How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
amigo

#41 Post by amigo »

dd if=some.img of=somedrive-or-image bs=1 count=446
writes only the bootsector
dd if=some.img of=some-image-of-partiton-table bs=1 seek=446 count=16
will write only the partition table

You'll need to study the use of dd -especially seek and skip options

The utility of your idea is doubtful. If the person has already partitioned the drive and (worse) already placed files there, then you will have a hard time preserving their files -if you simply dd a hybrid image, then that will blow away their partition table and hence their files.

If you simply want a way to boot various systems from the same drive, then the best way is to include code in the initrd which finds and boot the system -or even better use menu entries for the bootloader since that lets you use various ḱernels as well.

L18L

#42 Post by L18L »

amigo wrote:If you simply want a way to boot various systems from the same drive, then the best way is to include code in the initrd which finds and boot the system -or even better use menu entries for the bootloader since that lets you use various ḱernels as well.
If you simply want a way to boot various systems from the same drive, then another (simpler) way is rcrsn51's isobooter

Sorry for getting OT

Puppus Dogfellow

#43 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

amigo wrote:dd if=some.img of=somedrive-or-image bs=1 count=446
writes only the bootsector
dd if=some.img of=some-image-of-partiton-table bs=1 seek=446 count=16
will write only the partition table

You'll need to study the use of dd -especially seek and skip options

The utility of your idea is doubtful. If the person has already partitioned the drive and (worse) already placed files there, then you will have a hard time preserving their files -if you simply dd a hybrid image, then that will blow away their partition table and hence their files.

If you simply want a way to boot various systems from the same drive, then the best way is to include code in the initrd which finds and boot the system -or even better use menu entries for the bootloader since that lets you use various ḱernels as well.
it may not be particularly practical or feasible, or maybe even possible, but these obstacles aside, i think there's some utility in being able to drag and drop operating systems in order to install them onto flash drives. i of course realize the skill set it would take to realize this is leagues away from my own. i do appreciate your feedback and guidance, though. what i was hoping to do was bypass dd if at all possible. if the user has a dummy drive set up for just the purpose of getting the files for a hybridized image, then those could be copied to another location for later use and the dummy drive (maybe one of those old 2gb or 4gb dealies that sometimes turn up) reused to get another set of hybrid iso files for yet another drive or future transfer. the end goal would be the fastest way to put a new operating system on a drive, even if that drive has preexisting files on it. i'm pretty new to all this, so i'm not sure how off the wall it is--i just know what i've seen other scripts do. something has to be able to read the drive data and the OS data and output this information--could a file or gui be made (again, i'm not requesting anybody go out of their way for this--i just want to know if it could be done) that, given (either by way of input field or having had the drive and/or OS file dragged onto a script) the correct and necessary info, can automate or simplify the initrd editing necessary for the drive to boot and operate correctly?

again, thanks for your time.
L18L wrote:L18L
PostPosted: Today, at 07:08 Post subject:
amigo wrote:
If you simply want a way to boot various systems from the same drive, then another (simpler) way is rcrsn51's isobooter

Sorry for getting OT
thanks for the link, L18L.

also, sorry for hijacking your thread ETP :oops:

getting back to the original topic, what would be the method for hybridizing an iso file and then creating a bootable f2fs installation of it on a flash drive?

thanks.

slavvo67

#44 Post by slavvo67 »

The following thread by Bigpup discusses a very good Unetbootin option.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99826

This is an install to USB but Bigpup also references a way to save back to the same USB via the Pupsave file.

This is another USB option but it is certainly not being mentioned to take away from this hybrid option, which worked easily and was excellent.

Best,

Slavvo67

perdido

#45 Post by perdido »

Puppy Upupbb 19.03 (Bionicpup32) now has the utilities to create a live usb stick and convert the unused space into an additional partition workspace.

I wrote about my findings in the BionicPup32 thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 30#1039030