14 March = Pi Day

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
NathanO

14 March = Pi Day

#1 Post by NathanO »

Remember that March 14th is Pi Day!! 3.14.

Make sure you have some Pi[e].!

Nathan

6502coder

#2 Post by 6502coder »

No, remember that June 28 is Tau Day. Help exterminate all silly factors of 2!

rokytnji

#3 Post by rokytnji »

Funny you mention that. Sweet Potato pie is cooking in the oven.

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

Especially this year: 3.14.16. :D
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

ally

#5 Post by ally »

I've purchased pi's since their inception, more to help the foundation then anything but have started to find useful projects for them

I download all the puppy ISOs I can find for upload to the archive.org puppy pages so have a lot, I also where possible upload pets, sfs, devx, blah blah so needed a fair bit of storage

I have 6 sata drives across 3 dual sata usb docks that used to be attached to one of my laptops but it annoyed me running all day so have now attached them to a pi running openmediavault

it's the dogs dangly bits, in addition to providing samba and nfs transfer on my lan it also serves dlna for media files

a second pi running kodi serves as a nice media player attached to the tv receiving the openmediavault files and a third pi running volumio for plain audio out to my hifi

the pi audio chip can only be described as adequate but better than listening on my laptop, a dac board is awaiting getting my @rse in gear and plumbing it in

openmediavault also allows me to offload any torrent downloads off my pc and seems to handle multiple file serves ok unless real heavy bandwidth downloads are happening, I am contemplating adding a single pi to each dock to cut down on usb/lan bottle necks

have a camera module 'in stock' for the next pi project when I have the other 3 setup to my liking, the best bit is a 6w (ish) power draw

:)

step

#6 Post by step »

A while ago I tested openmediavault with the pi 1 model B and found it way too slow to be useful as a low-end NAS. Are you using the pi 2 B?
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

festus

#7 Post by festus »

rokytnji wrote:Funny you mention that. Sweet Potato pie is cooking in the oven.
Mmmmm...my favorite pie

Thanks for the reminder

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

Mine is pie-eyed!!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Ted Dog

#9 Post by Ted Dog »

Lol topic was food pies and it goes back to hardware. Rare reverse bunny trail. Thanks for posting. I always hear about the free pies that I missed day or two later. Guess its the downside of avoiding social media

ally

#10 Post by ally »

@step

yes an rpi2, the pi1 worked ok as a server but the indexing was taxing, I will use a spare pi1 for the puppy file server which only has to handle file uploads and downloads and probably for the torrents

the usb and lan run on the same bus so multiple serves can cause some hiccups hence the planned multiple pi's, as long you don't have to reindex much the original pi shouldn't be much of a problem

I have run into power supply issues, all my hdd docks are powered but having all 4 usb's attached and hdmi is causing some drops

Ted Dog

#11 Post by Ted Dog »

I found a Y cable useful where one end is joined to same powersource ( dual USB ports each port 2A from a cell phone charger used as power supply ) saves the need for powered hub and by passes the polyfuse and voltage & current drop that fuse causes. Extra power seems to be feeding all USB ports not just the one plugged in.
Haven't seen anyone else use a Y usb powercable like I do. But is not any different from hubs in the power is generally directly wired to output sockets. Noticed better behavior of usb drives and now use same ( got more than one in a pack from Amazon add-on item list ) on my laptop. The usb dvd player also more stable with Y cable, yet to try DVD usb player with RaspberryPi2B. Which is a good thing, I would want to multisession and run in RAM. Which would work since puppylinux did support even smaller RAM 10 years ago.

Ted Dog

#12 Post by Ted Dog »

That arrangement of feeding 5v via usb Y cable also can power the pi without the normal tiny mini power connector. I do not know if the polyfuse is directional so not sure if there is a risk. Having the same sourced 5v on both sides of a polyfuse shouldn't be problem ( actually could prolong its life in high current situations like what is discussed )

Ted Dog

#13 Post by Ted Dog »

I am guessing something like this could do the same and be more useful in pi server
http://www.amazon.com/Cinolink%C2%AEUSB ... 014PCTNVU/ not a recommendation but a few dollars more than a Y cable and uses bare drives which sbould drop cost or allow reuse of existing laptop drives which for me is very cost effective.

ally

#14 Post by ally »

my drives are 3.5" so need a separate power supply:

http://www.amazon.com/ORICO-External-Do ... B00JJEUL5W

Ted Dog

#15 Post by Ted Dog »

Too rich for my pi projects :oops: and that would not back feed 5v replace one of your USB to micro plug with a Y version to stabilize 5v feed. I have an interesting idea to have raspberrypi2b ( or 3 version) feed off the standby 5v of old ATX power supply. Then have it kick on main server via wakeup ethernet when needed. It would also supply 12v for low powered LED lights and the harddrives and bluray ( this is for recording security cam footage from pi ) others have made atx power run and trigger rest of system ( power supply ) off GPIO. It is part of a larger idea to make a portable tiny house security and remote controlled lights and entertainment and 12v power with parts I already own. I do not like the problems I had to address with adding solar to RV power distribution and 12v charger. Added bonus is only electric wire nearby I have is full wave 220v and ATX powersupplys can due either.

ally

#16 Post by ally »

yes they were expensive but best option for me, I live on a pension so it wasn't an easy choice

there a number of atx power supply projects, was looking on google only last night as I'm hoping to build a easpberry pi ambilight for the telly which will need a 12v supply also

I've been very impressed with the serving abilities although I had a crash overnight which I suspect was multi torrent serves, will limit them in the future, although the pi survived the drive wigged out

I purchased a cheap (~£7) dac which I'll wire to the pi zero for the hifi music player and am planning on a wfi access point in the future

Ted Dog

#17 Post by Ted Dog »

Same here, I could joke that UK must payout a more living amount than USA but I highly doubt it. I read about the repeatedly stupid 'programs and social engineering' efforts to save them a penny while wasting a pound in program administration costs by UK.

Ted Dog

#18 Post by Ted Dog »

Oh back to the issues, lack of usable power at the USB ports, before investment in more pi's try this fix its cheap and if you look around you should be able to find a USB cable that needs replacing choice of a Y version with additional power only USB. I had issues really like yours and determined it was the very old and cheap USB cable going bad and was looking at hubs for pi at same time. That is why I took a education lowcost risk by getting a Y cable, could eliminate both issues if it was either one.
Hooked it up like you are supposed to two USB ports of same computer device. And problems continued. That gave me a hint it was more hardwired 5v across all pi USB ports. It is when I figured its a power related pi issue and could be solved cleanly by injection of 5v since easy to test by using a dual ported usb phone charger with the power only USB cable part.
Worked and every other usb device tried on other pi usb ports worked better. Those power bricks used to run 3.5 drives only supply 12v needed 5v is still left powered by pi.

NathanO

Pi Day

#19 Post by NathanO »

it is here once more, 3.14, Pi Day!

Have yourself a piece of Pi[e]!

Nathan

Burn_IT

#20 Post by Burn_IT »

Ted, it has been calculated that 85% of the cost of social care in the UK goes on administration and staff costs.
As an example.
I get a disability payment and they have decided to revamp the schemes and call it "Personal Independance Payment" so I have to fill in a 40 page form with all the information they already have and get ANOTHER letter from my doctor (which will cost me). The existing payment slips actually state that the payments last "for life"

I know they keep the forms because the last time I had to do one they pulled me up for saying something different to what I had said the previous time (it was an irrelevant detail anyway) They will also send me to another Dr again for yet another independant assessment and that will be at the other end of the country (and I WILL claim the expenses)
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett