New ISP via Eth0 opening some web pages, not others (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
fernan

New ISP via Eth0 opening some web pages, not others (Solved)

#1 Post by fernan »

Hello. New ISP installed today. Connected my bionicpup64 desktop computer to the eth0 port, not wireless, to get better speed. After getting an IP, I can open just a few sites (Google, Gmail, Facebook) but most of the internet gives me a "no connection" error, like unreachable sites (including murga-linux, I'm writing this from my laptop which can connect through wireless)

I'd like to see if it's a problem with the linux driver for this ethernet card, or any other problem that I could solve configuring some parameter, or any problem with this ISP service that I should ask to solve.

My laptop running Bionicpup64 connects perfectly with wireless.

Windows 7 connects perfectly through eth0 in the same machine Bionicpup64 can't connect.

A fresh install (PFIX=RAM) can't connect either.

Ethernet card is identified by HardInfo as a Silicon Integrated System SIS 191, using the sis190 kernel module.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Subito Piano

#2 Post by Subito Piano »

Have you tried a different browser?
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D
(A/V Linux for live digital synth needs)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

I found this that worked for someone with this hardware.
The MTU setting was too high.
Puppy default is 1500.

In a terminal, enter these commands, one at a time.
Press enter, each time, to make the command function.

Code: Select all

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 mtu 1024
ifconfig eth0 up
---> implementation <---
the driver of vendor sis can use maximum mtu 1024.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jafadmin

#4 Post by jafadmin »

Please, please, please .. Stop using your browser to test your network connection. It's like trying to use your television to test electrical circuits.

Use 'ping', please. Run these two commands:

ping 1.1.1.1

ping yahoo.com

If those fail, run 'ifconfig' and share the results with us.

fernan

#5 Post by fernan »

Thanks very much.

I have 4 browsers installed, all with the same problem. (Palemoon, latest Firefox, Chrome, Vivaldi), and all worked OK 1 day before, with a PCI wireless card with other ISP (wireless is not installed now)

I'll try that "1500" to "1024" change and post back.

If it doesn't work, I'll try to PING to some known sites and IPs.

Actually, I'm not using the browser to test the ethernet connection, I'm using the browser to browse the Internet, and that's the thing not working by now, I don't know the cause yet. As mentioned , just a few sites open, but most of them not.

fernan

#6 Post by fernan »

UPDATE:

Changing MTU to 1024 did the trick, worked, but after a reboot it's not working.

Do I need to make this change permanent, or run a script to change that MTU at every boot?

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

I'm using this so your set up will be different.

You should have an "interface" file in either /etc/network of /etc/network-wizard. Open and edit this file like so.

After a reboot you can check what's happening by opening your connection from the tray.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

fernan

#8 Post by fernan »

Thanks.

Editing the interface file in /etc/network-wizard didn't work. It seems the MTU is set by another config file.

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Then it must be the network script in /etc/rc.d.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Fernan, did you connect to your old ISP via Eth0, or is this the first time you plugged the Ethernet cable into your desktop computer + Bionicpup64?

I'm asking because I don't understand how switching to a different ISP could have caused this, assuming nothing else changed.

fernan

#11 Post by fernan »

I didn't use the old ISP with Ethernet, since the old modem was far from the computer. This new ISP installed a new modem on the desktop beside the CPU.

Changing MTU from 1500 to 1024 solves the issue, but I need a way to make this change permanent.

Editing the mentioned config files didn't solve this. MTU keeps being 1500 after a reboot.

I could easily add a script at boot, eth0 down , change MTU, eth0 up again, but I'm not sure how this will interact with other apps like time sync for example.

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

You haven't mentioned which network manager you've used.

For this, there's only one way to find out.
I could easily add a script at boot, eth0 down, change MTU, eth0 up again, but I'm not sure how this will interact with other apps like time sync for example.
Look @ it this way, your connection is sketchy with an MTU of 1500.

Set your script and test. There are several articles out there for figuring optimal MTU values.

fernan

#13 Post by fernan »

I use usually Puppy Network Wizard.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

Fernan, if you have Bionicpup64 on a CD or DVD, will you boot it with the RAM-only boot option (I forget the exact wording, puppy pfix=ram?) and see if it automatically finds the right settings for Eth0? Puppy has never had a problem connecting via Ethernet for me, but my ISP is Cox Cable.

fernan

#15 Post by fernan »

As mentioned, a RAM boot doesn't connect either. This ISP is Coax Cable too. Previous ISP was ADSL but never used the wired connection.

As Bigpup pointed, the problem seems related to MTU and this SIS ethernet card.

I've done several tries, and MTU up to 1496 works. If I go to the default 1500, it stops working. This matches the suggested methods to test the optimal MTU for a network, I was increasing the packages sizes until the ping stops responding. Up to 1468 it replies. The instructions to find the MTU say to add 28 to that number, and that makes 1496.

It seems, what I need now, is a way to automatically have the MTU set to 1496 instead of the default 1500.

fernan

#16 Post by fernan »

By now I've edited the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, added this lines:

Code: Select all

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 mtu 1496
ifconfig eth0 up
And after a reboot everything seems to work, MTU set to 1496, Internet working.

Semme

#17 Post by Semme »

Are you happy with rc.local handling your modded connection?

fernan

#18 Post by fernan »

I'm sure this is not the most polite way to do it, I'd like to modify the "default" 1500 number, but this solution seems to work without modifying the Puppy OS.

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

PeasyWiFi from the other page handles ethernet. You can include your mod like in the code block here.

fernan

#20 Post by fernan »

Thanks. I'll try that.