Multisession cd-r/dvd-r problem after saving the config

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
losl

Multisession cd-r/dvd-r problem after saving the config

#1 Post by losl »

I burn Puppy2.02 on multisession cd-r/dvd-r. It boots perfectly in the 1st time, i svaed the config on them during shutdown. Then they fail to boot again afterwards. It looks like the the dvd drives ( i have 2 ide dvd drives one is BenQ dvd burner DW1620 the other one is LG dvd rom GDR8162B) could not read the first track which holds the bootup information. I tried both drives still no luck. In WinXP the multisession cd-r/dvd-r is displayed correctly. All the files of Puppy (track0, i think), the following saved folder and files can be read. Furthermore the cd-r/dvd-r work with no problem when i use a bootable (Wakeup) floppy to boot. All the saved config is loaded correctly.
Is it caused by my hardware (IDE dvd drives)?
Is there a workaround for this problem, making my disks with saved config to become bootable again?

Thank you!!

SLo

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Try this: boot with a CD or DVD, whichever will boot, then replace it with the one that won't boot and shut down, saving changes. Maybe the bad one will boot after that.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

ibnturab

#3 Post by ibnturab »

I've been having the same trouble with dvd-r/cd-r becoming not bootable once saving at end of session. I have tried it using 3 different cd/dvd drives with 2 different computers and about 10 disks of cd-rw/dvd-rw/dvd-r/cd-r/dvd+rw media. Although I new to linux [like 4 days], i've been burning dvds and cd-rws for years and i've setup the bios correctly to boot from optical drive first. My guess is that it might have to do with the incompatibility with certain cd/dvd drives once puppy starts shutting down and enters the burn process.

I do have one question, I've noticed that some users state that they choose 'save' from the desktop. Where is the icon for this [i'm using the latest puppy 2.02] ? I only found that option once i go to the restart pc or poweroff .
Last edited by ibnturab on Sun 13 Aug 2006, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I think the "save" icon on the desktop only appears after the disk is successfully booted as a multisession for the first time.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

losl

#5 Post by losl »

ibnturab wrote:I do have one question, I've noticed that some users state that they choose 'save' from the desktop. Where is the icon for this [i'm using the latest puppy 2.02] ? I only found that option once i go to the restart pc or poweroff .
After saving the config and settings at the end of the first session, the Puppy 2.02 multisession cd-r/dvd-r is no more bootable. Then i booted it up with a wakepup floppy a "SAVE" icon automatically appeared on my desktop. I could use it to save (burns new track) in the middle of the session without shutdown Puppy. Hope this help!!

SLo

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

losl, does the disk boot OK after you saved with the desktop icon?

losl

#7 Post by losl »

Flash wrote:losl, does the disk boot OK after you saved with the desktop icon?
No!

SLo

#8 Post by 3133 »

Multi-session works perfectly on all five desktops on my LAN, but will not reboot after saving the first session on any of three laptops. Maybe the fault is due to the mini cd/dvd drives used in laptops, although I can't think why.

jolphil

Same here

#9 Post by jolphil »

I have the same problem as losl ...
After I save the config files puppy will no longer boot..I have tried different methods of creating multisession cd-r's/dvd-r's and each apears to have one track like it should..It boots fine but when I shut down and save to my MSessioned cd-r boot disk it tries to save to my plextor PX-708A drive but complains about a I/O error and opens the tray then closes it and appears to write the config files on track2..So far so good, then it refuses to reboot..I have made about a half dozen coasters...What am I doing wrong?
jolphil

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Hi jolphil,

Sorry you can't get multisession to work. As you can see from other posts in this forum, you're not alone. My guess is, you're not doing anything wrong. Rather, there is a bug somewhere in Puppy. Call it a flea. :)

If you boot a regular (non-multisession) Puppy CD and then replace it with a multisession CDs that won't boot, you can mount the bad CD to look at its contents. Would you do that and post what you see to this thread?

If you use the "Drives" icon on the desktop to mount the CD you get a graphical listing of the disk contents. You can use Menu -> Graphic processing -> mtPaint-snapshot screen capture to take a screen shot of it. (Please, use mtPaint to crop and resize it, to something less than 800 x 600 jpeg, before you post it to the forum.)

jolphil

Hi Flash

#11 Post by jolphil »

Thank you for the quick reply..
I have done extra testing to determine why it won't reboot..FWIW
I looked in both K3B and there are indeed two sessions showing..
Additionaly I looked at the disks on another computer and used the
Nero Tool info and it shows all my cd's that won't boot in my computer
as ISO9660 and"bootable" with plenty of space left on the disk..
I am guessing that my BIOS will look at the second track and ignore the first track where the boot info is..As mentioned it is just my guess..

I've had enough coasters for the time being..I'll wait to see if there is a solution to this "FLEA" hehe
Otherwise it is a great OS and Kudos to Barry K
jolphil
Edit later:I will try to show the contents of the cd..Don't hold your breath as I am not good at this..

jolphil

see if this works

#12 Post by jolphil »

this is from the multisession cd that won't boot..
Attachments
snapshot1a.png
(14.56 KiB) Downloaded 1792 times

raffy

cant boot

#13 Post by raffy »

Sorry if I missed this point in your posts, but have you tried using the same bad CD/DVD to boot successfully in other machines? (like from laptop to desktop PC). And is that bad CD from what setup (desktop PC, DVD type)?

3133 above suggests that it is only a laptop issue...
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

jolphil

#14 Post by jolphil »

Sorry if I missed this point in your posts, but have you tried using the same bad CD/DVD to boot successfully in other machines? (like from laptop to desktop PC). And is that bad CD from what setup (desktop PC, DVD type)?
Unfortunately My older machine will not boot from the cdrom drive... The BAD cd(both cd-r and dvd-r disks) is burned from my desktop, a newer machine I built around 3 yrs ago..Older machine is also a desktop I built around 6 yrs ago that my wife uses..
It's an antique..But thanks for the suggestion tho..
jolphil

jolphil

#15 Post by jolphil »

Look what I found when trying to burn another dvd for Puppy 2.02 in K3B ..Could this be the reason losi and all the others including myself are having problems booting after we save a session?
Attachments
snapshot1.png
(57.76 KiB) Downloaded 1542 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

Could be, although it seems obvious that multisession can't work on a DVD-ROM. One way to find out is to use Puppy's burniso2cd, instead of k3b, to make the multisession CD or DVD.

jolphil

#17 Post by jolphil »

I thought I would try your suggestion of booting puppy (2.02) from a previously saved .iso disk..Then Since my desktop did not have a hard drive connected(removed a HD rack) and just used the bootable cd..
Then I downloaded another puppy that was saved to the My-Documents folder in puppy itself..
Opened burn2cd and browsed to the My documents folder to find puppy..
Burned the blank cd-r disk with the first session..It burned fine..
Re-booted with the newley burned disk and puppy booted again..
I then configured my eth0 card and a few things and shutdown-save to cd
and burn a second session..It burned but the tray opened and closed and then burned a second sessiom..
After that the cd will NOT boot on my computer even though it shows two saved sessions..
I have tried various ways to work around but I guess my Plextor px-708A will not boot correctly by reading both sessions..(just a guess)
I have to give up for now until someone finds a solution...
It would be interesting in those working and Non-working multi-session puppies in what brand of cd drives they use to see if there is a pattern..
Thanks all for your help..
jolphil

jolphil

update

#18 Post by jolphil »

From my last post it was unclear whether it was the burner (plextor PX708A) or my motherboard BIOS..
I have taken an old pc in my garage with a no name cd burner and puppy will multisession on it just fine..Even the saved second session..and it re-boots with the saved sessions..
I removed the cd burner from the old computer and temporarily installed it into my desktop
which had the plextor in it and went through the process of booting puppy2.02..
I burned an multisession disk with burn2cd and then shut down puppy and burned the second session with the configuration saves..It burned but will not re-boot on my desktop..
Thus I fear my problem is my bios and not the cd burner which worked fine in the very old garage computer..I read thru my motherboard book on the asus P4P800deluxe but cannot see any reason it will not work..
jolphil :cry:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

I don't remember if you said you tried older versions of Puppy. If not, maybe you could try, say, Puppy 1.0.8 multisession to see if it works for you.

jolphil

#20 Post by jolphil »

No I did not mention it but I did try 1.08
jolphil