Dillo-3.0.5 compiled in various Puppies

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
OscarTalks

Dillo-3.0.5 compiled in various Puppies

#1 Post by OscarTalks »

Version updated to 3.0.5
Now built with newer FLTK-1.3.3
New "gleam" theme available
This is switched via a simple edit of /etc/dillo/dillorc or /root/.dillo/dillorc

Package config files are now in /etc/dillo
You may wish to remove other config files including those in /root/.dillo if upgrading.

Built with ssl enabled for https web pages and downloads.
If you get warning windows you can click the "Continue" button or installing the ca-certificates package will get rid of most of them.

Elegant blue hummingbird icon for menu, ROX pinboard launcher and JWM window and tray button.

Download from:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Attachments
dillo3041wheezy.jpg
Dillo-3.0.4.1 with FLTK-1.3.3 in Wheezy
(88.52 KiB) Downloaded 2622 times
dillo304wary.jpg
Dillo 3.0.4 i486 Ultra Light Browser Compiled in Wary 5.5
(74.7 KiB) Downloaded 3480 times
Last edited by OscarTalks on Sun 23 Aug 2015, 18:39, edited 4 times in total.
Oscar in England

session

#2 Post by session »

Thanks for this; the latest Dillo compiled in Wary is something like an essential .pet

...it gets more usable with every version.
Attachments
capture11259.jpg
Image search in Dillo
(96.73 KiB) Downloaded 3269 times
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

greengeek

#3 Post by greengeek »

I seem to get a lot of certificate errors when I use this to access google. Is that likely to be something I am doing wrong or are others seeing the same thing?

EDIT - I am using the wheezy pet in Slacko 5.6
Attachments
certificate_errors.jpg
(29.57 KiB) Downloaded 2454 times

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

I seem to get a lot of certificate errors when I use this to access google. Is that likely to be something I am doing wrong or are others seeing the same thing?
yes thats normal.

I built it a while ago to not display those warnings which are because https handling is incomplete ... so seemed a little mute.

There is a pet but it was being held until a website update and its not on the server at the moment...I have an sfs and tar.gz of the build if you are desperate.

mike

OscarTalks

#5 Post by OscarTalks »

There should be a Slacko 14.0 version of Dillo but I think the versions will often work in other Pups without problems.

As for certificate warnings, I am not seeing those. Try installing the ca-certificates package from Slackware
http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/ ... ck14.0.txz
and then run

Code: Select all

update-ca-certificates
in terminal and see if that cures it.
Oscar in England

greengeek

#6 Post by greengeek »

OscarTalks wrote:There should be a Slacko 14.0 version of Dillo .... Try installing the ca-certificates package from Slackware
Ahh yes - I must have missed the Slacko version - just tried it now and it works but still had the cert errors, so tried the ca link also and that has cured my problem.
cheers!

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

Hmm tried the standard build and seemed to have run the certificates install and update ok but still get warnings.... are those certificates slackware specific?
If ssl was sorted would I say for example be able to login to dropbox and other https logins?

mike

OscarTalks

#8 Post by OscarTalks »

What do you mean by the standard build? I don't think the certificates are Slackware specific as such although I have seen other ca-certificates packages in the Debian and Ubuntu repos. Running update-ca-certificates creates a load of symlinks in /etc/ssl/certs but I think this certs directory can be in another location depending on how openssl was compiled so it may be that things don't work right in some other Pups.
Oscar in England

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

The standard unaltered build with ssl enabled.
I also made a build without the warnings as it was assumed ssl support was incomplete..ie you cannot log into sites etc but perhaps this is not the case.

Yes it may be the ssl library behaviour I need to examine...the certificates did install as you described but perhaps ssl is not looking in the right place ......

I actually built it to work on puppy 4.12 and other older pups... well older systems want lighter browsers sort of logic... but would be nice if we could include a set of certificates to help with ssl.
The recent changes/update/security business with ssl may also be a factor....one to chew on and test in various setups.

mike

watchdog

#10 Post by watchdog »

Dillo has experimental SSL integration that is by standard turned off.[23] There is no certificate caching and NO AUTHENTICATION performed.
Q: How do I enable the https (SSL) support plugin for dillo?
First of all, beware that this is a prototype in alpha state. It will only provide for very basic web page retrievals, POST and GET. There is no certificate caching and NO AUTHENTICATION performed.

It's disabled by default.

If you want to enable it (e.g. to read forums in https), then use

./configure --enable-ssl

Then recompile and reinstall.

If you want to help us to improve the plugin, please let us know!
SSL support is experimental and in alpha state.

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

SSL support is experimental and in alpha state.
yes thats what we thought... it seemed the errors were because handling was incomplete and it also meant no logins and such. Hence the 'no warnings' build. So would I be right in thinking that having the certificates only gets rid of the warnings rather than provide any functionality... that's all I am asking really.
If not then no warnings will do the job for now until ssl is more complete.

mike

greengeek

#12 Post by greengeek »

mikeb wrote:it seemed the errors were because handling was incomplete and it also meant no logins and such.
I can't log in to my webmail (Fastmail) and the error message is "Your session has expired due to inactivity. Please log in to continue" which doesn't sound like anything to do with the certificate issue. Or is it? Maybe not handling cookies or something else correctly?

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

Yes we should read the manual... I am posting this from dillo... unsure if https site would allow login though..eg paypal...but I will test out of curiosity

mike
Last edited by mikeb on Wed 15 Apr 2015, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#14 Post by greengeek »

mikeb wrote:enable cookies by altering the profile cookiesrc file to
DEFAULT ACCEPT
Ha! Excellent. Works for me too.
cheers

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

LOL I edited instead of making a fresh post ...Dilloitus perhaps :D

SO the https challenge next
mike

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Sorry if this appears to be thread hogging but might be useful for others trying out dillo (I have never used it in the past...)

Ok I can log into my webmail which is https which makes me question what all these certificates are about anyway.... I get the warnings but get in regardless...seems javascript is more of a problem. I don't have the certificates added by the way.

mike

OscarTalks

#17 Post by OscarTalks »

I haven't tried any logins but for example if you want to download a seamonkey tarball from seamonkey-project.org which is https:-
If Dillo is compiled with default config you won't be able to download it at all I don't think.
If Dillo is compiled with --enable-ssl but you don't install the certificates you will get the warning. You can click the "Continue" button (to ignore the warning I presume) and then go on to download the file.
If Dillo is compiled with --enable-ssl and you install the certificates you can click through all the download process without any warnings. As to whether any kind of proper verification is taking place I couldn't say.
Does FLTK 1.3.3 compile OK in these older Pups or have you not tried that?
Oscar in England

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

Does FLTK 1.3.3 compile OK in these older Pups or have you not tried that?
Yes ...I did it in 4.12 ... glibc 2.6.1 .... from memory it just built with ./configure make so I assume it worked with whatever there was.
Dillo itself just includes the static result and the rest of it is pretty generic stuff.

Ok so concensus is having the certificates avoids all the warnings... but lack of full ssl support does not prevent logging in and access to sites though some may fail regardless perhaps for other reasons like javascript or the lack of it.

As for the likes of ebay...well they are a bit of a lost cause though forcing the mobile version might work...

mike

8Geee

#19 Post by 8Geee »

Relevant ? here

By ssl does this mean ssl 3.0, or is this a 'generic term' that would include TLS 1.0, 1.1, 1.2?
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

rerwin

Dillo version for lucid pup 5.2.8.7?

#20 Post by rerwin »

OscarTalks,
Thank you for providing this version of dillo for everyone.

I am attempting to respond to a request to add ssl-enabled dillo to lupu 5.2.8.7 and discovered your effort. I have installed and am posting this from the wary version of 3.0.4.1, which appears to work.

But for inclusion in 5.2.8.7, should I have a pet built specifically with lucid pup, or is the wary version sufficient?

To provide feedback on my download and installation, here is my xerrs log of those activities.

chown: invalid option -- 'l'
BusyBox v1.16.2 (2010-06-19 18:02:46 GMT-8) multi-call binary.

Usage: chown [-RhLHPcvf]... OWNER[<.|:>[GROUP]] FILE...

Change the owner and/or group of each FILE to OWNER and/or GROUP

Options:
	-R	Recurse
	-h	Affect symlinks instead of symlink targets
	-L	Traverse all symlinks to directories
	-H	Traverse symlinks on command line only
	-P	Don't traverse symlinks (default)
	-c	List changed files
	-v	List all files
	-f	Hide errors

chown: invalid option -- 'l'

[snip - 6 repetitons of the above]

/usr/sbin/petget: line 350: kill: (25688) - No such process
All that is from a single pet installation!

I then downloaded the certificates pet and noticed this in the log:

[dpip]: [Dpip_dsh_write] Broken pipe
win c0b30c: icon is too small or broken (size=0)
When I downloaded it a second time, I saw only the last line (win...), so am not sure what triggered the "dpip" lines.

I am doing all of this in lupusuper2 of 20150520.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.