Example of using Xnest to Display a SSH Remote Session

Using applications, configuring, problems
rockedge

Example of using Xnest to Display a SSH Remote Session

#1 Post by rockedge »

For experimentation and proof of concept I set up a custom built Xenial-7.5-CE 32 bit from woof-CE and outfitted the system with the office package from Softmaker, Wine with several Windows programs, conky and some other tools.

On another machine I have a Bionic64 bit OS running set up with Dropbear as the SSH server. I Downloaded Dropbear and compiled on Bionic64. Then installed Xnest using the PPM in Bionic64.

On the Xenial machine installed pUTTY as the remote client but the stock SSH client included in Xenial and all Puppy's works just as well.

On the Xenial machine started pUTTY and connected to the BIonic64 and in the putty terminal started Xnest with

Code: Select all

Xnest :1
then in the pUTTY terminal used

export DISPLAY=:1
and in the pUTTY terminal started JWM with

jwm &
which starts the JWM desktop from Bionic64 in the Xnest window displaying on the Xenial machine. Once jwm is running in Xnest open a terminal and use

rox -p default
which will now provide jwm and the rox pinboard from Bionic64 in Xnest which is displaying and running X11 forwarded on the Xenial32 desktop, in princiable supplying a fully functional version of the Bionic64 desktop running remotely on Xenial32.

Xenial-7.5-CE is woof-CE built and is running on a DELL INSPIRON E1505 laptop
Bionic64-CE is woof-CE built and is running on a DELL OPTIPLEX 990 desktop.

This may or may not have any practical use but it does help train and understand networking a little better.
Attachments
xnest-ssh-3png.png
(70.18 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
xnest-ssh-2.png
(153.61 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Last edited by rockedge on Thu 30 Apr 2020, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

rockedge

#2 Post by rockedge »

A small how-to for installing a Dropbear SSH server on Bionic is now in the How To section
here -> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=118647