is wrong.

As for the obvious questions. I got the Password directly off his laptop, which is running an earlier version of Windows, and displays the PW he is using. This is the same PW taped onto his Modem Router by the Suddenlink tech, who set it years ago. I can not log into the Modem/Router combo even sitting two feet from the Router, so signal strength is not the problem. Yes, I am sure I have checked the correct broadcast Router name. I have tried with Mac OS Lion, Windows 10, several different ISO's of the more recent Linuxes.

I will try the other, early versions of Linux, (Ubuntu 12, 13) later today. Any other suggested course of action?

rockedge

#2 Post by rockedge »

good news Puppy Linux Bionic 32 or 64 will connect to WEP.
Or use a Puppy Tahr flavor OS and try connecting using WEP

is the password a hexadecimal number?

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi purple379,

I only recently had to replaced my router. The new one supports wpa. The old one only had WEP. Despite that, the many Puppies I've used have always had Wifi.

Puppies usually have a couple applications to configure wifi: Simple Network Setup, Frisbee and Network Wizard. Frisbee almost always worked, but on occasion, with mixed results, I've used the other two. Hence, I recommend Frisbee as the first to try.

If your Puppy doesn't have Frisbee or if it does and you currently can't use Wifi, I recommend that you install ALL OF rerwin's APPLICABLE updates. See my post here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 22#1025322, repeating rerwin's summary of the updates and follow the link there to the post providing links to the various applications.

p.s. Always tell us which of the 5000 puppies your using; and relevant information regarding hardware -- such as the make and model of your wifi-adapter. Otherwise the advice we provide may not be more helpful than our suggesting connecting two tin cans with a string.

davids45

BK's Simple Network Setwork

#4 Post by davids45 »

G'day purple379,

Yes, as mikeslr noted, please tell us your Pup and your wifi hardware (card, usb?).

If you try the 'Simple Network Setup' in the Setup>Internet Connection Wizard menu, it may display available wifi networks with small bar-chart-type indicators of signal strength (example in attachment).
It also seems to handle the various WPA versions in trying to connect (we have WPA2). Wizard has a WEP option as well.

Did you neighbour come into your place and try to connect with his computer from there?

Here, we have no problem with the same password on Puppy and Windows computers (and phones and tablets).

Good luck with it,

David S.
Attachments
oldTPLink-foundnetworks.jpg
Simple Network Setup example
(36.67 KiB) Downloaded 74 times