Simultaneous Android - laptop tether, charge, file transfer

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
rufwoof

Simultaneous Android - laptop tether, charge, file transfer

#1 Post by rufwoof »

Background - not a android familiar user, despite having one (Xperia), I use it in a very limited manner - primarily just as a phone :). Up till now I've just tended to mtp mount via a physical usb cable link for transferring files between desktop/laptop and the phone.

Yesterday however I installed OpenBSD 6.5 to a usb stick and that's booting fine, but the firmware for the Acer laptop I'm using isn't installed (despite having run fw_update and OpenBSD suggesting the Atheros wireless network interface that the Acer has is supported), or isn't being correctly loaded/whatever. So as a interim measure I opted to tether my android (that is connecting via the home wireless - so unlimited bandwidth - not using monthly phone data allowance). Plugged in the usb, installed (pkg_add simple-mtpfs) and connected (mtp-connect;simple-mtpfs /mnt) and data sharing is fine. Turn on the androids tethering and use that (ifconfig shows urndis0 name, so dhcp urndis0 has the laps internet traffic flow via the phones wireless link to the home router/network) and that also works fine. BUT data sharing/file transfer drops - seemingly after switching on tethering.

My question therefore is can you have the phone charge, file transfer and tether all at the same time? I suspect not, but thought I'd ask just in case someone does.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

No, not via usb (unless the android device has two separate ports, which a normal phone doesn't). Normally the phone will tell you this when you enable tethering.
Although I always thought that you could get a special dock, at least for some phones, which could provide power and connectivity at least for peripherals...
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER