SpaceX launches 32,000 Linux real-time computers into space

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
Flash
Official Dog Handler

SpaceX launches 32,000 Linux real-time computers into space

#1 Post by Flash »

SpaceX: We've launched 32,000 Linux computers into space for Starlink internet
Each of SpaceX's monthly launches of 60 internet-beaming Starlink satellites carries 4,000 stripped-back Linux computers, SpaceX software engineers have revealed.

The company plans to launch a public beta of the satellite internet service by the end of the northern hemisphere's summer and has won approval to deploy one million end-user terminals in the US.

Sulkin revealed that the Linux computers run with the PREEMPT_RT patch, which is developed by a Red Hat engineer as part of an initiative to make Linux a real-time operating system.
There was an effort to develop a real-time Puppy a few years ago. What happened with it?
...SpaceX cybersecurity boss Dexter said any students aspiring to work at the company should make Linux a central part of their education.

"Get your CS degree (or something) similar," said Dexter. "Spend time to really make sure you know how things work – engineers who do well at SpaceX are meticulous in their understanding of how their code works, how the network works, how Linux works, how the hardware works, etc. Get real-world experience building things and solving hard problems, either through hobby projects or in internships (at SpaceX)."

...As the Starlink satellite broadband service moves from a test to operational phase in coming months, security is going to become a critical issue for SpaceX. Moran offered some insight into the issues that SpaceX engineers are looking out for, from the satellites to gateways and the 'UFO-on-a-stick' end-user terminals located at households.

"We designed the system to use end-to-end encryption for our users' data, to make breaking into a satellite or gateway less useful to an attacker who wants to intercept communications," wrote Moran.

"Every piece of hardware in our system (satellites, gateways, user terminals) is designed to only run software signed by us, so that even if an attacker breaks in, they won't be able to gain a permanent foothold.

"And then we harden the insides of the system (including services in our data centers) to make it harder for an exploited vulnerability in one area to be leveraged somewhere else. We're continuing to work hard to ensure our overall system is properly hardened, and still have a lot of work ahead of us (we're hiring), but it's something we take very seriously."

O.F.I.N.S.I.S.

#2 Post by O.F.I.N.S.I.S. »

The Studio Puppies from l0wt3ch have been real time Puppies all the time. At least all versions I do know had a real time kernel.
Our Future Is Not Set In Stone
[url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyfyaxCNMduwyXlQFRQKhhQ[/url]
[url]https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367[/url]
[b]My own build of Bionic64[/b]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Studio Puppies! That's right, I forgot. Where are they now?

rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

A few of my Bionic64 Puppy's run a real time kernel 4.19.82-rt30
easy to swap one in a BIonic64 using the change_kernel tool.

http://rockedge.org/kernels/data/kernel ... 64.tar.bz2

enrique

#5 Post by enrique »

Is this RTL full of crap?
The so call expert do not even agree on what it means. And how useful it may be.

It is another expression like "The Clowd". It does not mean the same thing to all. But it sound nice and todays empty people feel fulfill.

I give you a sample:
a) You provide me with this I-PC, the BEST, LATEST, "any way use your attribute" RTL, Real Time Kernel. "I-" Because people accept that anything starting with "I" can be sell at triple price. But that $$$$ PC in fact work at 99.9 % of the capability its resources can do. And I guess one of you come and say my expertise say It still warranty RTL. What ever this means for him.

b) Then I take the cheapest PC but ensure that it has enough resources to never used more than 10% of any of it resources. I know some possible contradiction cheap but fast. Well believe that is life. This PC has no RTL.

And now I can ensure you that my cheap machine is better that you state of the art, Supper RTL I-PC.

And both can be hack and attacked, Both are susceptible to a program failure that hang it. And both can have a hardware trouble making it fail. How that affects RTL.

Final note using a FULL OS to warranty a simple task that requires real time and correctness is wrong. Just use a simple micro-controller with dedicated simple program.

It is like Purchasing the Biggest Piece of Construction Equipment, lets say a huge Crane to kill a fast mosquito.

Yes see the title. "32,000 Linux real-time computers" That had fill your mind and make you happy.

But to me I see "...32,000 Linux real-time computers..." uhhhhm! well this means I need a Huge city to hold 32000 people. And I need an Empire State Building to hold the people and the 32 thousand computers. All that was sent to space!!!! What I see is an inflated statement of what really is happening. This week 64 new satellite went to space that is all.

O.F.I.N.S.I.S.

#6 Post by O.F.I.N.S.I.S. »

Flash wrote:Studio Puppies! That's right, I forgot. Where are they now?
The latest and last one was Studio 13.37 version 3.3. After this he abandoned further developments of Studio Puppies. Don't know exactly why, but when I was active at linuxmusicians.com I entered a shit storm when announcing that he had made version 3.3 available to download for free. Immediately some guys started their flame wars about I0wt3ch only by reading the name Studio 1337 in the title of my topic. So, I quit linuxmusicians.com and don't ever return to that sh....e of linux users.

@enrique

No, the real time kernels are really needed for doing music using GNU/Linux. In my own build of Bionic64, which I named ArtStudio64, I'm using the real time kernel from the latest Studio 1337. Unfortunately Studio1337 is missing some stuff needed for real time optimization. But this can be installed via PPM. I think he had overseen this by getting tired of getting flame wars etc.pp. for his great work.

Without this guy, I probably never would have started to build my own Puppies. I mentioned it before here an then...

One can do some music without real time kernels, but when it comes to have MIDI and Audio you'll need it. Otherwise the longer the song the more the MIDI and Audio get out of sync to the end of the song.

I wrote two pieces of music which are both around 30 minutes. It's just impossible to keep Audio and MIDI in sync on that length without having a real time kernel.

Also: when using many tracks (I'm using sometimes 24 and up tracks in my songs) and/or many plugins, so-called XRUNS will appear, which is a buffer under-run or over-run and will cause drop outs. Since I'm using the real time kernel I got only one (1) XRUN per song. This XRUN appears directly after the song is loaded. As soon as the song plays and the cores will run at full range everything went fine.

In addition to the real time kernel one should set the real time priority for the sound card up to 90. So, nothing could come in the way...
Our Future Is Not Set In Stone
[url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyfyaxCNMduwyXlQFRQKhhQ[/url]
[url]https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367[/url]
[b]My own build of Bionic64[/b]