Firefox audio (from BBC News stream) killed by Audacious

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
JohnFluter

Firefox audio (from BBC News stream) killed by Audacious

#1 Post by JohnFluter »

I have updated to BionicPuppy32 in an Asus eeePC. Full install.

I prefer Firefox72, installed using PPM. (The sfs version does not include an icon for the menu.)

All was well (with lowest quality video) until I added Audacious using PPM.

After that I was unable to get hear stream's audio. (This is not a level control issue. Audacious also deletes the player settings.)

Uninstalling Audacious and all associated dependencies, using PPM, and restarting Firefox gets the audio back.

Audacious and its dependencies no longer shows in PPM. There is no increase in my storage space. To my surprise, Audacious still features in the menu and it still works.

I am very short of space with only a 4GB ssd hdd (and 2GB memory) so storage space is important.

These issues are not related to the device. I have the same result in another netbook.

So, two related questions. What is going on? How can I recover the storage space taken by apps I no longer want and uninstall?

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Audacious was one of a series of bad audio players.
Deadbeef does it properly as an alternative.

The problem most likely is audacious using an older or inappropriate sound driver method and thus 'hogging' the sound card.
Java can do a similar annoying trick.

mike

JohnFluter

#3 Post by JohnFluter »

Mike Many thanks for your quick response.

I've run into several issues which seem to be related to Bionic. Its nice to know that there may be unavoidable problems with some applications. So many things have changed recently that it is difficult to identify the problem area. I think this one may be due to new BBC coding and HTML5 in this case.

On the positive side, this old eeePC would not render BBC video before but the sound was fine. I've been using Slacko 5.7 in it for several years. Bionic Pup32 seems to suit it (and me) even better.

DeaDbeef works perfectly without upsetting Firefox.

Cheers! John