"Sure I am free. Look how loud I am allowed to rattle my chains"

http://blog.dankim.com/2006/02/10/fasci ... can-style/

Anyone else with a rattle?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

My objection to his argument is that he seems to blame Fascism entirely on the leaders, as though left to themselves the people would never do such a thing. I just don't think that's true. I'm pretty sure those leaders he names of Fascist countries were basically the scum that floated to the top of a movement. Sure, they were ambitious men who took advantage of a general feeling and even abetted it, but they didn't and don't cause it.

Violent groups seem to be endemic to the U.S., from the KKK to various "survivalist" groups determined to be the last ones standing after the second coming -- or the breakdown of society, whichever comes first. A spark is all it will take to set them to doing the same kinds of things Hitler's brownshirts did in Germany. More and more it looks like "illegal" immigration could provide that spark. I believe Bush is actually doing his best to prevent a conflagration, but his record is not one that inspires confidence.

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

A while back, someone made a comment about patriotism, which sent me thinking. Then I realized, it isn't patriotism toward the country, but toward the people that I feel. I don't and never have given a rat's rear about the government itself, but I do care about the people it governs. To me, the flag is a symbol for the people, not the government. When I say I'm proud of my country, I am not saying that I'm proud of the government, but of the citizens. So, if loving your neighbor is fascism, then you got me. But I don't think so.

As to the government, well, have you ever tried to keep roughly 295,734,134 people from collapsing into anarchy? The US is the third largest country in the world (by size and population). 9,161,923 sq km, or "almost two and a half times the size of the European Union" to quote the CIA Wold Factbook. The UK, on the other hand, is 241,590 sq km, or "slightly smaller than Oregon" (one of our fifty states), and has 60,441,457 people or so (about a fifth our population). Then take into acount the differences in ethnicity. We are the melting pot, after all. Native Americans, Chinese, Irish, Germans, Mexicans, Africans, etc. Along with that comes varied cultures, religions, beliefs, etc.

Are you starting to get the idea? This is why we have so much turmoil within our borders. Even if you work out a compromise with the majority, our minority is larger than many countries. Then you have to take into account the tendancy for people to try to find problems with the top country. If some other country were in our place, everyone would be busy finding its problems instead of ours. Every country has them. Ours is just bigger and in the spotlight.

Not that I'm saying our problems should be ignored. I'm just saying that a watermelon is heavier than an apple, so of course it will hurt more when it is dropped on your head. The USA isn't going to be as streamlined as a smaller country, just like a pickup truck isn't going to be as agile as a motorcycle.

Just something to consider before you start comparing Hondas to F-150's.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

MU

#4 Post by MU »

I did not read the article, just some lines, as I am tired.
But from similar "lists" I know, you should not see only 1 aspect.
Just if 70% or so come together, it might bean indicator.

Same with alcohol-tests.
If you can't sleep, but never drink, you have no alcohol-problem.
Ifyou can't sleep, drink your beer every day, and start being unconcentrated, it mightbe an indicator of alcoholism.

Greets and good night, Mark