Live-CD not booting after 1st boot

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
GeorgeDuckett

Live-CD not booting after 1st boot

#1 Post by GeorgeDuckett »

Yesterday i found out about puppy linux and downloaded puppy-barebones-2.01r2.iso

I then burnt the image onto a CD-RW and booted up puppy on my laptop.
This worked fine. I spent a little while setting it up, connecting to the network etc which also worked.

I went to turn of the laptop, selecting save to CD. Sometimes this works and some times it just gives an error (i think the error is something like buffer error, EOF in stdin). I noted that /dev/hdc was read-only... shouldn't that be read/write if it's a burner? Could the problem be because it's a DVD reader / CD burner combo drive? BTW. puppy didn't automatically set the default bruner, it only set the CD/DVD ones - i had to set the default burner to /dev/hdc myself.

Like i say, sometimes it does report that it saved ok, but when i next turn my computer on it doesn't recognise the CD as bootable, and just boots up using my hard disk instead of the CD.

I really wanna sort this out because i don't want to use the HD at all, i only want to use the Live-CD, saving to that each time. So any help would be much appreciated!

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

how old is the computer's bios? reason i ask is that i've noticed some older bios's don't like booting from CD-R/W. maybe try burning to CD-R as an open live cd & see if there's any difference.

GeorgeDuckett

#3 Post by GeorgeDuckett »

The laptop can boot from the CDRW, since it did the first time. I can boot the Live-CD from a fresh ISO burn, just not having saved it (which doesn't always work).

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

oh well it was just a shot in the dark by me, since not having a burner, i've never used the write to CD option. i just vaguely recall barry favouring CD-R over CD-R/W, but it might just have been because of cost. we'll see if any of puppy's multisession crew has any solutions.

GeorgeDuckett

#5 Post by GeorgeDuckett »

Thanks for the help anyway. :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Tell us again how you burned your CD. If you want to save to the CD you have to burn it as a multisession CD. The best way to do that is use burniso2cd from Puppy.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

GeorgeDuckett

#7 Post by GeorgeDuckett »

I burnt it from windows using UltraISO, using the 'Track-at-Once' mode (as opposed to 'Disc-at-once'). That'd create a multisession one wouldn't it?

I can't use burniso2cd (or anything on puppy) because i'm running on the RAM disk and the iso image can't fit (apparently i only have ~60MB of ram free) although i should have much more free (the laptop's got 512MB of ram).

I've tried burning it again and it says it's about to write to the first track of the CD, then immediatly (without any writing) ejects the CD then stops. I've tried putting it back in etc. with no success.

Thanks for your help. :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

I've never used UltraISO but in general if the burning program you used didn't prominently say multisession somewhere then it probably didn't burn a multisession disk.

The Puppy iso doesn't need to be in RAM for burniso2cd to use it. You must have the Puppy iso on your hard drive somewhere, or UltraISO couldn't have burned your Puppy CD. Simply mount the hard drive (click on the "drives" icon on Puppy's desktop and then choose the drive that contains the Puppy iso) and then you can tell burniso2cd where the iso is.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Runemaster

#9 Post by Runemaster »

Some burning programs have the opt. to "finalize", which does not allow you to write to the cd again unless you completely wipe it clean and start all over again.

muggins

#10 Post by muggins »

it's curious that you can't boot the pupcd, & use it's burner program, because puppy's seeing insufficient ram. are you sure the free 60m isn't within the new window thingy(i've forgotten what it's called!)?

if you type free in a console window what does that report?

anyway barry's notes on burning multisession from windows cast a little bit of a shadow:
Burn to CD

To burn the ISO file to CD is different! You need different burner software, and in this case there are Windows tools.

If you have a running Puppy, once again this is the easiest. Just run Burniso2cd.

For any other CD burner program, Windows or Linux, be careful that "multisession" burn is chosen -- unfortunately, some Windows burner programs do not have this option.
....well, if you only have such a crappy Windows burner program, just burn a normal non-multisession-Puppy (you will have to use puppy-1.x.x-xxxxx.iso, without the "multisession" in the filename) and then you will have a normal Puppy live-CD -- run Puppy and then you will have access to Burniso2cd and many other lovely Linux burner programs.

Perkins

#11 Post by Perkins »

I would probably try it again with a normal CD-R. I have had problems with certain burners not liking certain flavours of CD-RW. Read what it's saying carefully, as it will probably tell you what's going wrong. ^S stops scrolling and ^Q starts it again in the terminal window, so you can pause and read what's going past. If the solution is not obvious, then post the errors you're getting and maybe somebody here can help you with it.

GeorgeDuckett

#12 Post by GeorgeDuckett »

I've tried burning it with CDBurnerXP Pro 3, as recommended on the puppy website. I left the 'close the disk' option unchecked.

I then booted up into puppy ok. I typed 'free' in the console, it reported that i had about 100000 free, that's KB is it? That still seems low as it was reporting the total as 200000. In any case what's the 61MB that's being reported?

I'm still having the same trouble with saving to the CD. The errors i get are as follows:

cdrecord: Premature EOF in stdin.
cdrecord: Input buffer error, aborting
cdrecord: fifo had 1 puts and 0 gets
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%
ls: /initrd/pup_rw/*.sfs: No such file or directory

Ted Dog

Multiple possible problems

#13 Post by Ted Dog »

one: -pad option used by cdrecord, mkisofs creates a blank space after each multisession on CD (anytype) that wastes space. But also makes use of a CD-RW difficult since it needs to be blanked prior to reburning base ISO file or data from last use can bleed into blank space and appear as corrupt data. a CD-R will not have this problem.

try: burn blank=full on CD-RW, or just try normally with a CD-R

two: if this is a combo drive DVD-rom / CD-only burner and it is in a laptop, or a early model of LG drive it will be confused by multisession and try to boot CD and fail, Switch to default boot and never try CD boot again. On Laptop remove battery and cold boot it a few times then try CMOS boot priority reset to CD first then HD second.

Try:A boot floppy can get this to work, if the computer BIOS gets confused by multisession, search the forum, there are a few boot floppy methods used.

three: only on very new drives, true high speed models will fail when asked to switch to the very low speeds the scripts try to force it to low. Again only very current new drives have this issue, low speeds are always better to burn most current and older burners

very rare: try other fixes first

four: DMA mode not being set correctly, some chipsets (VIA- C3 type etc) run better on lower speeds P-4 or P-2 type DMA modes

try: setting DMA mode

five: Use of microsoft tools forcing -J ( Joilet -MS filename support ) onto CD, will cause corruption ( CD can't mount in Linux, only in windows ) in random ways.

try: on first boot to puppy CD burn another using puppylinux, keep both one, for boot issues, the other to multisession

six: low memory available prior to save-back. Since your shuting down there is no good way to recover, the scripts try ( but never seem to work once an error has occured )

try: adding more RAM, or swap space.

Drucker

#14 Post by Drucker »

Found Puppy when it was at 1.07 and burned a multisession in windoze (can't 'member how now, Nero I think) and was running that way with great sucess. Even installed it to the HD on my laptop (dual boot).

Problem; Now, I have a bunch of CD/DVDs that I have burned multisession Puppy 2.02 on and after booting and setting it up than saving back to CD/DVD the disks will no longer boot.
They were burned using Burniso2cd in Puppy 2.02 and everything goes normal when saving back to the CD/DVD, I just can't ever boot from them again. If I boot from a new CD/DVD and don't save it than rebooting is no problem.

I am staying with 1.07 multisession for now unless I can iron this out.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

You don't say if the computer that won't boot 2.02 multisession is same the one that will boot multisession 1.07. :?

I've had the same problem as you, and accidentally solved it. It's been a while but I think I did this: boot a Puppy 2.02 CD or DVD (I don't think it matters which, for this) then replace the disk that you booted with one of the 2.02 multisession disks that won't boot, and shut down saving the session. See if it will boot then.

Drucker

#16 Post by Drucker »

Same machine, as a matter of fact both desktop & laptop is doing the same thing. I tried DVD on the desktop & CD on the laptop. Currently using LiveDVD Multisession 1.07 on the desktop with no problem. HD install on LT, but LiveCD Multi on LT worked fine (1.07).
I tried what you suggested, same thing - will not boot ( I have the HD disabled in the BIOS ) says to insert bootable media.
Seems to be an 2.02 issue for me as other versions worked fine. (1.07 at least ).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#17 Post by Flash »

Well, shoot. :?
Try enabling the HD in your BIOS but put the optical drive before the HD in the boot sequence. That way if you have a bootable CD or DVD in the drive the BIOS will boot that. If not it will go on to try to boot from the HD.

forkart

#18 Post by forkart »

Try using magiciso to burn iso image to cd. It works fine without any problem.
http://www.magiciso.com/

spamme0

Any resolution on second boot issue?

#19 Post by spamme0 »

I'm having the same problem. Can't boot multisession CD.
First shutdown, tell it to save to cd.
Get the errors mentioned in previous posts
and the CD ejects. If I stick it back in, it does
complete the write of the second session.

But the CD will no longer boot.
The drive is a Toshiba SD-R2312.

The multisession CD WILL boot just fine in my desktop
and three other laptops.

The multisession CD will NOT boot in a second laptop
with a Toshiba XM-1902 drive.

There appears to be a pattern here. Toshiba CD drives
don't seem to boot multisession CDs.

I went looking for CDROM flash updates without success.

Any further ideas on this subject? Workaround?
Thanks, mike

Perkins

#20 Post by Perkins »

Firstly, is this an external or an internal drive? I've got an external drive, and I've never even been able to get puppy to boot from it. A lot of the Toshiba external drives seem to pretend to be a floppy disk for part of the bootup, and then change to being CD. Puppy tends to get all confuzzled when this happens as suddenly his files aren't where he expects them to be.

My guess would be that you need a more specific driver. Toshiba does some odd things with its drives, and generic drivers don't always seem to work. Beyond that I really can't think of much.