Firefox-73 crash following update from FF-72.0.2

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
B.K. Johnson

Firefox-73 crash following update from FF-72.0.2

#1 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Using Tahr-6.0.6, Frugal ... rest in sig.
After update of FF-72.0.2 to FF-73, either directly or manually, Crash Reporter(CR) appears. A couple manual installs = same result. Invoking FF from terminal gives CR + this additional info which doesn't appear to be a FF error per se.

Code: Select all

(firefox:988): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class 'GtkSettings' has no property named 'gtk-decoration-layout'
ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child 1053
ExceptionHandler::SendContinueSignalToChild sent continue signal to child
ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal waiting for continue signal...
root# Exiting due to channel error.
root# Failed to open curl lib from binary, use libcurl.so instead
Any ideas to fix before I revert to 72.0.2?
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

rockedge

#2 Post by rockedge »

I saw this in another thread as well. From 2018 ->
http://45.33.15.200/puppy/viewtopic.php ... 48#1013363

Check the firefox symlink in /usr/bin or where ever it is, and see that it is pointing to the new firefox binary

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

I was using firefox portable from here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 010#978010. It was in a folder named firefox64. I changed the name of that folder to firefox64-old, and copied all its files and folders to a "new" firefox64 folder. I then downloaded and unpacked firefox-73.0.tar.bz. Deleted any folder from within the "new" firefox64 folder where the extracted firefox-73 folder had a corresponding one. Then copied all files and folder from the extracted firefox-73 into the firefox64 folder, allowing new file-versions to overwrite those already in the firefox64 folder.

The resulting portable appears to work without any problem. I won't delete the firefox-old folder until usage of the new portable for a while reveals that there aren't any problems rarely encountered.

OscarTalks

#4 Post by OscarTalks »

Generally I am happy using older versions of Firefox but I did test 73 just now and have to confirm that in my remastered Wheezy I get the same error and crash.

However, in my remastered StretchPup, Firefox 73 starts and runs OK.
This points to something in Firefox development which has caused a problem with older libraries, since the original report was a problem in Tahr.

The ESR version 68.5.0 runs OK in Wheezy.
The Glib-GObject warnings are there, but it still runs
The warning about /root/.pangorc can be removed by creating this as a blank file, but it does not seem critical.

So I don't have a fix. Maybe the Firefox people will address it in the next update, assuming it gets reported, unless they want to specify that the browser no longer works in older distros.
Oscar in England

B.K. Johnson

#5 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@rockedge wrote
Check the firefox symlink in /usr/bin ...
There was a good chance that this was the problem for I didn't change the symlink ... that is until OscarTalks confirmed the error.
I completed 2 crash reports and submitted to mozilla. I may send a bug report too. Gave them my email address too, but my internet just came back, so haven't checked the inbox yet. Will post if I get anything.

@mikeslr
I have done something like you did when I had a problem with seamonkey and Gtk2/Gtk3. I'll bear your approach in mind for the next version.
In trying to revert to 72.0.2, I had to create a new profile and lost my bookmarks. :(

Thanks guys.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]