Sylk - Video Calling & Conferencing using SIP and WebRTC

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
OscarTalks

Sylk - Video Calling & Conferencing using SIP and WebRTC

#1 Post by OscarTalks »

Just wanted to give a mention to this from AG Projects.
Sylk is a standalone client for video calling and conferencing using WebRTC and SIP.
It is available as 32bit or 64bit AppImage for Linux.
Download, make executable, and then run it.
I gave it a quick test in my remastered Dpup Stretch and was able to make some basic test calls.
The Settings dialog does not open from the menu for me, but in the Preview mode I could select my input devices. DTMF tones are not being sent down the line during a call so I can't select options.
Anyway, looks like they are still developing it.
http://sip2sip.info
Attachments
sylk.jpg
Sylk SIP/WebRTC client in Dpup Stretch
(29.94 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
Oscar in England

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

Is only a sip2sip account required? Can you log-in with an ekiga call-out (diamondcard) account? It works in upupee but I'm not able to open Settings. I have only tested with a sip2sip account and calling public testing iptel addresses.

OscarTalks

#3 Post by OscarTalks »

Good question. I took another look and I can't see any way of using any other account, only a sip2sip account. This is not very good as SIP is supposed to be something which you can use across different providers and different clients. Maybe as development continues they will introduce this. Maybe if the Settings would open there would be something in there.

The same people (AG Projects) do also produce the "Blink" SIP client which is quite good and does accept other SIP accounts. I have had this running in Debian Dog by installing via apt, but in Puppy I have not figured out how to install or compile it. I am happy with my Linphone (plus PSIP sometimes) for SIP calling and occasionally appear.in for WebRTC which requires no log-in of course.
Oscar in England

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

Blink for Mobile apk can't be installed on the android 7.1 tablet of my wife. There is an unspecified error during the installation. I'll keep seiing the news about sylk development.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Thanks for this , Oscar. Looks interesting....

Settings won't open for me, either; I suspect that part of the app hasn't been coded yet! I agree about the SIP accounts; I tried logging in with an Iptel.org a/c, but it complained about ':' (colons) in the address. Most SIP accounts use these; the one AGProjects use appears to be unusual in using only '_' (underscores).

Still, it's definitely worth keeping an eye on, I feel. One thing I do like about it is that having detected my Logitech c920 HD 'Pro' webcam, it automatically sets itself up to use the built-in microphones by default.....and activates them. There's also a narrow 'level' bar running across the top of the webcam window, which appears to respond to sound input. Very neat.

Most Linux apps want you to set up video and audio separately, don't they?

Mike. :wink: