Work on the test forum

Using applications, configuring, problems
rockedge

Work on the test forum

#1 Post by rockedge »

There is a proposed setup of the Puppy Linux Forum ready here ->

https://puppylinux.rockedge.org

At this time there is NO murga forum data integrated into the new version. Test transfers will take place before any major transfer occurs to ensure the original murga forum and all it's data and attachment files are backed up and preserved then carried on through to the new version.

The test forum site uses two similar themes to clearly identify the Puppy Linux sections from the Dog House section. I did this to play around with installing themes and is also completely experimental.

Everything is up for suggestions and ideas as this is a TEST site to practice a upgrade of the forum software and the capability to run in https or http.

Thanks for all the participants in the testing phase. Any ideas on custom BBcodes to add to the ones the murga forum offers on the new version will be considered and tested, so let the ideas flow.

There is no rush or hurry but a movement in this direction will help this Forum and community continue to thrive in the future. And will give us a running, reliable forum for the next 10 years or so.

rockedge

#2 Post by rockedge »

another plus, the new phpBB version has all the legal things needed to comply to the EU and other locations and the regulations concerning cookies, tracking and contact pages.

We'll figure out the UK's requirements as time goes on and BREXIT is or isn't

dancytron

#3 Post by dancytron »

When registering, the only language choice was "UK English".

Other than that, everything seemed okay.

rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

When registering, the only language choice was "UK English".
Good point, so I expedited installing some language packs.

I just added language packs for German,French,Spanish,Portuguese, Japanese,Russian and U.S. English.

I'll add more as the packs for the different languages are updated for phpBB v 3.2.8 and become available

perdido

#5 Post by perdido »

Hi rockedge,

Looking at the new forum layout compared to this murga forum, this murga forum utilizes the full width of my screen edge to edge on my 24" monitor while the new forum layout uses about 60% of the width of my 24" with dead areas both left and right of the the forum page.
Discussed some here https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2413696

Makes me wonder if John Murga has a plugin for doing the full-width screen?
Attachments
rockedge-forum.jpg
(50.76 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
murga-forum.jpg
(55.51 KiB) Downloaded 308 times

Terry H

#6 Post by Terry H »

Seems to render OK on my laptop 13.3 inch 1366 x 768.

Edit: This was my default view just a little white space, to get a view similar to perdidio's I have to zoom out (Ctrl -) about 4 or 5 times from my default view.
Attachments
newforum.png
(102.66 KiB) Downloaded 292 times

rockedge

#7 Post by rockedge »

Hello perdido,

Good tip !! I have modified the css so the pages use the entire screen width.

rockedge

#8 Post by rockedge »

Just added Arabic language pack

perdido

#9 Post by perdido »

rockedge wrote:Hello perdido,

Good tip !! I have modified the css so the pages use the entire screen width.
Looks the same on both sites now.
My resolution is 1920x1080 and it is all forum now :)

rockedge

#10 Post by rockedge »

@Terry H

Hello! do the pages display full width on your system as well?

Terry H

#11 Post by Terry H »

rockedge wrote:@Terry H

Hello! do the pages display full width on your system as well?
Yes, since you changed the css, the screen now only has a small border. Zooming in or out still fills the screen now, the border does not change, content only is zoomed.

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

rockedge wrote:Any ideas on custom BBcodes to add to the ones the murga forum offers on the new version will be considered and tested, so let the ideas flow...
Perhaps a 'thumbs-up' smiley? It's one I've often wished the Murga forum offered....

There's this one in use over at BleepingComputer (they seem to employ a right mixture there, culled from multiple sources):-

BBcode:- :thumbup2:

Or there's these two, from the Palemoon forum.....also modern phpBB, so probably a better match:-

Image (:thumbup:)

Image (:thumbdown:)

Any good?

Mike. :wink:

rockedge

#13 Post by rockedge »

Hello Mike!

All set, I put all 3 into the smilies selection, write a post and check them out....

Mike Walsh

#14 Post by Mike Walsh »

rockedge wrote:Hello Mike!

All set, I put all 3 into the smilies selection, write a post and check them out....
Nice one, mate. Much appreciated. As you know, I use a whole bunch of the Skype smileys from time to time, but to my mind the 'thumbs-up/thumbs-down' ought to be standard for pretty much any forum worth its salt....

dancytron

#15 Post by dancytron »

Just one comment/suggestion.

Another board I am on uses the latest PHPbb software and it has all kinds of functionality where people can embed youtube, twitter etc etc etc.

Anyway, it gets way overused, really bogs down the pages, and takes a lot of memory, sometimes even causing a browser crash.

IMHO, especially for this group with all its obsolete browsers and low memory computers, you should turn all the crap off if you can and to the extent you can't, outlaw it.

edit: At least for youtube and twitter, it already seems to be turned off. Keep up the good work.

Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

dancytron wrote:Just one comment/suggestion.

Another board I am on uses the latest PHPbb software and it has all kinds of functionality where people can embed youtube, twitter etc etc etc.

Anyway, it gets way overused, really bogs down the pages, and takes a lot of memory, sometimes even causing a browser crash.

IMHO, especially for this group with all its obsolete browsers and low memory computers, you should turn all the crap off if you can and to the extent you can't, outlaw it.

edit: At least for youtube and twitter, it already seems to be turned off. Keep up the good work.
^^^ + 1 !!!!

Couldn't agree more.....

rockedge

#17 Post by rockedge »

Hello dancytron,

We're going for functionality and reliability for the Puppy Linux forum so I am using many less bells and whistles. I have modeled most of the test forum on the original murga forum's functions and options with small tweaks here and there. I like that I can run a huge range of browsers that can parse the murga forum on a broad range of machines from really low powered and creaking along in their second decade to multi core cpu's with 8 plus gigs of RAM and terabyte HDD's newer models of computer.

Strong on a good variety of language options, works on mobile devices, laptops and desktops.

perdido

#18 Post by perdido »

Just some open thoughts about maintaining/moderating own topics started and an ignore list.

And an extension from 2018 that may allow maintaining/moderating own topics.
This is actually the final release of the first link I posted. xxx'd the other one out.
https://phpbb-extensions.ga/dakinquelia ... eowntopics

How to enable each registered forum user to moderate his own thread.
Best solution I have seen so far.
[̶u̶r̶l̶]̶h̶t̶t̶p̶s̶:̶/̶/̶g̶i̶t̶h̶u̶b̶.̶c̶o̶m̶/̶D̶a̶k̶i̶n̶Q̶u̶e̶l̶i̶a̶/̶p̶h̶p̶B̶B̶3̶1̶-̶M̶o̶d̶e̶r̶a̶t̶e̶-̶O̶w̶n̶-̶T̶o̶p̶i̶c̶s̶[̶/̶u̶r̶l̶]̶

And another possibility about halfway down the page
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=1216515

-------------------
Will dig around for how to ignore certain users now.
Not that anyone would want that option <g>

Foe list built in already.
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ends_foes/

pcplague2

#19 Post by pcplague2 »

Created account and when in the new users forum I was going to congratulate rockedge, couldn't post because I'm inactive, the confirmation mail was in spam folder and the forum doesn't occupy all my screen (using Google chrome Versão 83.0.4103.97 in win 10 1909).
Paulo Pestana <- All the way from Portugal 8)