How to install Flash in Firefox 2,0.0.9 and Puppy 3.01?

Using applications, configuring, problems
knowseek

#1 Post by knowseek »

Can someone point me to a dotpup that installs flash for firefox - or possibly some other pointers. All the forum threads i have found thus far are a little old and have dead links.

Thanks in advance

raffy

decompress and run

#2 Post by raffy »

Firefox is installed easily. decompress to a folder, say in /usr/local/firefox then run by clicking on "firefox".

Set your default browser by editing defaultbrowser in /usr/local/bin.

To make it stable, create symlink in /root/.mozilla (hidden folder) to the plugins directory of firefox. Drag firefox plugins folder to /root/.mozilla and choose link (sorry, can't recall exactly now, am in Internet Cafe).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

knowseek

#3 Post by knowseek »

thanks for the reply -
I just downloaded the adobe flash player from their site and ran the setup and pointed it to my firefox directory - this seems to have worked.

easier than i thought

d4ndy

#4 Post by d4ndy »

And there's a Flash9,pup here.

knowseek

#5 Post by knowseek »

i went to install flash 9 for firefox on my 2nd computer running puppy full hdd installation and it failed with an error that glibc was older than 2.2 and needed to be upgraded. It worked on my other computer that has a puppy full hdd installation because i had installed the compiler environment...
Anyway - I installed the compiler environment on my 2nd computer following the instructions on this website
http://www.puppylinux.com/hard-puppy.htm
and the flash 9 that i downloaded from adobe installed without problems and seems to be working.

Just thought I'd mention.

perixx

#6 Post by perixx »

Hi knowseek.... I thought you might also be interested in configuring your system in a little less 'nosy' way - an older article I wrote some time ago:

Dom Storage Objects - Supercookies / Flash Objects

Dom Storage Objects - what is it?
If you're using Firefox 2.x / Seamonkey 1.0.6x and want to control to prevent 'Supercookies' / Dom Storage Objects to be stored on your computer, enter

Code: Select all

about:config
menu and set

Code: Select all

dom.storage.enabled
to 'false' !

Flash Objects - what is it?
Visit
and set your local/global flashplayer settings to prevent data storage of up to 100 kB per Flash-object to be stored on your HDD.

perixx

Vettephil

#7 Post by Vettephil »

knowseek wrote:i went to install flash 9 for firefox on my 2nd computer running puppy full hdd installation and it failed with an error that glibc was older than 2.2 and needed to be upgraded. It worked on my other computer that has a puppy full hdd installation because i had installed the compiler environment...
I had the same problem, but since I wasn't installing a compiler, I did this instead:
1) Download installer from Adobe
2) Edit the flashplayer-install script as text
3) Remove the IF statement that checks the glibc version
4) Follow the install instructions from Adobe's download page

Everything worked and Flash is installed and working for Firefox and SeaMonkey.

-PHIL
Can You Picture A Better World?
http://www.PhotographersWithoutBorders.org

pricetech

#8 Post by pricetech »

And there's a Flash9,pup here.
Killed my Puppy. Even the purge switch couldn't fix it. Kept saturating memory (1 gig).

Anyway, I formatted the drive to get rid of the old pup_sav and have "reinstalled".

All I was trying to do was find some tips on installing glibc.

Anybody ??

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

pricetech

#9 Post by pricetech »

Just read another post elsewhere. It seems upgrading glibc is the wrong thing to do under all circumstances.

Guess I should have dug deeper before attempting anything.

Apologies also for not being used to the forum format.