Cache in Semonkey & ROX FM

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
kuman11

Cache in Semonkey & ROX FM

#1 Post by kuman11 »

where's the cache for Seamonkey & Rox FM located, there's too many folders listed ...?

And I need to delete all the extra files from installed Apps in CE_Slacko Puppy version 5.7.2 , I have trouble finding the folder (s), my Ram is at a very low level.

Actually, half of my RAM is unused, don't know where it goes after installation.
Last edited by kuman11 on Mon 01 Apr 2019, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

ozsouth

#2 Post by ozsouth »

Seamonkey's cache is in /root/.cache/mozilla. Can delete the seamonkey folder in there. Also can set cache to 0 - click edit-pref-adv-cache then untick 'let Seamonkey manage' & set 'use up to' to 0 & clear cache.
You can save abt 400 mb ram if you add pfix=nocopy to your kernel boot line, but will run a bit slower.

kuman11

#3 Post by kuman11 »

ozsouth,

I'll try that. If I enter pfix=nocopy in a terminal, it'd suffice?

thanks

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Withdrawn.
Last edited by Semme on Mon 01 Apr 2019, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

ozsouth

#5 Post by ozsouth »

That needs to go in the boot menu, (in the conf or cfg file) on the kernel line of the boot device. You have to boot with that option.
If booting from usb, will look something like: linux /boot/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck,nocopy root=/dev/sdb1 ro

kuman11

#6 Post by kuman11 »

ozsouth,

What abt Rox FM, it contains some temp files too?

mikeslr

#7 Post by mikeslr »

davids45

Storing profile & cache

#8 Post by davids45 »

G'day kuman11,

I'm assuming your Pups are Frugals.......

If you want to keep your save-file small, and have a moderately sized hard-drive (or usb or ...?), make a new partition with GParted (reduce your Puppies partition if necessary to get space for this new partition).

This will be your data partition to store and archive your caches, data, photos, videos, mail, temp. files, etc., etc..

You need to mount this partition at boot so it is available for Puppies as one starts (e.g. with a script into /root/Startup).

Copy your cache (/root/.cache), your Seamonkey profile (in /root/.mozilla/) and other potentially large files onto that new partition, delete them on your Pup, and just sym-link these back to your Puppy with Rox.

You could set up a temporary, separate "Testing"-Pup install to practice this and see if it suits you, so you don't muck up your original Pup save-file?

I run virtually all my programs from my data partition as well.

So each Pup's savefile is only a few MB. Memory 'hogs' like wine-with-MS programs, LibreOffice, Gimp, turn into links of a few kB in each Pup's save-file.
I have just one (large) copy of each 'hog' on my data partition (it's about 300GB of my 500GB main drive), not a copy in each Pup's save-file (I run about twenty different Frugal Pups from a common 30GB partition - with space to spare).

David S.

kuman11

#9 Post by kuman11 »

David,

This seems useful, will make some ot it.

thanks!