What AMD opencl drivers for BionicPup64 8.0?

Using applications, configuring, problems
elmismo

What AMD opencl drivers for BionicPup64 8.0?

#1 Post by elmismo »

hi, what amd opencl drivers are compatible with this version BionicPup64 8.0? where are they available? and how I install them. Thank you

enrique

Re: drivers amd opencl BionicPup64 8.0

#2 Post by enrique »

elmismo
BionicPup64 8.0 is build from Ubuntu Bionic.
Since 2016 AMD change aptitude, and driver information other than its proprietary is limited to none. So quick answer if you have one of the latest AMD product you should use AMD proprietary drivers.

So as result there are some AMD Open Source Drivers. There are notes that it should work for recent AMD GPU. But tutorials on how to implement Opencl is limited to none in the net. Confusing No!

If you have old hardware prior GCN 1.0 the suggested method is to run OLD pre 2016 OS.

SOOOO00000ooooooo
The question is what is your hardware model?

I have a hybrid laptop with Intel and an old Turks GPU. I took the old driver and created a series of upgrades to make it work for Opencl on latest kernel 4.19. You can look at

How to do Opencl programming with AMD CPU? - Solved

enrique

elmismo

#3 Post by elmismo »

enrique wrote:elmismo
BionicPup64 8.0 is build from Ubuntu Bionic.
Since 2016 AMD change aptitude, and driver information other than its proprietary is limited to none. So quick answer if you have one of the latest AMD product you should use AMD proprietary drivers.

So as result there are some AMD Open Source Drivers. There are notes that it should work for recent AMD GPU. But tutorials on how to implement Opencl is limited to none in the net. Confusing No!

If you have old hardware prior GCN 1.0 the suggested method is to run OLD pre 2016 OS.

SOOOO00000ooooooo
The question is what is your hardware model?

I have a hybrid laptop with Intel and an old Turks GPU. I took the old driver and created a series of upgrades to make it work for Opencl on latest kernel 4.19. You can look at

How to do Opencl programming with AMD CPU? - Solved

enrique
I have an amd r9 380x gcn 3 I require opencl in linux mint it works fine but I wanted a lighter version I thought that with pupy I could but apparently not

enrique

#4 Post by enrique »

elmismo
This is what I say if you have recent model
enrique wrote:...So quick answer if you have one of the latest AMD product you should use AMD proprietary drivers...
So I guess you get the drivers from

Code: Select all

AMDGPU-PRO
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-radpro-lin-16-40

or old Radeon from
https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-300-series/amd-radeon-r9-380x
Just as in the rest of the net, there is not much recent information here in the forum. In practice AMD kill OpenCL for the general public use. That is a fact. All GPU been build where sold to miners. Leaving the general public empty handed.

Ironic, A single OpenCL implementation mining, kill OpenCL it self.

I wonder what use do you give it?

enrique

#5 Post by enrique »

Upss! I got distracted trying to correct your comment about Puppy.

I can not test if this can work or not as my two AMD are old. But I did found in the past testimonials of people claiming that they did OpenCL without AMD proprietary drivers. Just using default Bionic open source driver amdgpu. And using recent hardware.

My suggestion is for you to create a new Puppy Save and try it it may work for you. You need the following packages

Code: Select all

clinfo ocl-icd-libopencl1 mesa-opencl-icd ocl-icd-dev ocl-icd-libopencl1 
ocl-icd-opencl-dev opencl-1.2-man-doc opencl-headers
Untested as my hardware does not allow me to do so.

Good luck. If it work for you please let us know.
enrique