Thunderbird 68 won't open attachments (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Subito Piano

Thunderbird 68 won't open attachments (Solved)

#1 Post by Subito Piano »

Hi all --

Suffice to say I've lost the better part of the past week on this...

I was using Thunderbird 31 and quite happy until last fall, when one day I was no longer able to connect to my work google calendars, which I manage (read-write) via lightning+provider extensions. How that happened is another story...

After many futile efforts I gave up. However, about a week ago I discovered that the new T-bird 68 easily connected to the google calendars via lightning and the provider extension. Super!

...except that now Thunderbird does not let me open most attachments -- document files, spreadsheets, etc. For instance, trying to open a powerpoint, it wants to open it by default with pupzip. Choosing to open with "other" brings up a limited set of choices:

...note that there is no way to search for the correct program.

In T-bird 31, I could navigate to the desired program -- for example, I could find an file type's correct program in /opt/libreoffice6.1/program or /usr/bin, etc. However, this newer version of T-bird doesn't use mimeTypes. I've searched for a way to do this manually but cannot find up-to-date information for this new version of T-bird. Is anyone familiar with this new version?

Any help appreciated!
Last edited by Subito Piano on Tue 28 Apr 2020, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D
(A/V Linux for live digital synth needs)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

How did you install Thunderbird 68? (And did you uninstall the older version?)

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Subito Piano

#4 Post by Subito Piano »

Semme - thanks, but T-bird has changed since those posts.... goodbye, mimeTypes file in the profile folder.

Flash -- straight download of the tarball from the T-bird site, unzipped it into /opt. FYI, I tried as late a version as 52 and it would not fetch my google calendar. I tried the deb for v. 68 but it wouldn't install. :?
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Subito Piano

#6 Post by Subito Piano »

:shock: Umm....yeah....looks like I'd have to learn a whole lot about coding....

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Did you catch the "Check for an incorrect preference" bit?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Subito Piano

#8 Post by Subito Piano »

NAILED IT!

I changed the file association for an XLSX attachment from the default "pupzip" to the equally absurd "pale moon," then opened my profile folder, sorted by date, and found I had just modified (or created) the file handlers.json. I opened it in a text editor and saw:

Code: Select all

{"defaultHandlersVersion":{},"mimeTypes":{"application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet":{"action":2,"ask":true,"handlers":[{"name":"Pale Moon","path":"/opt/palemoon/palemoon"}],"extensions":["xls"]}},"schemes":{}}
so I changed it to

Code: Select all

{"defaultHandlersVersion":{},"mimeTypes":{"application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet":{"action":2,"ask":true,"handlers":[{"name":"[b]LibreOfficeCalc[/b]","path":"[b]/opt/libreoffice6.0/program/scalc[/b]"}],"extensions":["xls"]}},"schemes":{}}
restarted T-bird -- and it WORKED!

After I get some sleep and go to work tomorrow, I'll edit the rest of the associations.

Blessings -- thanks for your ideas, as always.

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Good for you!

FYI - The latest TB has this as well. "Handler" or "mime" will get you started.