[SOLVED] Dpup Stretch 7.5

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fjd

[SOLVED] Dpup Stretch 7.5

#1 Post by fjd »

Found Grub4Dos and installed it. Powered down and booted into Grub, made my choice and ...TADAAAH! Dpup Stretch installed.

Now it's the not inconsequential tasks of:
1. Loading Foobar2000 (and its Wine jacket).
2 Learning a new OS.

fjd
Last edited by fjd on Sat 21 Mar 2020, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.
2011 ASUS Eee PC, 1011PX, 32-bit, Atom N455, 1667MHz, 2Gb RAM, 240Gb SSD - [color=red] BionicPup 32-bit [/color] frugal + USB stick install

tallboy

#2 Post by tallboy »

Learning a new OS. Wow, I am still learning new Linux tricks every day, after 20 years! :D
A good start is an old site, TLDP.org , The Linux Documentation Project. The Guides, especially Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide, and GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Summary . These old, but thorough guides, will give you an idea about what you can do with a few commands, and a starting point into how Linux is screwed together.
Remember, in Linux, every command in a program is just a text file - which can be edited, and the basic Linux philosophy is that a command should do only one thing, but do it well, and you should be able to use the result as input for the next command.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy.

For the fun of it, in a terminal window, you just press the Tab key twice - tab-tab, and see how many possible names of comands/programs that turn up. In my tahr, it says 2238. Not much, when Debian has more than 60.000 programs to download. You have access to all of them in Stretch7.5. 8)
You may enter a, and then tab-tab to get a list of all commands/programs beginning with a.
Those are interesting lists to browse, and for each of the commands/programmes, once you have the full name entered, you can usually tab to get a list of options, or use command/programname -h, or command/programname --help.
You may be used to running GUI programs only, but I would advice you to get an insight into using the terminal window now and then, soon you'll find that a line with a few commands, does exactly the same as a big GUI program does.

Don't hesitate to ask 'silly' questions, it is the way most of us have learned a little Linux! :lol:
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

fjd

#3 Post by fjd »

Thanks for your insights, Alfred.
2011 ASUS Eee PC, 1011PX, 32-bit, Atom N455, 1667MHz, 2Gb RAM, 240Gb SSD - [color=red] BionicPup 32-bit [/color] frugal + USB stick install

enrique

#4 Post by enrique »

tallboy Thanks that is nice trick

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ fjd:-

WINE's an absolute doddle to set-up. Seriously! And you shouldn't have any issues with Foobar2000.....

Just ask if you get stuck. Installing WINE in Puppy is a wee bit different to how the 'big boys' handle it, though version2013 has gone out of his way to make it as easy as possible; his packages are the defacto Puppy 'standard' for getting WINE up-and-running.

And I think you'll like 'Stretch'.

@ tallboy:- Very handy tip. That's summat I've learnt today!

Mike. :wink;

tallboy

#6 Post by tallboy »

I think both enrique and Mike should follow the links to the TLDP guides, and maybe actually read them? :lol:
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

enrique

#7 Post by enrique »

I been busy. But I will follow your advice as soon as I have time. At least read a few lines each day.