Another puppy used

Promote Puppy !
Moose On The Loose

Another puppy used

#1 Post by Moose On The Loose »

Imagine a situation with a computer from an employee who has left and somehow folks forgot to record what his password is.

Fortunately, the hard disks weren't encrypted. Just pop in a puppy CD and all the contents could be viewed and copied onto a memory stick. I points up a security issue that it is so easy but I very carefully avoided the mention of that.

learnhow2code

Re: Another puppy used

#2 Post by learnhow2code »

Moose On The Loose wrote:a security issue that it is so easy but I very carefully avoided the mention of that.
if they dont have a policy about encryption, their choices are convenience and false security-- might as well take convenience then. sounds like it worked out in this case.

Burn_IT

#3 Post by Burn_IT »

That is bad security and ANY CD boot disk would work,
though perhaps, Puppy is the most complete.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

p310don

#4 Post by p310don »

Reminds me of a recent situation.

The other week a friend of mine was having big issues with her computer. It just wouldn't boot at all, "No OS found".

I put in a Puppy CD, and it booted straight to desktop. I was able to open her hard drive, find her family photos and copy them to a usb stick for back up purposes.

I was quite chuffed with myself, I sorted out her main worries (losing photos) and gave her a quick lesson on how to us Puppy.

Only after I was done did she get a bit upset. In windows, she's password protected the PC so that nobody could get into her stuff. And here I was, within 1 minute copying everything off the hard drive!

Luckily it was just her personal computer, with nothing of importance to anyone else. But it is embarrassingly easy to get into a "locked" PC with a good live CD.