How to tell if I have enough RAM to run Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
cretsiah

#41 Post by cretsiah »

@foxpup @gyro ok

this might be showing my age or the age of the puupy javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

EXT4 wasnt in the gparted i used so that isnt going to work

the grub version I used I think, might be a tad bit older than the ones your using, for instance there is no UUID nonsense.
IM pretty sure (if i remember correctly ) the use of the root line was the way puppy4.0 dingo and back used to lock the files to a specific folder (although some save sfs files didnt always agree),
when sfs became a thing it was used to only oick up specific SFS files to load, otherwise it would try to load every single one on the hard drive regardless of name and number specification.

this being said, i'll have to expirement with the pfix options, the pfix=nocopy one may have replaced the root=line or part of it at least, not sure.
not to mention that using "pfix= " on a couple of these distro's actually required "puppy pfix=whatever" as the arguement at boot from cd/usb.

Im pretty sure:
With using the root line on DPup Stretch (and a couple of the others) it does change something because on boot up it says something along the lines of "no re-allocation needed"

and i get a ram size of about 90megs i think it is at idle.

foxpup

#42 Post by foxpup »

90M, that looks very decent. :)

Indeed, you could use grub4dos from a newer Puppy.
Grub4dos has evolved (a little ;-) )
As an example my entry for easypup:

Code: Select all

title easypup-2.3 [BarryK] k5.4.40 seamonkey
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies /easypup/initrd.gz
  kernel /easypup/vmlinuz psubdir=easypup pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck,nocopy
  initrd /easypup/initrd.gz

mikeslr

#43 Post by mikeslr »

foxpup wrote:...Indeed, you could use grub4dos from a newer Puppy.
Grub4dos has evolved (a little ;-) )...
AFAIK, grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.4.pet (2018-09-18 ) is the last INDEPENDENTLY PUBLISHED version of grub4dos: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 995#384995. I've installed it into 'older' Puppies. It does provide some improvements. After installing, I've run it, allowing it to rebuild menu.lst but take the opportunity to do this edit:

The kernel line for Puppies booted from a hard-drive (any drive NOT accessed via a USB-port) will contain the argument "pmedia=atahd". I edit that to "pmedia=ataflash". That change 'tricks' Puppies into 'thinking' they are run from a USB-Key and enables Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager>Save Session>Save Interval to be set to Zero (0) + ASK at Shutdown: thereby removing the Automatic Save. That conserves space and eliminates the unwanted preservation of junk such as unknowingly downloaded malware, pets which didn't work and my frequent screw-ups.

With multiple Puppies, I recommend running Grub4dos from the Puppy you want to use as "default". It is not only the Puppy which will boot if you do not select another. The Advanced Menu will use that Puppy for Booting 'pfix=ram' and 'in Safe Mode', i.e. without running xorgwizard.

cretsiah

Dpup_Stretch Slacko_6.3.2 Puppy_4.3.1

#44 Post by cretsiah »

Talking to you from Puppy 4.3.1

Slacko 6.3.2 has bugs that seem to conflict with Dpup_Stretch_7.5 this means i wasnt able to perform a test of adding internet after frugal styled install.

Puppy 4.3.1 and Slacko both recheck hardware for internet connections (dont know about audio yet)

am able to run puppy 4.3.1 with or without internet connection on boot up.

Dpup_stretch isnt loading modules/ kernels for
Ethernet connection id: RTL-8100/8101L/8139 [10ec:8139]
or Audio controller
whilst it might identify that is all it does

works on puppy 4.3.1 it identifies and loads driver to operate ethernet connection.

Audio: nnot working on any of them

Audio identified as:
hda-intel, Advanced Micro Devices Audio Controller 1002:437b (rev 1)
(quotes not pre-fetchable - if that means anything to you)

Master volume set to 00 doesnt seem to be movable in gui
gxine starts at -1 in volume

no idea how to remedy this or fix it or where to attempt to change config

Laptop ID
- Toshiba Satelite L30
- PSL30A-001-00E
- Firmware Version 2.20

cretsiah

Audio controller speaker vs headphones

#45 Post by cretsiah »

Just realised the Audio driver issue could be related to the old Speaker VS Headphone Socket some laptops had.

Unfortunetly I dont have a valid headset to test this particular issue.