ADSL Line Monitor

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
smokey01

ADSL Line Monitor

#1 Post by smokey01 »

I'm looking for a utility or process that will indicate if an ADSL signal is present on my phone line.

Occasionally when I'm watching Netflix or using VOIP I lose connection momentarily. I think the correct term is dropout. The dropout is usually only for a few seconds so it's not normally noticeable when browsing the web.

What I need is something that will monitor to see if the ADSL signal is present and when it's not, log it to a file. It would be nice to simply see when the status has changed from true to false and vice versa. The log could be as simple as:

24/02/2016 08:47:23 True
24/02/2016 08:48:30 False
24/02/2016 08:49:30 True

This would show me that the ADSL signal had dropped for one minute.

I'm trying to determine if there is something wrong with the line or my modem/router.

TIA

gcmartin

Re: ADSL Line Monitor

#2 Post by gcmartin »

That is why this thread was opened. It not a question of wireless usage, but rather one, of whether the taskbar icon, in all its glory, is helpful. This icon, in my view, is one of the most important elements in glancing to determine LAN status. It, at one time, provided WAN status, but seemingly might have gotten lost when the firestorm erupted last year over PUPPY's past method of LAN/WAN status.

Hoping for the icon to provide this kind of useful information ... at a glance.

smokey01

#3 Post by smokey01 »

You missed the point. I need a log of adsl status changes.

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

No, I dont think I did. That is what that thread is asking for. It list 3 items that is needed from the icon...if it can be presented.

The log, if available would show changes over time ... including drop-outs and drop-ins.

A log would go further in showing if it was your LAN address that dropped or if it was your WAN which dropped. ... or if neither.

smokey01

#5 Post by smokey01 »

gcmartin it would be easy enough to write a script to show if an internet connection was present using ping or curl. The problem is, it would have to continuously ping every second or so for at least 24 hours or more. This would cause quite a bit of overhead on the system and whatever was being pinged.

I'm trying to come up with a method of detecting the adsl signal on the line, or not, and having the changes logged.

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

Yes, although our language may be different, I am asking for the same thing, too.

I have an old Windows app, if I can find it, that worked hand-in-hand with a router that I once had, which was notified if the WAN disappeared. Seemingly it appeared that one of 3 actions was occurring:
  • router posting Windows of WAN change, or
  • Windows having a magic packet to some router table that provided notification
  • something in the UDP protocol was used
A Puppy approach might be different but the resulting info is what I hope is arrived at.

I'll await and see if something surfaces. Thx

8Geee

#7 Post by 8Geee »

It would seem that the 'network connector' (SNS Frisbee, Network Wizard) already do this with ifup and ifdown logic. Also the Modem/Router might have a statistic diagnostic that shows this. In usa I can accomplish this by checking the M/R, it has specific tools to view things like the line quality, max speed, subscribed speed, and dropouts. However it cannot popup a box that says OPPS I'm DC'd. For that, just like the rest of the world, I get a reset of my iso upload, or failed to establish connection warning box in the browser.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

Network Activity Indicator in Windows

http://www.itsamples.com
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

april

#9 Post by april »

How the heck do I delete this post? :?:
Last edited by april on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 08:28, edited 2 times in total.

april

#10 Post by april »

Does anyone know what frequency the adsl signal is coming at ?
No doubt it can be monitored by the computer but my first try would be to stick a meter across the phone line receptive to that frequency.

The other thing is your modem leds flash on data up and down , why not run another LED to the top of the box where you can see it. Just put it the right way in parallel . Both will be dimmed a bit but it will work. Nothing fancy needed to start.

So you have your modem and your splitter available. Logging it is another matter but these might give you other ideas cloudy one.