How to go to desktop? In WARY PUPPY?

Booting, installing, newbie
RIZARDOUZ7

How to go to desktop? In WARY PUPPY?

#1 Post by RIZARDOUZ7 »

It's a shame that I was very noob, that I keep on thinking that I wasn't able to login as root when all this time I am automatically login as root.

Now, as a newbie, what I want to know is how do I go to the desktop then? What command should I type to go to the desktop and start using wary puppy.

Thanks.
Ephesians 2:8-9
King James Version (KJV)

8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9Not of works, lest any man should boast.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/jQQKa.gif[/img]

RIZARDOUZ7

#2 Post by RIZARDOUZ7 »

bump

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

Puppy doesn't have a desktop folder...it's more like a link. What is it you want to do?

If you want to add a program to the desktop, just drag the relevant executable onto the desktop. You can then right-click & select a suitable icon.

Makoto

#4 Post by Makoto »

Try typing 'xwin' (without the quotes, of course).

But, doesn't Wary normally boot to the desktop?

Also, you may want to avoid bumping your posts after only an hour. Maybe a day or two (or more), but not within a few hours.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#5 Post by Béèm »

RIZARDOUZ7,
You should give all the relevant basic info about your system.
Hardware, software, partitioning, how you run puppy, how you installed if you did so.

Don't expect people here to read in you mind.
We don't see what you see.
You have to describe that very accurately.
Last edited by Béèm on Sun 31 Jul 2011, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

Waitaminit. Are you passing the instruction "nox" at boot...? That boots you to a prompt without graphics... and you can't do very much there. I'd get rid of "nox", which will also fix the login problem and probably several other things.

James C

#7 Post by James C »

This is a totally confusing thread but.......I've installed Wary on a number of old computers and it should just boot to the desktop.Just did a full install of Wary 512 last night.More details needed before you can get a good answer.

RIZARDOUZ7

#8 Post by RIZARDOUZ7 »

Thanks Everyone!

Problem solved! Since I am really a newbie, I didn't know that I needed to type "xwin" lol.
King James Version (KJV)

8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

You still have something wrong if Wary does not boot directly to the desktop.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

starhawk

#10 Post by starhawk »

Saw something somewhere that you have a Radeon card...? Boot normally, and when xorgwizard runs, select the "choose" button. There should be a driver for ATi (e.g. Radeon) cards in there somewhere. I've never actually had to do that, so I can't tell you which driver, but it should be there.

Good luck!

RIZARDOUZ7

#11 Post by RIZARDOUZ7 »

Well does wary really boot to the desktop instantly? Anyway, I have no problems on entering xwin everytime I start it.

Also regarding my radeon card, yes I have tried that already. I choose the radeon driver from the list but it does not solve the issue with xorg. Probably it has something to do with the kernel of this puppy version just like what nooby told me on my other thread.

Now, I need to search for a similar thread regarding my radeon card, however lucid puppy works fine with my radeon card, but T_T my sound card does not. It's so funny not being able to use fully either of the two.

:((( Lucid: no sounds, Wary: xorg not working only xvesa but has sounds lol.
King James Version (KJV)