Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mavrothal

#601 Post by mavrothal »

For the now deleted darktable question from gychang, above.
Darktable now recommends 64bit versions only that's why is not in PPM.
However, you can get darktable_2.4.4-0pmjdebruijn1~xenial_i386.deb from http://ppa.launchpad.net/pmjdebruijn/da ... darktable/ and it works.
You'll also need a bunch of dependencies. Just start darktable from cli, see what it asks for and install from PPM. The only hard to find is libIlmImf because is provided by libopenexr22.
Be advise that darktable_2.6.2-0pmjdebruijn1~bionic_i386.deb will not run on Dpup as it need Glibc 2.27 and Stretch has 2.24.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Mike Walsh

#602 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Oscar:-

Thanks for the tip about the themes. Mine was set to Aurora, apparently; changing that to Murrine did indeed give me a 'dark' theme.....a little too dark for my liking, actually. None of the other Murrine themes appear to do anything, since they're all GTK 2.0 only.

I'll have to have a scout round, see if I can find some other GTK 3.0 themes for Gnome. That'll keep me busy!

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#603 Post by Mike Walsh »

Actually, that didn't take long at all.

Found this site - gnome-look.org - which has some nice stuff on it. In GTK-3.0 themes, I found a neat collection, titled 'Shades-of-gray'. Thought I'd just publish the link for this page here, in case anyone else might be interested:-

https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1244058/

I downloaded the whole 'Shades-of-gray' collection. 'Shades-of-gray-Firebrick' now gives me this:-

(My folder icon is the size it is due to having been modified in ROX. Nothing actually 'wrong' with it.)

Mike. :wink:

tallboy

#604 Post by tallboy »

Thank you, radky, I'll ask in the Rox-filer thread.
You wrote:The remaining 'coding exception' message appears to represent an interaction between your browser and adblocker while processing javascript input (not a Glib-GIO issue).
Aha, the reason may be 22000 excluded sites in /etc/hosts... :D

I asked about JWM a couple of posts back, but I found my mistake. :oops: I have used the old JWM black-vg theme in my dpups and Lucid, but it don't work in recent versions of JWM. I have rewritten it, and kept it close to the original, and named it Sub-marine. I have uploaded the theme to the JWM Themes Exchange thread.

I have modified the /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal file manually, and later through the optional edit function in JWMDesk Manager. If I make any changes in JWMDesk Manager, and apply them with the builtin button, I have discovered that some of my manually added modifications in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal have been reset to the default. I set MoveMode and ResizeMode coordinates to on, and FocusModel to sloppy. After making changes using JWMDesk Manager, the coordinats are set back to off, but the FocusMode remains sloppy. Is there a codeline somewhere that makes the use of JWMDesk Manager load a default setup, only including modifications made by using the JWMDesk Manager, instead of merging the changes with the existing jwmrc-personal?
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

tallboy

#605 Post by tallboy »

I have a serious problem. I have 2 PCs with Dpup Stretch-7.5 RC4 installed frugally. One laptop with an SSD, one stationary PC with a 2.5" HDD, both set as flash in the installer choice, both set to Save session interval=0, and to be asked to save at shutdown. I have experienced that I have to make preference files several times, and I have been angry with myself for forgetting to save at shutdown. But, that is not the case. See my last post where JWMDesk manager saves seem to screw up my settings. Those saves usually goes hand-in-hand with clicking the Save (save2flash) button on the desktop, because I don't want to save just for the session. I described my 22000 lines /etc/hosts file in the last post. I just opened it to add the murga-linux.com IP address to bypass the DNS, that I copied from a recent post in the forum. Apart from the 4 default lines, /etc/hosts is empty! The save2flash process seem to reload some defaults, but how? The same happens in both PCs. I have a 10Gb partition as sda1 with Dpup, Grub and savefolder, see pics. The stretchsave folder is 186Mb, I have run the du command on it, two level deep, text file attached as a fake gz file. Download and remove gz from name.

Code: Select all

From Grub menu.lst:

timeout 6
default 0
#
title Puppy Linux - Dpup Stretch 7.5
root (hd0,0)
kernel /stretch7.5frugal/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash psubdir=stretch7.5frugal pfix=fsck
initrd /stretch7.5frugal/initrd.gz
#
title Puppy Linux - Dpup Stretch 7.5 no saves
root (hd0,0)
kernel /stretch7.5frugal/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash psubdir=stretch7.5frugal pfix=fsck,nocopy,ram
initrd /stretch7.5frugal/initrd.gz
Attachments
saves.gz
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
frugal-1.jpg
(22.89 KiB) Downloaded 760 times
frugal-2.jpg
(22.79 KiB) Downloaded 756 times

radky

#606 Post by radky »

tallboy wrote:
Is there a codeline somewhere that makes the use of JWMDesk Manager load a default setup, only including modifications made by using the JWMDesk Manager, instead of merging the changes with the existing jwmrc-personal?
The current release of JWMDesk Manager defaults to 'off' for the JWM options that set MoveMode and ResizeMode coordinates (i.e., do not show coordinates of the Move or Resize windows). This means JWMDesk currently overwrites any manual edits to these two options.

However, the next release (screenshot) will enable user control of these options (i.e., you will have the ability to show the status-window coordinates at the screen corner, screen center, window center, or you can select 'off' and the coordinates will not display). The next release of JWMDesk will also support your corresponding manual edits.

---

tallboy wrote:
The save2flash process seem to reload some defaults, but how?
Iin the next release of JWMDesk, your settings for MoveMode and ResizeMode coordinates should register correctly in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal, and this should be accurately recorded when you subsequently click save2flash.
Attachments
Move-Resize-Coordinates.png
(59.11 KiB) Downloaded 731 times
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

tallboy

#607 Post by tallboy »

Thank you, radky. Is it the JWMDesk Manager that is the culprit, can I modify the settings manually without using the WMDesk Manager? I have always had the coordinates shown in older JWM.
It is still a mystery why my /etc/hosts file disappear, and there are other configs that also have to be reset. I haven't made notes about it, so I cannot tell you which ones.
I am not very good at reading code, but is it the same save sequence from both save2flash, and save at shutdown?

radky

#608 Post by radky »

tallboy,

As mentioned previously, the current release of JWMDesk does not support the numerical display of screen coordinates for the currently selected window in the JWM desktop. Specifically, your manual edits of coordinates for the MoveMode and ResizeMode parameters in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal will be overwritten.

However, the next release of JWMDesk (coming soon) will enable full control of this option, and it will support your manual edits (no overwriting). Even so, you always have the option to manually edit JWM configuration files and then restart JWM.

Keep in mind, JWMDesk is a simple menu interface by which the user may call various external utilities to manage the JWM desktop environment. There are no direct calls to /etc/hosts.

Are you using VPN software that may interface with your /etc/host file, such as AnyConnect or OpenConnect? For example, in the link below, several users observed overwriting of their /etc/hosts file while using the AnyConnect VPN client.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1896148

If I recall correctly, you optionally save a Puppy session to a multisession CD/DVD. If you can identify specific configuration files that fail to save correctly, and this is reproducible, maybe we should open this issue on GitHub for evaluation by our Woof-CE devs.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

tallboy

#609 Post by tallboy »

Thank you again, radky. I don't use any VPN software, and I keep the hosts problem separate from my JWM issues, it is just a coincidence that they happened at the same time.
My only PC with enough RAM to handle a live Dpup, is unfortunately dismantled for repair for the moment, so I cannot make a comparison against a frugal install now, it will have to wait.
In my old Lucid, when I minimized a window to the tray, it's name in the task list was enclosed in square brackets or parenthesis, can that be set in a recent version of JWM in Dpup?

tallboy

#610 Post by tallboy »

There is definitely something wrong with the save2flash funcion in my Dpup. The file saves.txt, which was an addition to a post yesterday as saves.gz, was deleted from /root after renaming a copy to saves.gz. I was very surprised when I refound it in /, so I deleted it again, and later used the save2flash button. After a reboot, the file was back in / again!
To investigate, I made a change to the cursor, I deleted /saves.txt yet again, and changed the Gtk theme from Gradient-grey to Default. I then pressed save2flash, and rebooted without saving at shutdown.
Surprise: The deleted saves.txt was still in /, the Gtk theme was back to Gradient-grey, but the cursor was correctly saved, but it now has the company of a radio button when it is over linked text, like the title of this thread. I tried to make a time-delayed screenshot, but the cursor is not visible in the shot, so you'll have too take my word for it! :D The text cursor as I write this in the forum - and also in Geany, is no longer a simple vertical line, but a thick, shadowed line, it's width covering a letter.
After pressing the file or browser icons on the desktop, it takes a very long time before they open, all other icons work as intended.

I checked the md5sums during download and installation of Dpup without registering any faults, but it seems like I have to do a complete reinstall.

For the next release of Dpup Stretch, could you please include the full ducumentation to Cups? The link to an explanatory text, is to a 9 year old puppy thread, the original Cups documentation is more complete and much better. The Debian version of Cups, is far more complicated to set up, than the Cups version in my old Lucid.
Attachments
the file is still there.jpg
(32.9 KiB) Downloaded 552 times

radky

#611 Post by radky »

tallboy wrote:
In my old Lucid, when I minimized a window to the tray, it's name in the task list was enclosed in square brackets or parenthesis, can that be set in a recent version of JWM in Dpup?
In modern JWM the TaskListStyle tag supports two decoration attributes -- flat and motif. The default is flat. I'm not aware of other decoration attributes for the tasklist in modern JWM.

---

tallboy wrote:
There is definitely something wrong with the save2flash function in my Dpup...
To test, I replicated your scenario as follows:

- Fresh install of Stretch 7.5 to a flash drive
- Booted to default desktop and created a dummy 'saves.txt' in /root (not in /)
- Rebooted (selected 'save' at shutdown)
- On return to desktop, I deleted /root/saves.txt, changed Gradient-grey GTK theme to Default, and changed aero cursor theme to lil-polar
- Clicked save2flash icon on desktop, and saved current session to flash drive
- Rebooted (did not select 'save' at shutdown)
- On return to desktop everything from the prior session was saved correctly (/root/saves.txt remained deleted, the GTK theme was Default, and the cursor theme was lil-polar which functioned normally).

tallboy, is it possible your savefile is corrupt?

---

tallboy wrote:
For the next release of Dpup Stretch, could you please include the full ducumentation to Cups?
1 - Puppy Menu -> Setup -> CUPS Printer Wizard
2 - Select the option to 'Show extended online help for installing printers', then proceed
3 - Two help sources for printing will open automatically in your browser
4 - One source is the forum link to rcrsn51's help file (recently updated)
5 - The second source is http://localhost:631/ which takes you to the Home tab (second tab) of the CUPS setup screen. From there, click the CUPS.org tab (first tab) and then select the Help option in the top menu bar. This takes you to the CUPS documentation page.

MochiMoppel

#612 Post by MochiMoppel »

radky wrote:tallboy wrote:
In modern JWM the TaskListStyle tag supports two decoration attributes -- flat and motif. The default is flat. I'm not aware of other decoration attributes for the tasklist in modern JWM.
@radky: This is not about decoration. I think tallboy refers to the brackets around labels of minimized windows. Was introduced in v1.6, still present in v2.2 and now the brackets are gone. No mention in the change log,

Another useful feature that vanished: The group settings allowed a setting
<Group>
<Class>ROX-Filer</Class>
<Option>icon:none</Option>
</Group>
This would allocate a maximum of space for the tab label. For ROX-Filer I don't care about the icon. I need so see as much of the label as possible as it contains the folder path.
In 2.2. a non existing icon would cause JWM to allocate the whole tab space to the label, however "modern JWM" would reserve an empty space at the left side, stealing valuable real estate that could be used for the label.

tallboy

#613 Post by tallboy »

Thank you, MochiMoppel, you are absolutely correct. As it is now, there is no indication of which windows that are minimized. The double brackets were OK, but maybe the choice of a different color, or pattern, to mark the minimized, would by an idea?
radky wrote:tallboy, is it possible your savefile is corrupt?
No, I found the problem! I started from scratch with a new frugal install, and made notes of everything as I tried to replicate my modifications. It is the large /etc/hosts file that makes the trouble. As soon as I loaded it, the browser took for ever to open, and the same with the harddisk partitions, and file, after clicking the icons. Clicking the program icons on the desktop, reacted as normal, it seems that only storage, including a USB stick, and browser, are affected. After the partition window finally opens, there is no delay in opening folders inside a partition, but I recall from the former install, that some actions took a very long time to finish, but I cannot remember which ones.
It is very strange, because the first modified /etc/hosts I copied to Dpup Stretch, contained the /etc/hosts file that I have used for a long time in Lucid without any problems at all. The latest hosts that I tried, is the one dowloaded from http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm a few days ago, just as I have done before. I sort the file, and run uniq, and copy it to /etc/hosts, with the original 4 entries in hosts intact, of course. I experience the same problems with that version.
BTW; my Lucid and other Puppys have all been live multisession CD versions, where the entire Puppy is loaded into RAM. These Dpup Stretches are the first frugal installs I have made. I don't know if the loading of functions from an .sfs are affected in a way that I cannot understand.

charlie6

can't transfer file using bluetooth: module l2cap missing

#614 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
Here need to transfer picture and text files from a smartphone to puppy.
(running puppy Stretch 7.5 K 4.1.149)

I have installed all the files according to the following post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109828
Aftewards have restarted puppy.

Activated Bluetooth ON: Both devices are seen from each other. But a file transfer (picture or text file) fails with comment: "file not transfered".

Browsing the forum, I found that the needed kernel module l2cap is missing.

How could I get that l2cap module?

Thanks for any advice.
Charlie

Gnimmelf

wireless fails

#615 Post by Gnimmelf »

Im on a 64bit hp pavillion with a usb wifi rtl8192cu is the driver running.

it works on reboot (maybe a little slow and unstable) but it looses connection after a while?

otherwise its fast the dpup 7.5 rc4!

could it be a 64bit issue? (bionicpup 8.0 works wery well but is around 30-40 mb bigger ind use of ram).

is there a fix for this?

kindly Gnimmelf

radky

Re: can't transfer file using bluetooth: module l2cap missing

#616 Post by radky »

charlie6 wrote:Hi,
Here need to transfer picture and text files from a smartphone to puppy.
(running puppy Stretch 7.5 K 4.1.149)

I have installed all the files according to the following post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109828
Afterwards have restarted puppy.

Activated Bluetooth ON: Both devices are seen from each other. But a file transfer (picture or text file) fails with comment: "file not transferred".

Browsing the forum, I found that the needed kernel module l2cap is missing.

How could I get that l2cap module?

Thanks for any advice.
Charlie
Hi Charlie,

If I understand correctly, the bluetooth l2cap module was a legacy configuration option (CONFIG_BT_L2CAP) available for 2.5.X and 2.6.X kernels, and this config is now obsolete in modern kernels.

https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/BT_L2CAP.html

It seems functioning Bluetooth for Puppy is hit or miss (mostly miss). I do not use Buletooth devices, so my advice is limited.

Maybe someone with Bluetooth experience in Puppy will offer their recommendations.
Last edited by radky on Sat 18 May 2019, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

radky

Re: wireless fails

#617 Post by radky »

Gnimmelf wrote:Im on a 64bit hp pavillion with a usb wifi rtl8192cu is the driver running.

it works on reboot (maybe a little slow and unstable) but it looses connection after a while?

otherwise its fast the dpup 7.5 rc4!

could it be a 64bit issue? (bionicpup 8.0 works wery well but is around 30-40 mb bigger ind use of ram).

is there a fix for this?

kindly Gnimmelf
Hi Gnimmelf,

Many Puppy users report good WIFI connection with BK's Simple Network Setup (SNS).

Alternatively, you could try Frisbee which may provide improved stability for wireless roaming in some scenarios.
Attachments
image-1.png
(54.08 KiB) Downloaded 1052 times

tallboy

#618 Post by tallboy »

There is a message from Debian regarding kernel upgrades, is that something that should/could be done to Dpup Stretch-7.5?

Debian urges users to update their systems immediately

tallboy

#619 Post by tallboy »

radky, a few posts back I diagnosed my troubles to expanding the /etc/hosts file. I have noticed that every time I boot a multisession CD, I get a new puppypc identifying number, which is also set in the /etc/hosts file.
Is there some kind of dynamic creation of that number which causes my troubles?
I have just made a new multisession CD-R, and saved my setup to the CD. It will not boot properly, the desktop has a cursor, and two overlapping, empty trays at the bottom, no background, icons or menu, no reaction to mouse input. I followed my NoteCase list of settings which I formerly tested to work, X and jwm was restarted before the save to cd. I think that JWMDesk may be the reason, but I don't know how to diagnose my trouble.
BTW, I use the k4.1.48 version. When I opened the .jwmrc from terminal, it was empty.

radky

#620 Post by radky »

tallboy wrote:
a few posts back I diagnosed my troubles to expanding the /etc/hosts file. I have noticed that every time I boot a multisession CD, I get a new puppypc identifying number, which is also set in the /etc/hosts file.
Is there some kind of dynamic creation of that number which causes my troubles?
The Puppy code which ensures a unique hostname is found in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit as follows:

Code: Select all

if [ "`cat /etc/hostname`" = "puppypc" ];then
 echo -n "Updating unique hostname..." >/dev/console #hostname
 echo "puppypc${RANDOM}" > /etc/hostname
 PUPHOSTNAME="`cat /etc/hostname`"
 HOSTSFILEFIRST="`grep -w 'puppypc' /etc/hosts|sed 's% puppypc%%'`"
 HOSTSFILEREST="`grep -v 'puppypc' /etc/hosts`"
 echo "$HOSTSFILEFIRST $PUPHOSTNAME" > /etc/hosts
 echo "$HOSTSFILEREST" >> /etc/hosts
 status_func 0
fi
At the following link you can read more about the genesis of this code as provided by 01micko in Aug 2011:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 932#550932

Once the unique hostname is established on first run, it is recorded in /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts, then subsequently included in your savefile (assuming you choose to save the current desktop session before shutdown).

---

tallboy wrote:
I have just made a new multisession CD-R, and saved my setup to the CD. It will not boot properly, the desktop has a cursor, and two overlapping, empty trays at the bottom, no background, icons or menu, no reaction to mouse input. I followed my NoteCase list of settings which I formerly tested to work, X and jwm was restarted before the save to cd... When I opened the .jwmrc from terminal, it was empty.
Tallboy, many of JWMDesk's functions are accomplished by on-the-fly SED editing of /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc, and these changes are subsequently reflected in the desktop via /root/.jwmrc.

Please keep in mind, if /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc is manually edited by the user, any syntax errors introduced in the XML code could result in failed or faulty creation of /root/.jwmrc. In this scenario, the JWM desktop may fail.