to beautify the desktop

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
nodo

to beautify the desktop

#1 Post by nodo »

Hi puppy_fans,

I've been quietly using diff Puppies for quite some time. The reason that you don't see me on forums is that, unlike many of you, I am a common linux user/ not a programmer. So when you're discussing some geekie- I only read your thoughts and try to follow.
Let me thank you all (1st of all Berry and developers of slacko, presise and other puppets' ). You're doing a massive load of work. You've already created great distros and cater to a tiny and faithfull audience :)
As a user, I pay attentin to details you geeks don't. Recently I tried a simple task to beautify the desktop, but failed to :( The idea is simple - to visually improve JWM right-click menu (right on desktop) and a panel. I’m a fan of lightweight WMs: jwm, flux, openbox etc What I mean? To picture my idea, pls look at, say, crunchbang openbox concept: no icins/clear desktop, nice right-click menu, nice tint2 panel.

1) So what I did was - went to different files (one by one) and tried to configure them (I read instructions when those are present). But see NO result :(
So (i.e. I’m on precise 5.7. right now) my path is like: ~ .icewm/menu --> usr/bin/fixmenus --> etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc. I want to change the appearance, the naming, maybe the icons but I can NOT see the outcome:(
For example, you right-click - the MENU pops-up, you choose there -> the other menu follows. Now we can make even 3 menus (like the mentioned two, plus the third one - transfer some items from 2nd menu to 3rd one,); we can change the naming in menus; we can delete(!) all words in 1st menu leaving only beautiful icons there – what a nice idea, ah? – to have just a slicky 1st menu with nice icons and no words; and 2nd and 3rd menus modify as we like. That would look really nice. Anyway, I couldn't do anything in those files; I couldn't even find the 2nd pop-up menu commands there – to try and change them. Needless to mention icons in 1st right-click menu – where and how to find them, to begin with?
2)My second task was to make that ugly panel (bottom one) look nicier: make it, say transparent, change the dog-face on a super-key, rearrange stuff or better – make it DISappear to pop-up only when I point my cursor there: quite standard option today. But I can NOT do that: there are strange options inbuilt: only color and style differ.

Bottomline:
guys, could you come up w your suggestions on HOW TO make changes in our beautiful puppies? I mean 2 abovementiond points.
Hope to hear from you soon. Oh yeah... and don't forget to include these changes in your upcoming releases - our little puppies will bark 'big advertised distros' unconsciously : ) Our puppies are mighty; what they lack is a bit of style to bite :)

LazY Puppy

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

To modify the menu in jwm you'll need to edit file /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc which is a template that goes to /root/.jwmrc - as you might have noticed the underline "_" is replaced just by a slash "/", so it's equal to icewm template in /etc/xdg/templates - if there is any.

When modifying manually you'll need also to execute fixmenus in a terminal/console program. Probably you'll need also to execute jwm -restart in a terminal/console program, to see the results/changes.

However, modifying the menu is not very popular here! :lol:
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink: