EeePC on LARGE display

Using applications, configuring, problems
prehistoric

EeePC on LARGE display

#1 Post by prehistoric »

This thread is just a place to collect comments about a topic which didn't seem to exactly fit anywhere else. I've been experimenting with Puppy on an EeePC. Until some basic issues are sorted out, I've been holding off on trying wilder things under Puppy 4.3. Here's a wilder thing I have in mind.

Yesterday, I visited a friend who has so much more money than sense he not only owns a 50" Plasma TV, he even watches it regularly. To escape from Fox news, I took along my EeePC 900A, VGA cable and a wireless keyboard with built-in touchpad. This one works under the Xandros Linux used on the 900A without any special drivers. (I should have also remembered an audio cable to connect the netbook to the speakers.)

After a little fooling around behind the TV, and a change of the desktop mode to enable an external display, we were able to sit back across the room and surf the web, edit documents, watch videos, etc. The 1024x600 output is surprisingly usable on a full-HD display.

I'm sure I've sold him on netbooks. Next, I need to show a roomful of people the wonders of Puppy running on a cheap machine held in one hand. I like the idea of handing the wireless keyboard around so they can answer their own questions by trying it out.

Anyone have experience with this?

firak

BUISNESS CONFERENCES

#2 Post by firak »

Was an amnzing enexperiece using an eeepc for explani myself, show pictures en document, in a large coference room , conntectig the eepc701 to a larege screen.
I did not test if the actual versio of puppy support the external monitor plug of the pc. I manage to do thath few times using puppy 301.

Now my approach is thath. Nobady neeedes powerfool compiuter if the OS is fast. Puppy seems to be the faster OS for any use. So You can be surprised that with a samall eepc & an fast linux OS you can do better than Iphone.

jemimah

#3 Post by jemimah »

You ought to be able to do better than 1024x600 on an external monitor. Is that the max resolution of the TV? I regularly use mine at 1680x1050 (though not with Xandros which refuses to use any other resolution). You probably have to reboot with VGA connected to get X to use a higher resolution.

I'll be posting an Eee version of Puppy with my custom kernel next week. It will make your 900A screaming fast. Faster bootup and better performance with Pentuim M optimizations and much bloat removed.

mwestlund

#4 Post by mwestlund »

jemimah tat sounds awesome! I use Puppy on my 701 (I'm using it now) and my 900A for the road. Got the 900A for $150. I'd love to have a Puppy designed just for the Eee. I use my 900A in public presentations. It is sometimes difficult to get the it to work with big data projectors. Where will you post your Pup? -Mark

prehistoric

Responses about LARGE display

#5 Post by prehistoric »

Thanks for the responses.
jemimah wrote:You ought to be able to do better than 1024x600 on an external monitor. Is that the max resolution of the TV? I regularly use mine at 1680x1050 (though not with Xandros which refuses to use any other resolution). You probably have to reboot with VGA connected to get X to use a higher resolution.
The plasma display has full 1080p HD. I'm not able to experiment with it, because I don't own it.
BTW: I was surprised at how usable 1024x600 was from across the room. Apparently, when a group of people view a display from a distance, some of them can't see any better.

I'll try my smaller LCD displays first. I have one with 1080p HD. My first attempts to get external output under Puppy failed, for unknown reasons. I've avoided trying projectors because many have their own peculiarities, (which a friend who works in video keeps telling me about.) I can't devote much time to this at the moment, because of other commitments.
I'll be posting an Eee version of Puppy with my custom kernel next week. It will make your 900A screaming fast. Faster bootup and better performance with Pentuim M optimizations and much bloat removed.
I'll look forward to this with great interest. So far, I'm quite happy with 4.3.1, if I can just get everything working.

Once we have this working, ASUS ought to sit up and take notice. Their Linux offering is nowhere near this snappy. Customers accept this only because the alternative is Windoze. (Conspiracy theorists take note: is this a plot to discredit Linux?)

I have been encouraged by the response people have had to my limited 4.3.1 version. Seeing it on a 50" HD display will be an eye-opening experience.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: EeePC on LARGE display

#6 Post by Lobster »

prehistoric wrote: I visited a friend who has so much more money than sense
I have done without both for years :wink:

Any pics for your next visit?

Might be useful
http://tmxxine.com/tv/
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

firak

#7 Post by firak »

With no problem I use to dispaly on 22' dispay eeepc on puppy.
the trik that works for me was to reboot puppy when the video cable was aready connected, and the large dispay on.
this is for me wt eeepc 701 - on puppy 4,1 + drivers for eee installed

firak

#8 Post by firak »

With no problem I use to dispaly on 22' dispay eeepc on puppy.
the trik that works for me was to reboot puppy when the video cable was aready connected, and the large dispay on.
this is for me wt eeepc 701 - on puppy 4,1 + drivers for eee installed