sda1 /puppy_upupbb_19.03.sfs not found

Booting, installing, newbie
mcgyver83

sda1 /puppy_upupbb_19.03.sfs not found

#1 Post by mcgyver83 »

Hi, I burned BionicPup32 iso on a cd disk to install it on an old Tecra A2 from toshiba with pentium M 1.6Ghz.

I boot from cd, type -- forcepae but I have the error above:
"sda1 /puppy_upupbb_19.03.sfs not found"

What happens?

rockedge

#2 Post by rockedge »

did the burn go successfully? is the ISO image correct on the CD?

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi. mcgyver83. Welcome to the kennels.

To quote or paraphrase bigpup, "We only know what you tell us. What you didn't tell us is often a clue to solving your problem."

From your post, and the error message reported, I assume you burned BionicPup32 to a CD, then booted the CD and used the running BionicPup32 to do a Frugal install to your hard-drive, specifically sda1 of that drive. Later, with the CD removed from the CD-Rom, you attempted to boot BionicPup32 from the hard-drive and received the error message. Please correct any of the above if any of these assumptions are wrong.

Exactly how did you install BionicPup32 to the hard-drive? What application did you use? What, if anything else, is on the hard-drive?

I note the Toshiba Tecra A3 shipped with as little as 512 Mbs of RAM. https://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-t ... dd-series/. IIRC, the minimum recommended RAM for BionicPup32 is 1 Gb. If you only have 512 Mbs of RAM that may not be sufficient to copy BionicPup32's system files into RAM which may generate the error.

Running BionicPup32 may be possible as a FULL install (not recommended) or by adding a swap file or partition (helpful, but not optimal).

But even if having only 512 Mbs of RAM is not the cause of the error, before you get 'deep into the weeds' you might want to consider using one of the Puppies more suitable for a low-RAM computer. Two candidates often recommended for Low-RAM computers are Precise-Lite, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 58#1024458 and dpup-stretch, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 590#974590. There are many others.

mcgyver83

#4 Post by mcgyver83 »

Sorry, you are right.
I burned it on a cd, try to run it adding -- forcepae from bootloader and that's all.
No cd removed.

My Tecra A2 has 768 MByte of ram, still not enough for BionicPup32.

Cd burning was good, no error at that time.

I'm going to follow you suggestion moving to something lighter.

Your suggestion @mikesir are suitable for non pae machine?

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

If you can not boot with puppy live CD.
Get message unable to find SFS file.

Boot with Puppy live CD
At boot screen select F2 key
Try using one of these boot options

1. puppy acpi=off

2. puppy acpi=on

3. puppy ide=nodma

4. puppy ide=nodma acpi=off
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mcgyver83

#6 Post by mcgyver83 »

Thanks but probably as said by @mikeslr 768MByte of ram are not enough for BionicPup32 :(

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

That should be enough ram to get it to boot to a working desktop.

It will just limit how many programs at one time or different stuff you can do all at the same time.

Also could be this:

Usually the cause of this error when booting from a Puppy live CD could be:
Bad download of the Puppy iso file.
Bad burn of the iso image to the CD (Burned at too high a speed)
The burning program did not burn properly the files to the CD.
If burned using a Windows program. Make sure the file names are in lower case lettering.

Dirt or contamination on the read lens of the CD drive.
Bad CD disk.

Not knowing what exact burning program you used.
The names of files on the CD could be wrong.
Warning to MS Windows users
In the Puppy Linux forum, there are a few reports of the files on the Puppy live-CD or ISO-file being incorrectly named.

Example:
Puppy version 4.3
Especially "PUP_430.SFS" whereas the correct name is "pup-430.sfs".

What needs to be understood is that this is not a new "bug", all prior puppies have it.

The reason that you are seeing the wrong filenames is that Windows requires the ISO file (the CD image) to be created with Joliet Extensions. This is an extension to the original iso9660 filesystem. The Puppy ISO does not have Joliet Extensions as it causes problems with the multisession mode (saving sessions back to the CD/DVD).

The Puppy ISO has Rock Ridge Extensions, which is equivalent to Joliet Extensions and is the most common extension used in Linux.

If you use Windows Explorer, the Windows file manager, to look at the contents of the CD, you will see the wrong filenames, as Windows does not understand the Rock Ridge Extensions. If you use Isobuster or 7-Zip (Windows aplications) to look at the ISO, they do understand Rock Ridge and will read the correct filenames.

However, a warning about Isobuster: if you already have it installed, older versions may not be Rock Ridge aware, so upgrade to the latest.

The problem does not occur if you use a running Puppy to extract the files from the ISO or live-CD. With Puppy, all you have to do is click on an ISO file and it will be opened.

If you absolutely have to use Windows Explorer to obtain the files from the live-CD, read on. This is how Windows sees the files:

BOOT.CAT BOOT.MSG HELP.MSG INITRD.GZ ISOLINUX.BIN ISOLINUX.CFG
LOGO.16 PUP_430.SFS VMLINUZ ZP430305.SFS

For frugal install, copy the required files to the destination then rename them to (note only some builds of Puppy have the 'z*' file):

initrd.gz pup-430.sfs vmlinuz zp430305.sfs

...most important, rename PUP_430.SFS to pup-430.sfs!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jafadmin

#8 Post by jafadmin »

Please note that you are supposedly booting from a CD-ROM but it is looking for the puppy sfs file on 'sda1'. It should be looking for it's files on 'sr0' at this point.

Did you burn the ISO to CD using isoburner, or just copy the iso onto the CD?

mcgyver83

#9 Post by mcgyver83 »

I'm trying to restore and old pc to try to convert old VHS to dvd with a usb ARKMICRO device.

I saw that vlc should work fine but right now I have xubuntu 12.04 on this laptop and I'm not able to install vlc.
So I decided to upgrade but my cpu has no pae support and automatic upgrade failed.
So I downloaded BionicPup32 iso, burned it using cdrecorder command line burner.
I'll post the file list inside the cd to verify if all is fine.
Now using plop I'm trying to boot from usb and install various light linux distro but I got kernel panic error with antiX and Sparkylinux.
Last edited by mcgyver83 on Sat 29 Feb 2020, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

mcgyver83

#10 Post by mcgyver83 »

jafadmin wrote:Please note that you are supposedly booting from a CD-ROM but it is looking for the puppy sfs file on 'sda1'. It should be looking for it's files on 'sr0' at this point.

Did you burn the ISO to CD using isoburner, or just copy the iso onto the CD?
I don't know why it is looking for sda1 but I simply choose the first line in bootloader, press tab and add -- forcepae to the config line

mikeslr

#11 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again, mcgyver83,

Primarily I started this reply just to answer your question, "Your suggestion @mikesir are suitable for non pae machine?"

Yes, but you'll probably still have to add the 'force-pae' argument. Which reminded me of Slacko 5.7.2CE, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 93#1018293. I think :wink:, in constructing the ISO, I properly wrote the isolinux.cfg file to already include that argument so that when booting from a CD no user action is required. But, I've never burnt a CD to confirm. You may also find useful information, especially about web-browsers, on that thread.

I no longer recommend Slacko 5.7.2CE as I consider jrb's and radky's Puppies superior. [And, as its author, I'd have to answer questions concerning it. :lol: ]
Slacko can't run any recent version of Chromium or its clones. But it does include Seamonkey 35. Although the thread mentions portable web-browsers, [strongly recommended], not mentioned was Mike Walsh's later publication of Seamonkey 46 portable, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 26#1024826 Both of these Seamonkey's are far more RAM-efficient than more recent web-browsers.

From Slacko 5.7.2 CE running from a CD, it should be easy to create a Frugal Install on your hard-drive of precise-lite, dpup-stretch, or any other recent 32-bit Puppies. Short version of how to do that:

1. Running Slacko from the CD, download a Puppy ISO and store it somewhere you can access.
2. Left-Click an empty space on your hard-drive, select New>Directory and give the new folder a name, e.g. precise. Leave that window open.
3. File-browse to the downloaded ISO and Left-Click it. A window will open revealing its contents. Left-Click an EMPTY SPACE, then press simultaneously CTL-a. All the files in that window will be highlighted/selected. PLACE your mouse-cursor on any file, Left-PRESS, then drag that file into your open 'precise' folder. Select copy. All selected files will be copied. [Left-press the ISO again to unmount it'].
4. Open Menu>Setup>Grub4dos and select sda -note there isn't any partition designation-- as the location on which to write the boot-loader. It will automatically generate a menu.lst listing all the operating systems you have on the computer [including Windows, even if it isn't]. It will then ask you if you want to edit that list. Select 'Yes' and the list will open in a text editor. You'll need to add 'force-pae' to each line beginning with the word 'kernel'.
5. If in order to boot the CD you've had to use any of the arguments bigpup suggested, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 08#1051508 you can also add them so while editing menu.lst.

With a low-RAM computer, once you get any Puppy up and running, I strongly recommend reading this post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 066#974066

mcgyver83

#12 Post by mcgyver83 »

Thanks for suggestions.

I have a macbook pro, with it I flash iso to usb to try to renew my old laptop: if there is something I can do to make this restoration easy I can use it.

I'll try you suggestion (Puppy iso download + Slacko approach)

Thanks

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

mcgyver83 wrote:I'm trying to restore and old pc to try to convert old VHS to dvd with a usb ARKMICRO device.

I saw that vlc should work fine but right now I have xubuntu 12.04 on this laptop and I'm not able to install vlc.
Hallo, mcgyver83. And Image to the "kennels".

This is hardly surprising, actually. The 12.04 LTS of Ubuntu ('Precise Pangolin') which your Xubuntu was based on, would have been disconnected from Canonical's servers many years ago. Ubuntu 12.04 itself received 5 years of support, etc; Xubuntu's policy has only ever been 3 years, even on an LTS 'base'.....so it would have been 'switched off' around 5 years ago.

Hence why you can't install anything, or even upgrade/update.....because there's nothing for you to connect to anymore.

-----------------------------

I agree with 'the other' Mike. Jrb's Precise-'lite' would be an extremely good point at which to start. 'Precise' Puppy itself is fast becoming known as the 'go-to' Puppy for older hardware, with limited resources.....and jrb has merely built on this, by stripping out the 'heavier' components of the original Precise - like a browser, office apps, etc - and upgrading many of the 'core' system components to more modern versions. It's a brilliant little Pup, because you basically install it, followed by adding only what you actually want.

I seriously recommend a 'frugal install, in your case to a USB stick (which would, I think, be more appropriate).

Precise-'light' forum thread

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. We're always happy to help.

Mike. :wink:

mcgyver83

#14 Post by mcgyver83 »

I'm sorry guys, I'm really a newbie for this kind of stuff.

When I installed xubuntu 12.04 was so easy, cd, boot and install.
I'm looking for something similar, "plug & play"

No luck for me?

I'm looking for the lighter os with gui, after I'll install software if I need them.

Now with plop I'm not able to boot from hdd the old xubuntu 12.04.
Have I any way to use the BionicPup32 cd that i burnt yesterday?

This is precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0 boot from usb
Attachments
IMG_20200301_164849.jpg
(80.51 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ mcgyver83:-

Y'know, you're just really unlucky having this particular CPU..! The Pentium Ms have always been a complete and utter PITA to work with in Linux.

They're the only CPUs ever built that have PAE, yet act as though they don't....because of a deliberately-omitted internal 'flag'. (Thanks, Intel..!! *heavy sarcasm*) Image

It's easy enough to modify the bootloader after you've got it installed, but you need to get it booting from the CD/DVD in the first place. Guys, how do we add the '--force-pae' flag to Puppy when booting the Live Session? It's not something I've ever needed to do.....I don't think this can be covered by 'puppy pfix=', can it?

(*....Later....*)

Take a look at this post, here:-

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 78#1032778

.....and the following one. Bigpup & rockedge were helping somebody else with the same problem you've got.

Let us know if that helps, please. (Once it's actually 'installed', properly, it'll be a piece of cake to get it booting first time, every time).

The other option is to perform a 'quick & dirty' install to USB. Still, try the above, first, and report back with the results, if you would.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 01 Mar 2020, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

mcgyver83

#16 Post by mcgyver83 »

I'm able to boot BionicPup32 from cd, go in bootloader menu, press tab, add

Code: Select all

forcepae
and proceed but i have this error

sda1 /puppy_upupbb_19.03.sfs mount of sfs failed
I don't know why is trying to use sda1
I didn't start any installation or something else.
I mean I bypassed the PAE issue (I think)

these log:

sys.log https://pastebin.com/1pdTP00e

bootinit https://www.italianpuppy.org/community/ ... attach=281
misc.log https://www.italianpuppy.org/community/ ... attach=283
Attachments
IMG_20200301_191444.jpg
Error
(70.37 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
IMG_20200301_191108.jpg
Bootloader
(99.57 KiB) Downloaded 139 times

rockedge

#17 Post by rockedge »

this is a kernel failure!!

Can you manually swap out for non-pae kernel? It will work better...meaning it will boot correctly

mcgyver83

#18 Post by mcgyver83 »

Sorry I didn't get you sentence.

If I remove

forcepae
I cannot go over, it complains for PAE

mikeslr

Booting CDs on a 'no-pae' computer

#19 Post by mikeslr »

The problem with booting CDs on a 'no-pae' computer is that the boot-manager, isolinux.cfg, does not provide the boot-argument 'forcepae'. Adding that argument is a 'Catch 22': it is fairly easy to edit isolinux.cfg and burn a modified ISO from a functioning Puppy, but first you have to be able to boot into Puppy.

If I recall correctly --a VERY BIG IF :oops: :roll: -- it MAY BE possible to boot an unmodified CD. But each time you do, you'll have to do the following:

On bootup, there is approximately 4 seconds within which interrupt the boot process and add instructions. It's been a half-dozen years since I've booted from a CD; and then the only instruction I sought to add was "pfix=ram" which boots a Puppy without copying the contents of a SaveFile/Folder into RAM. MAYBE SOME SIMILAR TECHNIQUE could be used. Googlin revealed, https://superuser.com/questions/611980/ ... -a-live-cd

"Now answering the question of "Edit boot menu when booting from a live CD"
All live CDs are using isolinux to boot.
Using isolinux to change boot options (e.g., to put in that nomodeset) is quite simple:
press TAB at the live CD boot up screen
change boot options (e.g., appended nomodeset options at the kernel prompt)
press enter to boot the live cd with the new (nomodeset) option"

Obviously, in your case, you'd add 'forcepae' or perhaps '--forcepae' or '-forcepae' without the quotes.

If that doesn't work, although your ultimate objective is to boot some other Puppy, you might take the intermediate step of creating a CD of a Puppy which uses a nopae kernel, for example, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 224#973224 or one whose isolinux.cfg already has the 'forcepae' argument. See the post on this page, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 93#1018293

Once you have a functioning Puppy, it is fairly easy to create a Frugal Install on either your hard-drive or a USB-Key of any Puppy you actually want. See this post, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 42#1051542

mcgyver83

#20 Post by mcgyver83 »

I tried, added pfix=ram and '-- forcepae' but no luck.

I have again the screen shown above :(