Foundation Meeting May 6, 2006 22:00 UTC

News, happenings
raffy

Foundation Meeting May 6, 2006 22:00 UTC

#1 Post by raffy »

It's the schedule for regular meeting this Saturday 22:00 UTC May 6 (this is not yet adjusted for daylight saving). J_Rey will please confirm which IRC channel to use.

Proposed Agenda:

1. User Feedback - items from various Puppy Web resources that need attention (Lobster will please lead the discussion here)

- Suggestions about Web presence

2. Development

- Puppy 2.0 (Barry will please lead the discussion)
- Puppy 1.09 (Nathan will please lead the discussion)

3. Promotion/Internationalization

- PupTop (Puppy for the One Laptop machine - building PupTop and demonstrating it in comparable machines)
- Getting Puppy into other hardware
- Translation guide

4. Organization/Management - organizing resources for the concerns already discussed

- File repositories
- CD Distribution and support network
- Admin issues - registration, funds, etc.

Your comments are welcome.

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

I won't be making it to that one becaus I have a practice A.P. Micro Economics test that afternoon/evening. I'll be late at best, depending on whether I decide to bike the fifteen miles or drive. I'm more at home in the forums anyway.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

BlackAdder

#3 Post by BlackAdder »

Since comments are welcome :)

An issue that is looming is the transition of dot pups from 1.0x to Puppy2. Many existing dot pups will be unuseable or at least need re-compilation. Some of the contributors may have dropped out, and the community may not have access to the material on which a dot pup is based.

It also bears on the repository question, because parallel repositories will be needed, with clear information about which releases a particular dot pup suits.

Sorry, I will be stuck in a seminar at the meeting time, so have to contribute my two cents worth now.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

Many existing dot pups will be unuseable
some will be, yes ... everytime Puppy upgrades, there is at least a possibility that some of my packages will be broken, and sometimes a few packages actually are broken

i know my Icewm package needs a slight tweak for Puppy 2 ... but the package needs to be updated to the latest version of Icewm anyway

Rox 2.4.1 might need tweaking, or not ... it's often when icons and backgrounds change that my packages need tweaking to deal with the change

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Is anyone including Nathan willing to be project leader for Puppy 1.10?
Assuming we are doing one?

Rarsa? Mu? Barry? Raffy? :)
How about two project leaders - to share the load?

Date of release (proposed 1st July)
good)
  • 1 click installs - .pet comes of age
    1 click Puppy Window Managers
    1 click program upgrades
    Puppy 2 improvements added (operation backport)
    Firefox suggested upgrades
    Recap (suggested programs and enhancements integrated)
    Sticky notes
    Puppy money
    Mtpaint 3.00
    Megapup / codecs / usability add on
    Help made easier
Any thoughts on Puppy Community 2.01?
I am already noticing that Barry is sharing and relying (and luckily having avialable) more help with Puppy2 - how can we facilitate this - which is one of the main aims of The Foundation. Maybe some of that can be added to the meet . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Nathan F

#6 Post by Nathan F »

I'll do my best to make the meeting. No official Puppy-109 meeting this week as we should all be attending the foundation meeting.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

raffy

My Comments

#7 Post by raffy »

By now, the proponents of low-cost computing projects such as the OLPC, Via's PC-1, and AMD's 50x15 have already been told about Puppy Linux and its suitability for the individual projects. Yellowsheepriver's Municator has also communicated to Lobster its development of x86 hardware, as its project is currently based on the RISC/MIPS.

Computing with x86 processors at or below the speed of Via's C3 (800 Mhz) is Puppy Linux's niche. AMD's Personal Internet Communicator and OLPC's laptop are both using the AMD Geode processor whose effective top speed is 400 Mhz (although tagged at 533 Mhz maximum). (Computing based on RISC such as Yellowsheepriver's Municator is one area that needs more consideration by Barry and the enthusiasts.)

The next moves by these proponents will be about doing business with the Puppy Linux enthusiasts. Will they see what they like to see? There are a number of important considerations:

1. Entity - Right now, the enthusiasts are in a pre-incorporation group. Organizing as a Foundation has been regarded as almost impossible in the past, and this view perhaps persists to this day. Organizing as a nonprofit is the next choice, but if one were to examine the OLPC founding (where for-profit corporate members gave millions up front) and AMD's business model (a very transparent way of doing business), a nonprofit would not be much different from a for-profit structure. An encouraging sign here is Barry's apparent openness to a business structure, as he has maintained both the puppylinux.com and puppyOS.com sites. Barry can always form a business entity and appoint his partners, and things will work almost the same old way - he only needs to sustain the view that the enthusiasts are his advisory council and co-developers.

2. Operation - Has the Puppy Linux group worked in an organized way? Since the founding of a pre-Foundation last September, 2005, the group has done things cooperatively: (1) putting up the puppylinux.org and other additional Web resources (dotpups.de, puptrix.org, puppyfiles.us, and puppylinux.net, among others); (2) conducting planned activities such as campaigns and meetings; and (3) working on the first community version of Puppy Linux, version 1.09. The momentum is there already, and the next move could be the listing/activation of official Puppy Linux support centers in different countries, with the enthusiasts as pioneers. Of course, in planning this, we should hear first from the people who have been patiently operating the PuppyLinux IRC channel or answering questions in the Forum.

3. Funding - Puppy Linux is a labor of love, and it is up to the users (or hardware companies) to give something to the group as a token of support. However, direct support, such as purchasing a CD, requesting training, or getting help by phone could be priced as services by official Puppy Linux support centers. What's more, maintaining a common fund can be done even if there is no official organization, as it would require only two separate services, fund depository and transaction recording, which can in turn be assigned by Barry to two separate individuals. For example, I can open a Puppy GNU/Linux fund in a Singapore bank, and all donations are made and recorded in a site that is beyond my access, say Mu's site, or vice versa (Mu and me are just examples). Maintaining a common fund is a hot potato that needs to be handled to mobilize support and/or create further opportunities for Puppy. For example, if no hardware maker makes a move to adopt Puppy, shouldn't the enthusiasts consider venture capital to launch a Puppy computing machine? Have you heard of System-on-Chip yet?

4. Human Resources - Who can offer full-time support if Puppy gets engaged in one or all of those projects? This needs to be answered now. Many enthusiasts are helping Puppy out of their spare time, and have their own full-time work. Those who are available should be ready to submit the traditional resume. Now, those who can't join here are not necessarily out. Puppy is in a very unconventional industry where there are many possible revenue sources for skillful people, such as Web advertising, online training, or online/on-call help.

(Hmm, I seem to be asking questions more than offering answers :))

See you at the meeting.

babbs

#8 Post by babbs »

I'm back

I am planning on being at this meeting. Hopefully, I won't be too late getting home and logged on.

J_Rey

#9 Post by J_Rey »

OK, I'll be there as well. The meeting will be held on the Freenode IRC network in the #puppylinux-foundation chatroom. See the instructions for help joining us.

Raffy, those are some excellent observations that are worth good consideration. The Puppy project has a lot of potential in a lot of ways and I'd like to see it excel but I am limited in what/when I can help, as are most of us, but working together we will see improvement. Long live Puppy!

raffy

Added the transcript to the meeting page

#10 Post by raffy »

Seth was going to post the transcript, but he got disconnected somehow. Meantime, am adding it to the May 6 meeting page. Thanks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

I was busy being brain scanned
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=49020#49020

Reading the transcript for the meeting the big thing seems organisation. At the moment (and successfully) we are set up on the "Slackware" model. We are 'trading' as a limited liability company with Barry as CEO.

The fact that he puts in more full time work and resources than most of us believe possible means we are a not 4 profit organisation.

Now "The Foundation" means basis or support - it is where we build from - We can be called "A trussed" - oops "Trust" or something else.

Names? "Puppy Organisation" sounds fine to me . . .
At the moment funds are going to Barry - to keep him accustomed to a life of abject poverty and MU also has a Paypal donation on his site. I was able to send him a few fish bones from my Swiss Bank Account . . .

I trust both MU and Barry so would recommend those links for funds and support from you Puppys. It is a REAL way you can show appreciation - go for it. You know you want to.

http://dotpups.de/
http://www.puppylinux.com/download/downpage.htm

What we are trying to do (it seems) is create an organisation before we need it? Perhaps we need to 'increase the need'?

Your thoughts are welcome :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

J_Rey

#12 Post by J_Rey »

There is another topic spawned from this meeting about registering the Foundation.