is there bionicpup64 with a later kernel? (SOLVED)

Core libraries and systems
gychang

is there bionicpup64 with a later kernel? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by gychang »

I believe the default BP64 has 4.1.. kernel, and I end up running xenialpup64 with 4.9.. since it works with my internal SD card reader.
I tried to change the kernel in BP64 and did not go well..., (I know it is simple).

Is there a BP64 available with later kernel somewhere?
Last edited by gychang on Mon 24 Feb 2020, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---

rockedge

#2 Post by rockedge »

Hello gychang,

you can change the kernel to any type you would like with the tool

Code: Select all

change_kernels
you can also find a menu entry in the Quickpet to launch the change_kernels program.

With this tool you can for example take a newer kernel that is compiled for Puppy Linux and exchange it with the stock 4.19.23 kernel.

some kernels are here: https://rockedge.org/kernels
which are tested and run with BionicPup64 or BionicPup32

You could delve into the world of kernel building using the kernel-kit in woof-CE to build a custom kernel for your BP64.
  • Download a huge kernel and extract the file to a directory.
    open the change_kernels program
    open in rox the directory holding the extracted huge kernel components
    drag the correct vmlinuz and kernel-modules.sfs paths to the program
    answer prompt yes
    reboot into BP64
Also using a search like https://rockedge.org/psearch you can perform a focused search on this forum to find many of the other great examples of kernels built by other members of this forum, that will run in Puppy Linux's of many types!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=165

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Just to better understand the change_kernels program.

The info for the input slots is a little misleading.
(Use nothing from the running Puppy)

What goes into the slots is stuff from the new kernel.
Top slot -->the vmlinuz file
Bottom slot -->the zdrv sfs or the kernel-modules sfs

There is a kernels button bottom right that will take you to the repository of all the regular Puppy versions kernels.
You can use any of them, however get too old a kernel and newer hardware may not be supported.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(34.19 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

gychang

#4 Post by gychang »

thank you for the help. I am unable to get the "change_kernels" to work. Normally I boot from a USB stick with a sav folder on a HD partition. I get this error message as pictured.

Unfortunately when I try to install the BionicP64 to HD (frugal), I get an error with "boot" flag even after gparted confirms the boot flag is set..., what a headache.
Attachments
kernel.png
(94.01 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
---
---

rockedge

#5 Post by rockedge »

that makes sense. The type of boot that is occuring from the usb drive has the system as read-only like if you were booting from a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM

you could try to re-partition your hard drive and create a new partition that is FAT32 formatted and something like 512 megabytes large. On this partition set the boot flag.
Now create a second primary partition using ext3 or ext4 (No boot flag) and make a directory there. This will be your frugal install directory so copy the contents of the USB drive into this directory. Then run Grub4Dos and let it search ALL the partitions then confirm when prompted and try a reboot.

mikeslr

Manually changing bionicpup64 kernal

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Deleted: After reading rockedge's post I concur. The problem isn't one of not being able to change the kernel. Rather, it has to do with setting up your hard-drive as both bootloader and location of bionicpup64.

gychang

#7 Post by gychang »

rockedge wrote:that makes sense. The type of boot that is occuring from the usb drive has the system as read-only like if you were booting from a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM

you could try to re-partition your hard drive and create a new partition that is FAT32 formatted and something like 512 megabytes large. On this partition set the boot flag.
Now create a second primary partition using ext3 or ext4 (No boot flag) and make a directory there. This will be your frugal install directory so copy the contents of the USB drive into this directory. Then run Grub4Dos and let it search ALL the partitions then confirm when prompted and try a reboot.

Back to trying to install to HD partition, frugal. Following your instructions. sdc1: fat32, sdc2: copied 4 files from BP64 USB stick, and ran grub4dos boot loader and get the error despite the boot flag?, is uefi causing problems??
Attachments
flag.png
(102.97 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
---
---

rockedge

#8 Post by rockedge »

yes this is being caused by uefi. You could try to set the computer in the setup to Legacy Boot. But good luck there are some well documented solutions to get Puppy Linux to boot on uefi machines on the forum.

Try using a focused search, there are several options, one of which is here:
https://rockedge.org/psearch

and search this forum for the uefi boot information. The boot flag on the FAT32 is also forcing the double selection with the ESP option?

gychang

#9 Post by gychang »

rockedge wrote:yes this is being caused by uefi. You could try to set the computer in the setup to Legacy Boot. But good luck there are some well documented solutions to get Puppy Linux to boot on uefi machines on the forum.

Try using a focused search, there are several options, one of which is here:
https://rockedge.org/psearch

and search this forum for the uefi boot information. The boot flag on the FAT32 is also forcing the double selection with the ESP option?
is forcing the double selection...
---
---

gychang

after frugal install, still can't change kernel

#10 Post by gychang »

Following suggestions per rockedge and bigpup, I managed to install to a HD partition (Frugal). I d/l a more recent 5.3 kernel, (compatible with BionicPup64 per rockedge's site) and inserted to the correct slots on the kernel change app, ok and reboot, but kernels remained unchanged...

Anyone have any suggestions??
Attachments
kernel.png
(71.19 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
---
---

rockedge

#11 Post by rockedge »

take a look at the frugal directory and see if the original kernel has been backed up and given a new name and that a vmlinuz and modules sfs is present. Did you click OK? Then reboot?

You could always rename the original kernel files and manually copy over the new kernel. Just make sure the names are correct.

gychang

#12 Post by gychang »

rockedge wrote:take a look at the frugal directory and see if the original kernel has been backed up and given a new name and that a vmlinuz and modules sfs is present. Did you click OK? Then reboot?

You could always rename the original kernel files and manually copy over the new kernel. Just make sure the names are correct.
looking at the /initrd/mnt/dev_save/bionicpup648.0frugal where my kernel should be located I only find save directory. I did click OK and reboot...
Attachments
kernel.png
(127.72 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
---
---

rockedge

#13 Post by rockedge »

the frugal install directory should look something like this:
Attachments
Screenshot(41).png
(26.55 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

What may be wrong is the way those new kernel files are named.
vmlinuz should just be named that.
The kernel-modules sfs should have .sfs at the end of the name, not in the middle of it.
Change the names for these new kernel files, before you put them in the change_kernels slots.

Are you dragging and dropping the new kernel files into the slots in the change_kernels?

Try doing it with the new kernel files downloaded to mnt/home
You have them in root/downloads, which is in the save.

They need to be in a place, that is not part of Puppy, as it is running.
mnt/home is just on the drive partition, totally outside of the Bionicpup64 8.0 frugal install.

Even better if they could be on a separate drive.
If everything is on the same partition and drive.
It has to read from that drive into memory, then write to that drive from memory. You can not read and write from a drive at exactly the same time.
If the files are on separate drives.
Reading from one drive and writing to the other drive, can happen directly at the same time.
YaPI(any iso installer)

gychang

almost there....

#15 Post by gychang »

I was able to upgrade to a more recent kernel, I had save folder in another HD partition so I was confused....

Now the nvidia driver that was working 440 on the default kernel on BP64 does not work, trouble shooting continues... also tried 410 in quickpet also no joy.
Attachments
kernel.png
(149.82 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
---
---

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

The Nvidia drivers that are in Quickpet->Drivers are compiled for the original kernel that comes in Bionicpup64 8.0
The Nvidia driver you were using is also compiled for that kernel.

You changed the kernel, so those drivers will not work for the new kernel.
Graphics drivers have to be compiled for the specific kernel they are going to be used with.

You have a different kernel, so you are going to have to compile a driver from a Nvidia driver run package or find a driver that has been compiled for the new kernel you are using.

Here is how to use the Nvidia driver run package from Nvidia to compile and install a driver.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110611

The Bionicpup64 8.0 devx sfs will work to give the needed programs for compiling.

If you got the new kernel from rockedge's repository.
I see the kernel sources sfs is also there.
Get the one that exactly matches the kernel you are now using.
Last edited by bigpup on Mon 24 Feb 2020, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

gychang

done!

#17 Post by gychang »

bigpup wrote:The Nvidia drivers that are in Quickpet->Drivers are compiled for the original kernel that comes in Bionicpup64 8.0
The Nvidia driver you where using is also compiled for that kernel.

You changed the kernel, so those drivers will not work for the new kernel.
Graphics drivers have to be compiled for the specific kernel they are going to be used with.

You have a different kernel, so you are going to have to compile a driver from a Nvidia driver run package or find a driver that has been compiled for the new kernel you are using.

Here is how to use the Nvidia driver run package from Nvidia to compile and install a driver.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110611

The Bionicpup64 8.0 devx sfs will work to give the needed programs for compiling.

If you got the new kernel from rockedge's repository.
I see the kernel sources sfs is also there.
Get the one that exactly matches the kernel you are now using.
thanks for all the help on this forum, particularly clear instruction on nvidia driver install by bigpup. I was able to install a recent kernel and the latest nvidia driver.
Attachments
kernel.png
(134.54 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
---
---

bigpup

#18 Post by bigpup »

Keep us updated on how the kernel is working for Bionicpup64 8.0.
Any problems you may have.
Maybe find that something is working better.

Probably the next latest new version of Puppy is going to need to go to using a 5 series kernel or maybe offering one to change to.
YaPI(any iso installer)

rockedge

#19 Post by rockedge »

good to see the kernel change and compile of the new Nvidia driver is successful

I will be compiling some additional 5x series kernels for Puppy Linux systems requiring real time kernels and some that are just the latest greatest for testing and newer hardware. These will eventually be available at https://rockedge.org/kernels

gychang

#20 Post by gychang »

rockedge wrote:good to see the kernel change and compile of the new Nvidia driver is successful

I will be compiling some additional 5x series kernels for Puppy Linux systems requiring real time kernels and some that are just the latest greatest for testing and newer hardware. These will eventually be available at https://rockedge.org/kernels
I got your site bookmarked. I was not able to install 5.3.18 but OK with 5.3.13. Unfortunately my internal SD reader still is not detected. On xenialpup64 kernel 4.9.58 can... I ended up installing both since I use SD cards a lot for picture hobby.
---
---