Booting, installing, newbie
metastasis69

USB Puppy shuts down unexpectedly

#1 Post by metastasis69 »

HERE is the specifics of the computer that I'm using:

https://www.asus.com/ae-en/Desktops/Ess ... fications/

-no hard disk- using RAM mode on USB- Sandisk Cruzer 8GB

-OS-Puppy Slacko 5.7.1

-Everything works but sometimes it shut down automatically and show the KERNEL panic window.

-Slacko 5.6 works just fine on my other Sandisk Cruzer

-Sometimes the machine freezes on shutdown-shows the kernel panic window.
- I think its a bug. I download another copy from another location and symptoms is still the same. PUPPY-LUCID also works fine and no problems whatsoever. I just want the new puppy looks and aethetics of the 5.7.1 so I tried it and I have ended up with this kind of problem.

Thanks in advance or I should wait for the version 5.7.2 if everything still persists.

Thanks everyone!!!

mavrothal

Re: IF YOU NEED HELP

#2 Post by mavrothal »

metastasis69 wrote:-no hard disk- using RAM mode on USB- Sandisk Cruzer 8GB
How is the stick formated (FAT, ext2,3,4, f2fs)?
metastasis69 wrote:-OS-Puppy Slacko 5.7.1
There is no Slacko 5.7.1.
There is Slacko-5.7 and Precise-5.7.1.
Which one are you using?
metastasis69 wrote:-Everything works but sometimes it shut down automatically and show the KERNEL panic window.
How do you know that is the "KERNEL panic window" and not normal shutdown console. ie any specific messages? Doe it say "kernel panic"?
metastasis69 wrote:-Slacko 5.6 works just fine on my other Sandisk Cruzer
Are the 2 sticks identical (size, formal etc)?
metastasis69 wrote:-Sometimes the machine freezes on shutdown-shows the kernel panic window.
Again, what are the messages? (take a picture if too many)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

metastasis69

Re: IF YOU NEED HELP

#3 Post by metastasis69 »

Thank you so much for the speedy answer @ mavrothal
mavrothal wrote:
metastasis69 wrote:-no hard disk- using RAM mode on USB- Sandisk Cruzer 8GB
How is the stick formated (FAT, ext2,3,4, f2fs)?

----USB is formatted on a Windows XP computer with FAT32 format, labelled as Puppy_OS. I did the same with the other Puppy Bootable disk which I put the Slacko v 5.6 OS using UnetBootin for windows.

metastasis69 wrote:-OS-Puppy Slacko 5.7.1
There is no Slacko 5.7.1.
There is Slacko-5.7 and Precise-5.7.1.
Which one are you using?
---This is dumb line hehehe...I'm using the latest from Slacko..March 9, 2014 version 5.7.
metastasis69 wrote:-Everything works but sometimes it shut down automatically and show the KERNEL panic window.
How do you know that is the "KERNEL panic window" and not normal shutdown console. ie any specific messages? Doe it say "kernel panic"?
------I see a black screen with a lot of digits etc...it's like a blue screen of death for windows.. I can't take a photo...do digicam at the moment....

metastasis69 wrote:-Slacko 5.6 works just fine on my other Sandisk Cruzer
Are the 2 sticks identical (size, formal etc)?
----I bought this two identical Sandisk Cruzer 8GB stick to back files on my aging Pentium 4 2.8 with windows xp OS.

metastasis69 wrote:-Sometimes the machine freezes on shutdown-shows the kernel panic window.
------It's like the BSOD screen as I naturally back in the olden age of Windows 95. No screen shoot at the moment,sorry I don't have any digital camera.

== As of the moment, I tried to FULL format the disk, after checking it with some Windows Utilities software... Tried to format the disk and shutdown. Intalled all the basic applications that I need, Skype,VLC, Chromium, Basic Games, GIMP, LibreOFFICE, to start a few. Browsing the internet and posting this reply via a HUAWEI e1552 USB dongle. I hope everything works fine tonight!!!

Thanks for your reply brother. Wish all the luck to this machine. No money to buy a replacement hard disk at the moment. I wish everything will work fine so I can save money to buy a new hard disk in the coming months to dual Boot Windows 7 and Puppy LInux 5.7 on a single machine....

Again, what are the messages? (take a picture if too many)