TuxAtomicPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
8Geee

TuxAtomicPup

#1 Post by 8Geee »

This is TuxAtomicPup, a Puppy Linux intended for NETBOOKS 2008-2011 using the Intel Atom CPU and the Intel i915 video chipset. Due to the unsupported kernel, only Intel Atom CPU's are exempt from Meltdown/Spectre problems, and thus are the ONLY CPU's recommended.

Slacko5.7 is the base with Firefox65.0.2, apulse, gtk3, and openssl 1.1.1b With thankxxx to tuxxx. I have configured the browser, updated the base Slacko5.7, removed r200, r300, r600, swrast, and nouveau video drivers, and installed bash 4.0.17. glibc-Schemeas pet included and saved in case of breakage. Thanks to Mike Walsh.

Servers and shares have been removed, and the Firefox 65.0.2 has uBlockOrigin-Lite, Seaarchonymous, and YouTube Download Button added. Right after remaster (April 2nd) an important security addon was submitted to Firefox as "CSS-Exfil Protection". This is added to my personal copy for testing.
gHacks recommends it.

gOffice removed (abiword, gnumeric) and FreeOffice-697-enUS added. To remove, go to /opt and delete all files inside, then go to /root, select hidden files, and remove .softmaker. Then remove the desk icons.

ISO size is 211.2Mb about 60Mb less than original, all due to removal of the video drivers not needed. Kernel 3.4.82 is NOT supported AND vunerable to meltdown/spectre. Operating space about 670Mb... compared to 460Mb for AtomicPup-XIX. 2Gb memory required due to large consumption by Firefox 65!

=============================================================

TuxAtomicPup has been uploaded. Based on the alpha release. glibc-schemeas has been added but no 'ff' profile modifier. YouTube sound when streaming does not occur. It is advanced enough for Intel Atom users, but not recommended for others due to Meltdown/Spectre.

I added FreeOffice-697-enUS,and removed shares, servers, goffice, gimp, and evince. ISO size is 211.2Mb, memory footprint will be about 670Mb when installed. Recommended is 1Gb partition size and 2Gb memory stick, with a 256Mb save file (512Mb if modifying this spin).

sha256: b0b1acdd24bf398915765e9c9dd2afae463007d48e8c9c749eca3519819e8627

Regards
8Geee
Last edited by 8Geee on Thu 04 Apr 2019, 17:59, edited 2 times in total.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

8Geee

pdf bug

#2 Post by 8Geee »

Just noticed that pdf files still link to evince. Thought I changed this, but aparently not.

In /root is one pdf file "1up".
Right-Click and select SET RUN ACTION
Make sure the "Only for applications/pdf" is ticked
rename evince to epdfview by editing the word only.
Click the USE COMMAND button. done

Regards
8Geee

Ananda98

TuxAtomicPup

#3 Post by Ananda98 »

Great1 Probably I will use it. I think it will able to run on my old Toshiba Netbook (it only has 1 GB RAM, probably I need Dillo to replace firefox :D)

8Geee

browser

#4 Post by 8Geee »

Sorry for the lengthy delay...

For small browser needs, I recommend the Slackware 14.0 version of Netsurf 3.8.

Among the several things on my plate recently, I tested the wheezy version (not too good, but works) and the linked version which is much better.

I note the need for a Youtube Converter since streaming doesn't work.
This one works with netsurf 3.8
https://www.convertinmp4.com/

Late regards :)
8Geee