Puppy only gives 1024 x 768 laptop screen resolution

For drivers and kernel modules.
bigpup

#21 Post by bigpup »

Partitioning unallocated space should be no problem.
It is there, so use it for something.
If you want Xenialpup only using it.
Format in a Linux format ext 3 or 4.

How are you trying to install stuff?

This is how Puppy does it:
Basic info on installing additional programs.

Program packages need to be compiled for Puppy for the best chance to work. Puppy has it's own way of doing things.
Program packages are available in several ways. What you are looking for is probably available in one of them.

Puppy Package Manager(PPM), that is installed with the version of Puppy Linux you have, is the best place to get new programs. It will open, showing programs that are known to work on your version of Puppy.
1. Run Puppy Package Manager.
2. Left mouse click on a listed program.
3. Follow install directions
4. Program installs.

Depending on the version of Puppy you have, the package manager will have option to get packages from repositories other then Puppy repositories. The package manager will need to be configured for them.
This is how:
Run Puppy Package Manager (PPM)
Select configure package manager.
Select the repositories you want to show.
Select update now.
After the update process, (it will take some time to update).
Close and restart PPM.
Should now see your new repositories at top of PPM window.
You then select the one you want to show in listings.
Note:
When getting packages from non-Puppy repositories, make sure you click on examine dependencies button (if offered) and download and install any identified as needed along with program package.
(newest version of PPM does this automatically)

Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff)section of this forum is the next best place to look. However, you must keep in mind that you will find programs that where originally compiled under a specific version of Puppy and they may or may not work with your version.
General rule is to read the posting for the program pet and see if there is any info that would indicate what version of Puppy it will work under.
Most of the stuff will work on a large portion of Puppies, but not 100% guaranteed.
You may find more then one version of a program. Sometimes that makes a difference.
1. Find a program you want.
2. Open the program thread.
3. find the link for downloading the program pet.
4. Left mouse click on the link
5. Follow the directions to either install or save.
(If you save the pet file you can install by viewing the pet file in Rox-Filer (file manager) and left click on it)
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#22 Post by Flash »

What I found is that if I start Firefox before I get the sound working right, I have to close and restart Firefox to get the sound to work in Firefox.

Generally it is better to restart the X server with Firefox still running than to simply close Firefox, because then when you restart Firefox it offers to renew all the tabs you had open when it was so rudely stopped.

Lunos

#23 Post by Lunos »

bigpup wrote:Partitioning unallocated space should be no problem.
It is there, so use it for something.
If you want Xenialpup only using it.
Format in a Linux format ext 3 or 4.

How are you trying to install stuff?

This is how Puppy does it:
Basic info on installing additional programs.

Program packages need to be compiled for Puppy for the best chance to work. Puppy has it's own way of doing things.
Program packages are available in several ways. What you are looking for is probably available in one of them.

Puppy Package Manager(PPM), that is installed with the version of Puppy Linux you have, is the best place to get new programs. It will open, showing programs that are known to work on your version of Puppy.
1. Run Puppy Package Manager.
2. Left mouse click on a listed program.
3. Follow install directions
4. Program installs.

Depending on the version of Puppy you have, the package manager will have option to get packages from repositories other then Puppy repositories. The package manager will need to be configured for them.
This is how:
Run Puppy Package Manager (PPM)
Select configure package manager.
Select the repositories you want to show.
Select update now.
After the update process, (it will take some time to update).
Close and restart PPM.
Should now see your new repositories at top of PPM window.
You then select the one you want to show in listings.
Note:
When getting packages from non-Puppy repositories, make sure you click on examine dependencies button (if offered) and download and install any identified as needed along with program package.
(newest version of PPM does this automatically)

Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff)section of this forum is the next best place to look. However, you must keep in mind that you will find programs that where originally compiled under a specific version of Puppy and they may or may not work with your version.
General rule is to read the posting for the program pet and see if there is any info that would indicate what version of Puppy it will work under.
Most of the stuff will work on a large portion of Puppies, but not 100% guaranteed.
You may find more then one version of a program. Sometimes that makes a difference.
1. Find a program you want.
2. Open the program thread.
3. find the link for downloading the program pet.
4. Left mouse click on the link
5. Follow the directions to either install or save.
(If you save the pet file you can install by viewing the pet file in Rox-Filer (file manager) and left click on it)
Well, right now I'm just trying to load the 32bit Compatibility module.
Flash wrote:What I found is that if I start Firefox before I get the sound working right, I have to close and restart Firefox to get the sound to work in Firefox.

Generally it is better to restart the X server with Firefox still running than to simply close Firefox, because then when you restart Firefox it offers to renew all the tabs you had open when it was so rudely stopped.
As I mentioned earlier, I got audio working with Firefox 67 by installing Firefox 57 first. I got forced to update, but the audio has been working fine since then.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#24 Post by Flash »

Lunos, has your original problem with the resolution been solved? Are we on to other things now? If so, It's better to start a new topic.

Lunos

#25 Post by Lunos »

Flash wrote:Lunos, has your original problem with the resolution been solved? Are we on to other things now? If so, It's better to start a new topic.
Yes, that issue was solved as soon as I booted up Xenial. It got the right screen resolution right away.

Guess I'll make a new thread for tbis issue with my free space then.
Should I make it in the hardware section?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=14

bigpup

#26 Post by bigpup »

Well, right now I'm just trying to load the 32bit Compatibility module.

I think this is your problem.

You have one partition sda1
You have a save file that is using most of the space in sda1.
(save files, when made, are a set size you choose)
The save file is an area of the drive partition allocated to only be used by the save.

/mnt/home is the top layer of the sda1 partition.
(The sda1 partition area not inside the save file, other folders, directories, etc........)
Only free space you have in the partition is 8mb.
So, /mnt/home only has that much free space to use.
Not enough room for the 32bit compatibly sfs.

I would make another partition using all that unallocated space.
Move the save file to it.
Then sda1 will have more free space.

May be better if you just start over fresh, with a new partition setup, and fresh install of Xenialpup.

Really you should have started with one big partition using all of the drive.
Installed Xenialpup to it.
Made a xenialpup save.
Still have a lot of free space not being used in that one partition and data could be written to it.

This may help you understand.
You have a drive partition.
All of Puppy Linux files are installed to that partition.
A Puppy save is made to become the storage for anything changed or added to Puppy.
/mnt/home is that partition.

To visually see /mnt/home
Click on the desktop drive icon for sda1
Rox file manager will open and show what is on the drive partition.

Yes, any sfs packages you are going to load and use need to be placed in /mnt/home
That puts them outside of the save and do not use free space in the save.
That is one reason to use sfs packages.
They are there to load or unload and do not get installed into Puppy Linux.
It is a different way to package and use software.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Lunos

#27 Post by Lunos »

bigpup wrote:May be better if you just start over fresh, with a new partition setup, and fresh install of Xenialpup.
Yep, in the end that's just what I did. I think I have everything perfectly set now. I just need to find out why does my PC get stuck every 10-15 minutes.
Is it possible that the OS is "Saving to RAM" or to my .sfs savefile all the time, automatically?
Can I somehow disable that, and make it so I have to save manually?

a_salty_dogg

#28 Post by a_salty_dogg »

@ Lunos

"Menu > System > Puppy Event Manager > Save Session Tab / Periodic save from RAM"

(Guidance on that page should be self-explanatory :wink:)

When done, click "OK"

Lunos

#29 Post by Lunos »

a_salty_dogg wrote:@ Lunos

"Menu > System > Puppy Event Manager > Save Session Tab / Periodic save from RAM"

(Guidance on that page should be self-explanatory :wink:)

When done, click "OK"
Thank you!
The only thing left to solve is an issue I'm having after installing Wine, but I'll just take that to the Wine thread instead. All my doubts and ignorance on Linux have turned this thread into a mess of different problems. I'm sorry, and thanks everyone for all the help!

Mike Walsh

#30 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Lunos:-

This much I will say; never, ever feel you have to apologise for being new at something. We all had to start somewhere, and most of us came from Windows, like you, and voluntarily flung ourselves into the uncharted waters of the Linux eco-system.

The difference is quite a shock to some, but if you have an enquiring mind, enjoy a challenge, and don't give up at the first hurdle, you'll soon get the hang of it....

One bit of advice. WINE problems, we generally sort out in open forum. Version 2013, though the Puppy 'guru' of building WINE packages, very rarely if ever answers questions on that thread. I think he's shy! :lol:

What problem are you having, specifically? If you start a separate topic for it, we'll do what we can.....OK?

(One point - and this isn't finding fault, but.....are you sure your screen is only 1366x768?? Mine's 1024x768, and I'm having to scroll nearly 3 times the width of my screen to be able to read your posts..!) :?

Mike. :wink:

Lunos

#31 Post by Lunos »

Mike Walsh wrote:One bit of advice. WINE problems, we generally sort out in open forum. Version 2013, though the Puppy 'guru' of building WINE packages, very rarely if ever answers questions on that thread. I think he's shy! :lol:
I guess I should make a new thread for the issue then? I left a reply in his thread regardless.
Mike Walsh wrote:What problem are you having, specifically? If you start a separate topic for it, we'll do what we can.....OK?
Well, I basically installed the wine64-4.11_v4.1.pet package and when I tried to use winecfg just to test things out, I got a bunch of errors.
https://pastebin.com/Ej3G8hkU
Mike Walsh wrote:(One point - and this isn't finding fault, but.....are you sure your screen is only 1366x768?? Mine's 1024x768, and I'm having to scroll nearly 3 times the width of my screen to be able to read your posts..!) :?
Well, the only thing I'm sure of is that my current screen resolution is 1366x768, and that's how I want it to be :D

I do think the forum might have some Line Wrapping problems, because sometimes I also need to scroll to the right to read a full post.

It seems to be pretty barebones, because of that and because of the lack of basic functions like being able to hide others users' signatures.

Mike Walsh

#32 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Lunos.

With regard to the nature of the forum itself, you have to realise that this isn't a large forum run by a whole bunch of people, who get financing through advertising, etc.

The Puppy Forums are provided solely by a single individual, and paid for totally out of his own pocket. John Murga, as I understand it, is good friends with Barry K, who started Puppy over 15 years ago; the pHp forum software is a very elderly version, which has been 'patched' on multiple occasions over the years. I believe it would cost more, in real terms, to upgrade everything than John really wants to pay.....on top of which, I don't think he has the time to spare any longer.

Be that as it may, it works well enough for our purposes. We've gotten used to its 'quirks' & shortcomings, and are rather fond of it! One thing's for certain; no matter who you are, or where in the world you hail from, this is the very best place on t' web to get help with any & all Puppy issues.....

Lunos

#33 Post by Lunos »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hi, Lunos.

With regard to the nature of the forum itself, you have to realise that this isn't a large forum run by a whole bunch of people, who get financing through advertising, etc.

The Puppy Forums are provided solely by a single individual, and paid for totally out of his own pocket. John Murga, as I understand it, is good friends with Barry K, who started Puppy over 15 years ago; the pHp forum software is a very elderly version, which has been 'patched' on multiple occasions over the years. I believe it would cost more, in real terms, to upgrade everything than John really wants to pay.....on top of which, I don't think he has the time to spare any longer.

Be that as it may, it works well enough for our purposes. We've gotten used to its 'quirks' & shortcomings, and are rather fond of it! One thing's for certain; no matter who you are, or where in the world you hail from, this is the very best place on t' web to get help with any & all Puppy issues.....

It does its job and it does it fine. That's all that matters.
Besides, I like its simplistic look :)

Unrelated: I thought that disabling the automatic saves would solve my problem, but my PC keeps freezing every 15-20 minutes :/
Last time it happened I had the Task Manager opened and I was able to see that the Lxtask and XOrg processes were using my CPU like crazy.
Any clues what could be causing it? The only thing I have visibly opened besides the apps in the taskbar (like the battery and disk usage meters) was Mozilla Firefox 67.

bigpup

#34 Post by bigpup »

Look in Firefox preferences and see what it is setup to do automatically.
Look at any web pages you have it accessing.
Web pages now seem to have all kinds of things going on in the background.
New pop ups, videos playing, and changing, etc......
Who knows how much memory those things are burning up.
Check the cache size limit settings.

Try having Firefox not running and see if you still have freezing.

Have you done a Xenialpup updates?
Quickpet>Info>Xenialpup updates
YaPI(any iso installer)

Lunos

#35 Post by Lunos »

bigpup wrote:Look in Firefox preferences and see what it is setup to do automatically.
Look at any web pages you have it accessing.
Web pages now seem to have all kinds of things going on in the background.
New pop ups, videos playing, and changing, etc......
Who knows how much memory those things are burning up.
Check the cache size limit settings.

Try having Firefox not running and see if you still have freezing.

Have you done a Xenialpup updates?
Quickpet>Info>Xenialpup updates
One of the first things I always do with Firefox is tweak it a little bit. Disk Cache is set to 0, so it's Disabled.
I'm also using uBlock Origin with Nano Defender to avoid most of the ads, trackers and other scummy things that webpages nowadays use to steal data.

I forgot to get the Xenialpup Updates, but I did it just now. Let's hope that solves it.

I'm gonna try to stay 20 minutes with the browser closed, to see if it still happens.

Any clues about the issue with Wine though? Right now, I would love to solve that. I guess there's a font I have to install to take care of the first few errors, but what about the others?
EDIT: Solved it. I just had to execute ldconfig again, like it was mentioned in this post.
EDIT2: I also solved my issue with the audio too by installing the libmpg123-0_1.12.1-3_i386 deb package found here.

EDIT2: My PC almost froze just now, again. This time, I was able to kill Firefox and take a pic with the Task Manager opened.
Any clues? I think JWM could be causing it, but idk how can I fix it, if it is.

EDIT3: I reinstalled Firefox and made sure to avoid the forced update to 67, so right now I'm using Firefox 57, hoping that the problem comes from Firefox 67.

EDIT4: The issue is still there somewhat. I'm still getting freezes with Firefox 57, but they're less pronounced/seemingly dangerous as when it happened with Firefox 67.
This time I can actually kill the process and restart the browser without worrying about having the whole PC freeze on me.
I don't know if there's some missing libraries, or if the Linux version of Firefox just sucks.

bigpup

#36 Post by bigpup »

Firefox just sucks and has for sometime now.

Xenialpup comes with the Pale Moon browser
It is developed by people that left Firefox, because they did not like the way Firefox was going.
Never had a problem using it.

Before trying anything else and anything more invasive, simply launch your Firefox with all extensions and addons disabled:
From inside Firefox go to menu icon > help > restart with disabled add-ons.

In case Firefox with all add-ons disabled does no longer freeze, you can start identifying which add-ons is to be blamed by re-enabling one add-on at a time, till the freezes re-occur. The add-on which you re-enabled last very likely is the culprit. Disable it again and restart Firefox.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Lunos

#37 Post by Lunos »

bigpup wrote:Firefox just sucks and has for sometime now.

Xenialpup comes with the Pale Moon browser
It is developed by people that left Firefox, because they did not like the way Firefox was going.
Never had a problem using it.

Before trying anything else and anything more invasive, simply launch your Firefox with all extensions and addons disabled:
From inside Firefox go to menu icon > help > restart with disabled add-ons.

In case Firefox with all add-ons disabled does no longer freeze, you can start identifying which add-ons is to be blamed by re-enabling one add-on at a time, till the freezes re-occur. The add-on which you re-enabled last very likely is the culprit. Disable it again and restart Firefox.
I don't really like Pale Moon. It lacks updates and it lacks AddOns.
As for Firefox, so far so good. I disabled the RAM cache by setting browser.cache.memory.enable to False in about:config and things have been seemingly working fine so far. Gonna come back if anything happens.

bigpup

#38 Post by bigpup »

PaleMoon does update.
How to do updates has changed in recent versions.
In the past it was a sperate program you run.
Now it is built into Pale Moon.

If you did Quickpet>Info>Xenialpup updates.

The old Pale Moon update should be fixed for the new way.
Run this program.
menu>Internet>PaleMoon Update

That should update Pale Moon to a version that now has the Update built into Pale Moon.
Running that version of Pale Moon
You get update options in the PaleMoon>preferences>Advanced>Update
And PaleMoon>help>Check for Updates

I have my PaleMoon set to look for updates, but ask to apply them.
Just updated it to latest version.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#39 Post by bigpup »

PaleMoon Add-ons is a little lacking, but there are some.

PaleMoon>Tools>Add-ons>Get Add-ons>Pale Moon add-ons site>Extensions

Example:

Ublock Origins

Privacy & Security
uBlock Origin Updater
Follow info on getting Ublock installed and also install this updater.

A little funky on how to do it, but it works.
Attachments
Screenshot(6).jpg
(25.31 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#40 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Lunos:-

Well, I understand you don't like Palemoon; you've made that quite plain. Many of us, though, do find Palemoon's a good, general browser for day-to-day surfing. It's lightweight, has a relatively small memory footprint, and runs well with Puppy.

Of course, there's no reason why you can't run more than one browser, y'know. I do myself, around 4-5 in every one of my Pups, for one, simple reason; because no browser is capable of being good at everything you want it to do. They all have their pros & cons.

In case you want to try an up-to-date version of Palemoon, here's the very latest, packed as a 'portable'. The advantage of these is that you can put these anywhere you want, and run them from there, too.....making them ideal for placing outside of 'Puppy-space' - the save-file/folder.

Navigate through, and help yourself to which one you want:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

When you've downloaded it, untar it. Inside, you'll find a directory called 'palemoon32' or 'palemoon64', depending on your architecture. A good place to put this is in /mnt/home, but you can also run these from a USB stick if you wish.

Inside, there's a script called 'plmn'. First time you click on this, it'll create Palemoon's profile directory, (called 'profile', aptly) inside the main one; populate it, and fire up the browser. Second and subsequent times you start via this script, it'll fire up the browser and always use the 'internal' profile. And that's why you can move this browser around from one place to another.

Entirely up to you, of course.