How many Computers do you have and what OS is on each one ?

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy

Choose the number of computers you own/have

None
2%
One
8%
Two or three
34%
more than three
55%

Total votes: 83

mshiva

#1 Post by mshiva »

I found such a thread on ubuntuforums, thought it would be very interesting here.

I'll answer later like my ubuntuforums counterpart (because i'm planing to get one more soon).

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

3 - One laptop, one new-ish desktop, one old desktop. All have Puppy Linux. The newish desktop also has XP, but that is rarely used. The old desktop still has Win98, but only because I haven't gotten around to deleting it yet (and may keep it around for compatibility tests, networking experiments, etc.) The laptop has never had anything but Linux since I've owned it.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

koolie

#3 Post by koolie »

@mshiva

What-the-hell is this website?
What is all this nonsense that you are posting?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Koolie, it looks to me like mshiva is just learning how to set up a website. I could be wrong.

mshiva

#5 Post by mshiva »

@Flash
yes i'm learning, it's my first ever site, and first ever design.

@koolie
but that site has nothing to do with this thread, its just my signature
(i've removed it anyway)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

Main machine Puppy running from CD - data saved on HD

Eeepc running Xandros in full desktop mode
The original easy to use desktop is great
turning it into a full desktop - better still
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/11/06 ... -in-linux/
more about eeepc from Lobster
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka=EeePc

G4 Mac - OS X 10.4
hardly used, still getting familiar with it

Fujitsu laptop running Puppy + YAP for shrine
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka=YapInfo

One crippled machine needs power supply ('Time' brand)
that runs Puppy
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

bugman

#7 Post by bugman »

mine - p3 running puppy 1.07

wife's - p2 running win 98 [she's one tough cookie]

"stereo" - p2 loaded with 3 hd's of mp3s & running puppy 1.07

EDIT - i think i'm going to fine-tune the "stereo" computer and give it to a neighbor who has none but is slightly afraid of them, lessons included

[where is the aspirin?]
Last edited by bugman on Wed 14 May 2008, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

prehistoric

mongrel litter

#8 Post by prehistoric »

6 working at the moment, all with different versions of Puppy.

350 MHz P II, used for testing, has 4 different puplets right now.
400 MHz P II, Gateway brand, as a reliable machine for Internet access.
500 MHz Celeron, Compaq iPaq (desktop), likely to replace the above.
1.0 GHz P III with 512 MB RAM for development.
1.0 Ghz Athlon with 1 GB RAM for development.
1.4 GHz Pentium M, Dell D600 laptop with 512 MB RAM for mobility.

Plus several machines out on extended loans.

Don't ask about currently nonfunctional machines. :roll:

jonyo

Re: How many Computers do you have and what OS is on each on

#9 Post by jonyo »

mshiva wrote:How many Computers do you have.
lots
and what OS is on each
lots

Eyes-Only

#10 Post by Eyes-Only »

LOL Jonyo! Good one!

@Shiva: Went and looked around your website. I must say that I could sit here at my computer all day and just watch your "pets"! What a wonderful use of Flash---so peaceful, calming, and serene!

You may like the "icedock" used in "Muppy 008.3" made by forum member MU (Mark) as in his clock he likewise has little "pet fish" swimming around which my grandchildren and I love to watch. :) I also use "Kaquarium" whenever I'm in my KDE desktop and then a Gnome widget which has a flish in a tank on the taskbar. None of course can equal the quality of your Flash fish! :)

As for computers: 3 here. One on loan, two here at home, and I'll be ordering a 4th in a few weeks to replace this one as it's experiencing problems with over-heating (and for no apparent reason at that) at which time I'll get this one fixed when I have sufficient funds.

All three have multiple installs of Puppy in various versions and remakes. This current computer I'm on has three different Puppy installs (4.0, a remake of 4.0 with Gnome, and Muppy 008.3, some frugal, some hard drive installs), plus Linux Mint 4.0, SliTaz 1.0... and I forget at the moment what my 6th install is. Something I threw together I think.

On the computer coming, while I'll definitely have 4.0 on it I'd also like to try OpenSolaris 2008.05 along with PC-BSD 7.0. Both look exciting!

Welcome to the Puppy Kennels Shiva! Woof! Woof!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Bruce B

#11 Post by Bruce B »

I don't have any idea of how many computers I have. Neither do I know how many I could make from parts. Of the ones I have, for the most part, I don't know what's right or wrong with them. Some of them are probably pretty good.

I voted more than three.

Everitt

#12 Post by Everitt »

I've only got direct acces to one at the moment, a homebrew Athlon 64 3500+.
It duel boots Kubuntu and Vista (Yes, Vista: I like a challenge! Linux is just too easy to maintain! :P) It also has an installation of Gentoo, which, when I find the time, I'll install KDE on, tweak to within an intch of it's life, and use to replace the bloated Kubuntu. Generally there would be a frugal install or two of puppy, but I tided up all the old versions, and haven't found time to make room for puppy 4.0 yet.
Normally I'd have my laptop too, a tiny Sony Vaio with a Pentium M 1.1Ghz. Not exactly a beast with the preloaded XP, which I keep for web browesing, watching DVD's, the odd game etc, but it fair flys in it's main role as a notebook. (Totally stripped Ubuntu. No X server. Basically the only app I use is GNU nano)

Back home I've got an old PIII, clocked to about 950Mhz, running Debian server. When I'm at home this is where all my files are stored, and I'm working on turning it into a streaming media server.
I recently got a P4 that is currently without OS, but has a puppy CD in the drive (or maybe I did get around to installing..?) This one sits with my main Desktop and the Debian server under my desk, and is manily used for network testing.

Beyond that I've got a couple of old laptops that I very rarely use, and a couple of PII rigs without cases that I use as thin clients, or at least did back when I was playing with netbooting puppy. They reside on a bit of wood under my bed, awaiting the time when I can find a use for them.

Aitch

#13 Post by Aitch »

still counting......
laptops;
ibm 560 laptop - P2/233Mhz/80Mb was 2G H/D ]broken] intermittent H/D fault in pieces
ibm 570 laptop - P3/450Mhz/128Mb was 6G H/D used the H/D to fix the 560, waiting rebuild
new addition
ibm t21 laptop - P3/1Ghz/256Mb 30G H/D dual booting Win2K & Puppy 2.14 fine [poor battery, though]
desktops
Main machine vanilla P3/667Mhz/256Mb 80G H/D broken after mains supply power failure caused running windoze to checkdisk join all partitions together!! GRR not yet sorted

moved house meantime

'new main machine'
vanilla P3/800Mhz/340Mb 120G H/D dual boot Win 2K/XPlite experiment ext2 partition with broken PClinux install - use Puppy 2.14/214R Live CD
Also has SCSI UW 2x18G, 1x73G, &4/5 9.1G 10000rpm high speed drives on 9 drop cable laying on bench
Also has Firewire to utilise some of my Apple kit inc CDRW 32x with own power supply

Apple G3/450Mhz/180Mb 9G H/D SCSI 1- 50pin MacOS8.3 lots of software
External Firewire CDRW/SCSI Scanner/HP printer on parport

CFmicrodrives in adapters for PCI/H/D/USB vary 3/4/6G

250G H/D in Usb2/Firewire enclosure

3 printers connected to P2 W98lite printserver on hi-speed Network 12way switch broadband 2Mb down/512M up, internet
several other P3/P2 mobos/cases experiments, inc
W95/W98/W98Meupgrade/smoothwall/IPCOP/FreeNas/FreeBSD/BEL [a PCLinux derivative],
several swapped out H/ds with various linuxed messes on [RHl/fedora/debian mainly]
6/7 15" monitors
Loads of other stuff still in boxes since move

& finally an IBM Xseries100 Server running Centos, just purchased, google specs, not yet in use -2.6G P4, I think
Trimm ultrarack 8xSCSI-3 array fully populated, also just purchased
That's my bit for the environment/recycling

I don't need global warming, this lot keeps the whole house warm LOL

Aitch
On observance: Place banana in your ear.
Observe that there are no alligators around.
Conclude: Bananas placed in ears keep alligators away :)

mac84

#14 Post by mac84 »

I have 2 laptops and 2 desktops

my main companion is my Compaq Presario V2410US AMD turion ML-30 1.5GB DDR400 ATI Radeon Xpress 200 480SB - this is running Fatfree 3.01 using all custom sfs files on a 4gb flashdrive (I want the B43 driver for my Broadcom BCM4318)

Second laptop is one I set up for my gf. a Sony Vaio VGN-A290 Intel 1.7GHz Pentium M 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700- this is also running Fatfree 3.01 ( I wish I could get the a/v-out cable to work :( )

third is my Desktop, AMD 3000+ 939 MSI ATI Radeon Xpress 200 480SB 1GB DDR400- this is Running XP pro SP2 and Vista. I have Virtualbox set up with Fatfree 3.01, DSL-N, MicroXP Server 2003, and Windows XPE.

and I have another AMD 3000+ 754 Gigabyte ultra somthing or other with 512MB DDR400 Nvidia FX5500. Only has XP pro.

Aitch

#15 Post by Aitch »

aside
@mac84
(I want the B43 driver for my Broadcom BCM4318)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25066
Jan10th 08

Aitch

mac84

#16 Post by mac84 »

BCM43xxmodule works, but only at 24/Mbs. I was reading in order for me to use the new B43 driver I needed to use a 2.6.24 kernel.

Aitch

#17 Post by Aitch »

@mac84

it's a bit aside, but try moving your aerial position or put a Out house foil reflector around it, as dropping to 24 is often a weak signal not a driver problem

google 'boost your wifi signal'

Aitch

Trobin

#18 Post by Trobin »

AMD Athlon 300+ main OS is Vista
Pentium three main OS is Windows 98
Pentium II 200 MMX main OS Puppy 108
Intel (not sure) main OS Puppy 210 will change to Windows 98

I use Puppy 217 running of live cd.

Marblemike

#19 Post by Marblemike »

1 Laptop : running Puppy, Kubuntu Feisty Fawn and Win XP
1 old Desktop: running Win XP (the family pc)
1 older Desktop covered in lego (I got bored): running Mandriva 2007
1 oldest Desktop: running Dos 7.something
Attachments
Mypcl.JPG
My lego pc.
(26.82 KiB) Downloaded 471 times

nitehawk

#20 Post by nitehawk »

Two right now. both P3 (256mem 500mhz 8g HD) (384mem 933mhz 40g HD) got Puppy 3.01 on the 500mhz,.....running PC-BSD on the 933mhz (just got the motherboard from Ebay for that one). Puppy is still more fun, though. My brother (the retired electronics tech) makes fun of me. Says I have junk. (Just because it's junk,...doesn't mean it's not fun). Does a lot, too.