Videos to promote and teach Puppy

Promote Puppy !
mikeslr

rufus & dpup-stretch

#21 Post by mikeslr »

Sorry Enrique,

I don't know what could have gone wrong. I booted into Windows 7 and used the latest rufus -version 3.8- from here, https://rufus.ie/ to install first stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso then stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.1.48.iso both from the links here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 590#974590 to a USB-Stick. In both instances, I was able to boot into dpup-stretch 7.5 from that Stick. With USB-port set as the first device to boot from, the device booted and provided choices, the first of which "Start stretch 7.5" was chosen and booted to desktop after I accepted the default display option.

Examining the contents of the USB-Stick, it appears that the displayed menu was grub.cfg. isolinux.cfg, which includes instructions for the vesamenu.c32, and arguments pmedia=cd, provided more boot options, but as I suspect is present in the ISO if it were to be burned to a CD/DVD.

Bootings were successful despite that there is something wrong with the USB-Stick. When plugged into a USB-port while running a different Puppy, it does not auto-mount. If I format it using gparted and set the boot-flag, gparted then indicates it's not readable. So for the first rufus test I just formatted it as fat32 and did not set the boot flag. Despite that, rufus did it own formatting to fat32 and, as said, created a bootable Stick. For the second, I just let rufus reformat and overwrite the first version installed, which again created a bootable Stick.

I do not have a computer using UEFI to boot. So I can't test that. As I said a post or two ago, I don't know why on your system rufus creates a system which tries to open vesamenu.c32.

Mike Walsh

#22 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Enrique/Mike:-

Thought of trying a 'quick & dirty' install to that stick? (I.e., re-format the stick to, say, ext3; set the boot flag; just copy over the contents of the ISO to the stick; run Grub4DOS, selecting the stick and ticking the 'Search only this device' checkbox?)

Bearing in mind my own attempts to get a replacement stick for my SanDisk Cruzer 'Blades' up-and-running, it might be interesting to see how the BIOS on both those machines sees that stick.

- If it sees the stick as 'USB-HDD', well, you're in with a shout.

- If the stick is seen as 'USB-ZIP0', then you may have to do things a different way. Certainly, my own machines refuse point-blank to have anything to do with a USB stick recognised in that manner.

Still begs the question as to why Enrique's boxes are coming up with the 'Vesamenu.c32' thing when attempting to boot; like Mike, my own install of DPup 'Stretch' went without a hitch the first time out.....and my boxes are, respectively, 15 & 17 yrs old.

Just an idea, FWIW.

---------------------------

@ Enrique:-

With regard to accessing Google Drive via the browser, any reasonably modern browser ought to be capable of doing that. However, we do have other options; Fredx181 has come up with a 2-pane file manager that allows you to access and manage your Google Drive without having to open a browser at all.

It makes use of APIs which Google have long had in place specifically for that very purpose, although there are rumours that said APIs will be phased out within the next couple of years.....

If you're interested, you can find them here:-

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112322

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

rufus install of dpup-stretch will boot on UEFI computer

#23 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again Enrique,

My wife has me very well trained. Several years ago I attempted a frugal install of Puppy with grub4dos as bootloader on her, then, Toshiba Laptop. Eventually, I had to install Ubuntu, which she never used, merely to have it's grub2 bootloader so that she could boot into Windows. So I've been banned from touching her now Windows 10 new Laptop employing UEFI :(, except when something goes wrong and she needs my assistance. :roll: Frankly, when I wrote my last post it didn't occur to me that there was a UEFI computer available.

But, today she went out to a 'Street-fair'. I figured I could surreptitiously see if dpup-stretch on the USB-Key I mentioned above would boot from her laptop. :) I almost got away with it. She returned early and seeing me at her computer gave me several minutes of grief. :lol:

However, not before dpup-stretch successfully booted to desktop. One thing I noticed which may relate to the problem you've had with rufus. For a few seconds before presenting the boot-choice menu, there was a message on the screen I think relating to vesamenu. I took no action and the boot-choices menu appeared.

My wife's laptop has a powerful CPU and plenty of RAM. Perhaps on a less powerful computer the initial message, whatever it was, would have taken a considerable time before booting, with its display of boot-choice, would have kicked in.

In short, next time you try to boot a rufus prepared USB-Stick and the message appears, just wait.

Mike Walsh

#24 Post by Mike Walsh »

The only other thing that comes to mind is that your download of DPup Stretch 7.5 could of course simply be a 'bad' one. Do you check md5sums, etc., to confirm if a download is good or not?

This could explain why it's trying to load vesamenu and is popping up that error message, telling you that it's not a COM32R image..... Could be corrupted. It happens more often than you'd realise, especially when you do everything by wireless, rather than eth0.

Mike. :wink: