Which Puppy should I try next?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
SolusUmbra

Which Puppy should I try next?

#1 Post by SolusUmbra »

If Tahr 32bit runs really well, but I want something different, which puppy would be recommened to try.

backi

#2 Post by backi »

Hi SolusUmbra !

Welcome to Puppy Wonderland .
Just try One of the Newer Ones .

Have Fun ! :wink:

SolusUmbra

#3 Post by SolusUmbra »

I don’t think a newer one would run.
It’s a small system

backi

#4 Post by backi »

Just Try ......and you will see .

SolusUmbra

#5 Post by SolusUmbra »

Just tried xenialpup (32) from USB and it says no space left on device and wont start. USB is 2GB and I have about 70GB free on the computer.

backi

#6 Post by backi »

More Details about your Installation Procedure .
How did you install .
How is Usb -Stick formatted.......did you make the Stick bootable with Gparted (set bootflag)
How looks your menu.lst ?
Did you use Grub4dos or what Grub loader ?
If you installed it correctly to Usb-Stick (2 gigabytes space should be enough)
The Space on your Harddrive should not matter.

Maybe better go for Upup Bionic Beaver ........Xenial is a bit outdated compared to Upup Bionic Beaver .

SolusUmbra

#7 Post by SolusUmbra »

I didn't try to install just run of the USB stick to see what it was like. Stick was bootable gave me several options again I just clicked to run it. I didn't see the Upup Bionic Beaver on the download list on the main puppy page. I also have tried running Slacko (32) from the USB and that worked just fine to start, but it wasn't as smooth as Tahr was.

backi

#8 Post by backi »

I think Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE would be fine .

Here is the Link:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112125

SolusUmbra

#9 Post by SolusUmbra »

thanks ill give it a try

SolusUmbra

#10 Post by SolusUmbra »

Question, which repository do I use to install stuff? Since its 32 bit what options do I have for a browser?

s243a

#11 Post by s243a »

I second dpup strech. I find amongst the newer pups it preforms the best on older systems. You might also find TazPup fun but it is still beta. I also like upup bionic beaver.

SolusUmbra

#12 Post by SolusUmbra »

also is there a way to get rid of the bar at the top of the screen?

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ SolusUmbra:-

System specs would help....

Make & model
CPU
Amount of RAM
HDD
Graphics chip/card would also help.

Let us have those, and we can advise further.

Mike. :wink:

SolusUmbra

#14 Post by SolusUmbra »

Absolutely Here you go!!
CPU = Intel Celeron M 520 @ 1.60GHz
Ram = 512MB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 266MHz
Motherboard = Gateway
Graphics = Intel 945GM Express Chipset
Hard drive =74gb

bigpup

#15 Post by bigpup »

You have probably found the best Puppy to use.
Tahrpup 6.0.5
That is about the newest version of Puppy that will work OK.

That is some low spec hardware and 512MB of memory is about as low as you can go and still have something usable.

Slacko 5.7 or Slacko 6.3.2 would be good to try.

There are a lot of older Puppy versions that would probably work, but those are going to have issues trying to run new software.
Latest browsers are going to have issues.
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 02 Feb 2019, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

SolusUmbra

#16 Post by SolusUmbra »

Haha I have 2 model numbers listed on the bottom. Gateway MA7 and ML6230

I didn't install (which I know can make a difference) but the Dpup Stretch ran pretty good. I just didn't like the programs bar at the top of the screen.

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ SolusUmbra:-

I'd give Slacko 570 a try:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-slacko-5.7/

Probably 5.7 would be better, as bigpup says (it's the no-PAE version; you're definitely under the 4 GB 'cut-off' point..!! :lol: :lol:) However, I understand 5.7 was buggy in some areas, so 'straight' 570 might be just as well. Slacko 570 is one of the most stable Puppies I've ever found, and is the one I always turn to when I just want to get stuff done.

(*shrug*)

As for browsers; Fredx181 does a 'portable' version of FF-Quantum:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112376

....and I do a 'portable' version of PaleMoon:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115119

Both of these can actually be run from a flash drive, since they're self-contained, along with yr profile and all.

^^^^ Just a suggestion....

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

#18 Post by mikeslr »

SolusUmbra wrote: ... but the Dpup Stretch ran pretty good. I just didn't like the programs bar at the top of the screen.
Emphasis supplied.

If I recall correctly, one of the launchers on that panel is a configuration tool which will enable you to reassign it to either the left or right edge, and auto-hide it if not in use. Either it, or JWM Desk from the Main Menu>Desktop, can remove it completely. From JWM Desk, click the "options" tab and uncheck "Accessory" I think.

I agree with Mike Walsh about Slacko 5.7. However, the Mike wasn't able to run Sailor Enceladus' newer version, Slacko 5.7.1, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 794#976794 to properly run on his computers. I had no difficulty and would recommend it.

SolusUmbra

#19 Post by SolusUmbra »

Oh I wish I had more then 1 USB stick. Be so much easier to switch programs around. The one Mike suggested did run pretty good, but something seemed off???? Its like when you get a new pair of glasses, something is off from the old even if you can't tell what it is, doesn't make it a bad thing.
Thanks mikeslr I tried messing around to find an option but I really had no clue what I was looking for.

mikeslr

#20 Post by mikeslr »

Hi SolusUmbra,

I hadn't booted into dpup-stretch for a couple of months and maybe a couple of updates ago. So I downloaded the latest version AND AM REALLY IMPRESSED.

Here's how to configure the top panel. At the far right there's a launcher. Looks like two overlapping blue flags. When you click it, a JWMDesk window opens. Click the Options Tab. Toward the bottom you'll see the heading "Accessory Tray". Below that is a box named Launch Bar with a check in it. Click the check to "up-check it" so that the box is empty. Click "Apply" just under that section. The Panel will disappear. Then Click Apply at the bottom to set that configuration.

If you want to reassign that Panel, Click the Tray tab in the JWMDesk GUI. At the top of the window you'll see a Green Arrow pointing up and the Heading Attributes Tray-2. The tools to configure it, such as changing it to the Left-Edge and making it vertical are on the right just below that Title.

At the bottom you'll see Tabs with the titles Tray-1 and Tray-2, with Tray-2 having a check mark and being highlighted. Click Tray-1 if you want to make changes to the bottom panel.

What impresses me about dpup is that Menu>System>Pup-SysInfo shows that at bootup, with only that application opened only 123 Mbs of RAM were actually being used. Compared to recent Puppies, that's really very little. I'm not sure Slacko can do better.

Give me a little time and I'll see if changing the kernel to one of rockedge's Real-Time Kernels can reduce RAM use even more. But, I have to go out now.

As you only have one USB-Stick, don't do anything for now. Will post again later today.