Climate report understates threat

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
Sylvander

#321 Post by Sylvander »

@foxpup
a. "You must have a large fertile garden!"
Fertile yes, but not large enough for my liking.
The soil began as heavy clay.
"Lots of backache but none of the heartache".
The house was built by Barratt, and I bought it new.
During the build in 1980, the workmen threw all of their rubbish out of the windows into the garden.
Paint cans, plasterboard, plywood, wood, bricks, roof-tile, etc.
They dug one huge hole in the front garden and another in the back, and dumped all of their spare concrete [from erecting fences] into those holes.
Then covered it all up using a too thin layer of nice topsoil.
Once in, I began digging knee-deep trenches to re-grade/level the surface, and mix the nice topsoil into the underlying clay.
They were making the roads at the time, and when I exposed the huge concrete block in the front garden, the guy with the road-drill obliged me by breaking up the block, and I disposed of the parts in a nearby skip.
I had to break up the concrete in the back garden with a sledge-hammer.
I eventually added [to my front garden] a TON of "sharp concrete sand" and 1.5 [part of 2 costing £60] huge loads of farmers manure.
That didn't make nearly as much of an improvement as I'd hoped.
So last October [after the final lawn cut] I spiked the lawn, put ["lawn sand" = moss killer, and] horticultural sand down the holes, put 1/2 inch of horse manure on the surface and raked off all the lumps leaving only fine stuff.
The grass is now growing a rich deep green, with little to zero weeds [I pluck these new/tiny weed seedlings with finger and thumb during the winter].
They tend to die during the winter if they have no greenery.

b. "What do you do with Out house leftovers from vegetables? Do you have a separate compost bin?"
Edible leftovers go in a small [nice looking, black] bin on the Out house worktop, then transferred to another [green] 3 times that size outside the Out house door.
The council collects all such as that every week.
Not sure what they do with it.

@greengeek
c. "Be aware of the high risk of contracting Tetanus from horse faeces."
I was unaware of that. :shock:
I use horse manure because it is available, and the supplier brings it and dumps it in my bin.
I wish the council would deliver their manure in this manner.
I phoned them, but they only sell it by the lorry-load.
I once bought a HUGE lorry-load of horse manure, and it was TOO MUCH.

d. "Never use waste processed by a sewer reticulation plant. It's full of prions, heavy metals, paint, oils, drugs, hormones, etc etc."
That was/is my belief.

e. "be selective what goes into compost. No onion skins, citrus peel, garlic, meat, etc"
That's what goes in my black->green bins.

f. "Some of the egg shells we dry out and grind to a fine dust for inclusion in the dog stew."
Egg shells are said to be good in compost also, because they contribute lime.

Burn_IT

#322 Post by Burn_IT »

Calcium Carbonate not Lime.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

foxpup

#323 Post by foxpup »

Hi Sylvander

Wow, what labour you put in your garden!

My garden is small. It's also been used as a landfill, mostly with broken floors, bricks and concrete.
I decided just to plant shrubs and trees. But even that was hard, to dig in the debris.
On the day I married, I wanted to plant an apple tree. My family and friends stood around me when I dug up a plastic foil with the first shovel I did. That was fun!

infromthepound

#324 Post by infromthepound »

In the days when human waste was used as fertilizer, intestinal parasites were common, and recycled on the grown food too.
JB

Sylvander

#325 Post by Sylvander »

@foxpup
a. "Wow, what labour you put in your garden!"
That's so true; I began the work when I was 34, so I was fit and strong.
I've put a lot of work into this house and garden.

b. "My garden is small. It's also been used as a landfill, mostly with broken floors, bricks and concrete.
I decided just to plant shrubs and trees. But even that was hard, to dig in the debris.
"
I'm a natural perfectionist, so I wouldn't be able to live like that.
Right now, I know that there are NO NASTIES in the top 18 inches of my garden soil.
Actually, the soil is a delight to dig, but I'm now going "no-dig" at 72-years [mulch the top surface].

c. "On the day I married, I wanted to plant an apple tree. My family and friends stood around me when I dug up a plastic foil with the first shovel I did..."
Way back, I once found a steak pie [in Aluminium tray] and pork chops, just a few of inches down.
I think a dog had stolen those and buried them in my nice crumbly topsoil.
Right now, the next door cat uses my front porch for shelter, and my borders to do the toilet in, because the soil is so nicely textured.
I don't know how to discourage this.
It's a beautiful ginger and white.
We also have hedgehogs, and lots of birds, and sometimes grey squirrels and ring-necked pheasants.
We have a Victoria plum tree [very successful, but we cannot eat all of them], an edible cherry [the birds get all of those, and leave the strawberries alone].
We used to have 3 apple trees, but the kids stole them and then threw them at our windows and all over the street, so I eliminated the trees.
I now have 5 different Blueberries [each of different cropping period] instead.

foxpup

#326 Post by foxpup »

I always enjoy just watching what's going on in the garden: birds, cats, neighbour's chicken, a hedgehog, bats ... .
We very rarely have a red squirrel (squirrels here are all the original red ones), there are too few old trees around.
And all that without going anywhere, in a city suburb!

You can try using plants to control cats to some extent.
I can see cats like some plants, often plants with a distinct smell (garlic/ramson, even violets) and I think they dislike lemon balm.
And they don't like groundcover to discharge.

I mostly let grow what comes naturally. I let grow what I like and keep it in proportion. Sometimes I move it a bit.
Our harvests are apples and walnuts. The walnut tree was a shoot in the roof-gutter I replanted in the middle of the backyard.

To come back to the subject of this topic.

Gardens are still often very nice and divers. But nature sites, the country side and cities are a lott less than 40-50 years ago.
I am 53 btw. Nature and country side have lost a lot of species and cities are a lot more busy (traffic) and dangerous in the course of my lifetime.
My children do not enjoy the same freedom and beauty I have had as a child.

I have seen the retreat of glaciers, but I do not have convincing signs of climate change yet here in the lowlands around the Northsea.
Yet, I think with anxiety and little confidence about the future of my offspring.

Sylvander

#327 Post by Sylvander »

foxpup wrote:I think with anxiety and little confidence about the future of my offspring.
I'm glad I won't be around when the human population of Earth reaches its steady-state maximum.
I feel sad for my grandchildren who will probably be around then. :(
Here's hoping the human race smartens up before it happens.

ITSMERSH

#328 Post by ITSMERSH »

Here's hoping the human race smartens up before it happens.
Sorry, to throw a dead cat into the party, but this will never happen!

As long as there's people having a career in politics by claiming being focused on environmental protection etc., but flying from Germany to California to just to have an ice on new years eve, there's just no hope!

Abandon all Hope!

Change own behaviour immediately and completely in full manner!

Teach your children to continue this path.

Anything else is futile effort.

foxpup

#329 Post by foxpup »

ITSMERSH wrote:Change own behaviour immediately and completely in full manner!

Teach your children to continue this path.

Anything else is futile effort.
RSH, Sylvander

I throw in another dead cat: this will not happen either. It will take some serious desaster first :(

It's incredible we have 80 years of peace in our part of the world. Probably because World Wars were such an apocalyps.

musher0

#330 Post by musher0 »

Hello disbelievers!

Tell me this is normal:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 2856985002

Snow plus 200 miles/hour winds in Hawaii?

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

greengeek

#331 Post by greengeek »

musher0 wrote:Hello disbelievers!

Tell me this is normal:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 2856985002

Snow plus 200 miles/hour winds in Hawaii?
Hi musher, for the earth this is normal. During interglacial warm periods the weather is warmer. Once you reach the end of the interglacial warm periods it becomes more like autumn and winter.

It is not caused by CO2.

It is mostly unaffected by mankind's use of "fossil" fuels.

It was destined to happen - check out the 3 phases of Milankovitch cycles as revealed in the Vostok ice cores.

Human "normal" is defined in terms of 24 hour periods. Earth's "normal" is a much longer timeframe. We are on track for 100,000 years of ice age (which incidentally includes warm periods too...)

Don't expect CO2 to bring Canada a tropical future. The (totally normal) variation of the magnetic poles will probably have more impact on Canada's weather than mankind will ever have.

In any case - Mauna Loa is a tall volcano - the weather "up there" is very much different than "down here" at sea level.

greengeek

#332 Post by greengeek »

Recent studies prove that anthropogenic global warming is virtually non-existent and that temperature changes are actually driven by Earths magnetosphere causing variation in low cloud cover.

This also explains the increase in humidity currently being experienced - driving up the human sensation of temperature without any actual temperature rise being visible to mercury thermometers.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1907.00165.pdf

infromthepound

#333 Post by infromthepound »

I thought that global warming was caused by all the hot air spoken by politicians.
JB

666philb

#334 Post by 666philb »

we need 'like' & 'dislike' buttons :)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

greengeek

#335 Post by greengeek »

perdido

#336 Post by perdido »

greengeek

#337 Post by greengeek »

In an earlier post I postulated that current CO2 levels are NOT triggering global thermal runaway as they are in fact swamped by cosmological and/or geological warming and cooling drivers that anthropogenic CO2 generation affects to only a small degree.

In the Vostok ice core graphs I see an apparent (approximate) 100,000 year cycle of temperature increase and decrease that is often out of step with CO2 levels. We see a clear glacial period followed by an interglacial period (which we are at the end of currently). However, I posted that there is also another "beat frequency" marching across the (approximate) 100,000 year cycle.

The beat frequency creates an unpredictable overall temperature, methane and CO2 increase. As the phasing changes we see that some interglacial periods are hotter or colder than others, and some are shorter or longer than others.

We can't say with any guarantee what impact the current phasing will have on our environment - except to say that change is inevitable and is not triggered by mankind. Being prepared for change is good - but believing that politicians understand the realities of that change is not justified as they are driven by self serving desire to control the population, rather than a desire to serve the population.

The following article looks at the relationship of CO2 and methane to climate change and dispels both the anthropogenic myth as well as the 100,000 year cycle myth.

It is the first article I have seen that offers a thorough and critical analysis of the Vostok ice core graphs so I thought it worth posting.

His conclusion (if I understand it correctly) is that the earth has a kind of heartbeat based on internal temperature and ocean currents that acts in concert with galactic cycles to change the environment.

Yes mankind can pollute and destroy - but CO2 pollution is not part of that anthropogenic environmental destruction equation.

http://euanmearns.com/the-vostok-ice-co ... -time-lag/
The results of this exercise are illustrated in Figure 12. We find no evidence for the existence of the 100,000 year cycle. Instead we see dominance of the 41,000 year obliquity cycle and multiples thereof. 82,000 year cycles are recognised throughout but these come to dominate about 1.2 million years ago – 82,000 years and not 100,000 years. And then most recently we have a 123,000 year cycle. But we also have a problem since glaciations are sometimes in phase with obliquity and sometimes out of phase [8]. Finding the holy grail of understanding the glaciations completely has eluded us. The glaciations beat to a 41,000 year tempo while evidently not being controlled by it.

At this point I want to conclude by presenting a simple hypothesis that I cannot as yet fully explain. Thermohaline circulation of the modern era is somewhat a miracle of the natural world and depends upon a delicate balance of moving ocean water from tropics towards the poles, evaporation that increases salinity, the formation of sea ice that increases salinity even more causing cold saline water to sink and flow along the ocean floor. This is the engine that drives thermohaline circulation. The evidence suggests that changes in obliquity somehow upsets this delicate balance causing the system to either shut down or to begin. For the last 1.2 million years, there has been greater resistance to circulation being triggered and the glaciations have become substantially longer in duration.

The change to ocean currents has profound effect on the pattern of atmospheric circulation where greater convection rates and increased cloud cover may both contribute to rapid cooling or vice versa. During the glacial episodes we would not recognise the distribution of pressure systems as belonging to the Earth we know today. CO2 in the past played a negligible role. It simply responded to bio-geochemical process caused by changing temperature and ice cover.
The entire article contains a lot of good information and I recommend it for anyone who seeks to understand the realities of how and why the earth climate changes.
Last edited by greengeek on Fri 03 Jan 2020, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#338 Post by musher0 »

Hi greengeek.

Thanks for this reference.

The argumentation looks sound, except the author sent a chill (pun intended) down
my spine when he wrote that there was a difference of 7 K between the "inception"
and "termination" of the glacial cycle. Now 7 K = -266 C.

I know, he wrote "difference". But what is such a difference in layman's degrees
(F or C)? Should I expect to be accidentally cryogened or evaporated in the next
14,000 years? :twisted:

Sinister joke aside, two ideas stick in my mind, in spite of that article:
-- First, like the average citizen, I do have not much background in science. If I were
a president or a prime minister, and a vast majority of scientists told me there is global
warming induced by human activity, I'd err on the side of caution and due diligence.

-- Second, the Earth is running out of fossil fuels. The CIA has a graph about that. Not
that I like the CIA or any secret agency, but those people usually do not speak through
their hats. So by the end of this century, we will have to switch to renewable energy
sources whether we like it or not. (There are probably reliable scientific sources for
that CIA statement, but I don't feel like combing the web just now.)

"An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure," as the proverb goes.
"Prepare rather than repair," is what I say.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

greengeek

#339 Post by greengeek »

musher0 wrote:-- Second, the Earth is running out of fossil fuels.
Actually i do not think we are in much danger of running out of "fossil" fuels just yet. There is plenty of coal left, and we now know that oil is largely abiotic in origin so will regenerate over time anyway.

The really serious issue in my opinion is that human population seems to keep expanding at a rate that energy production can't keep up with.

So what energy source could replace "fossil" fuels?

I think that the answer to that question offers us the real reason why Carbon Dioxide is being called an enemy - in fact the "Green" movement is being used to push global warming (climate change) propaganda that will eventually lead us to the conclusion that nuclear power is the only green solution.

Ironic really considering our generation has done so much to try to shut down nuclear proliferation.

We stand at the threshold of a new nuclear industry - an industry that may even prove to be a replacement for the American Petrodollar whose collapse hurt America so much and triggered so many wars.

I have always been a believer in alternative renewable energy sources so it has been a kick in the guts to realise that renewable energies cannot save the planet and the Green agenda is pushing us inexorably towards nuclear.

Greta Thunberg is one of the public faces of that propaganda designed to push us towards nuclear.

As you have suggested there is much pressure to turn our backs on coal and oil as well as confront the failure of renewable energy sources.

I would offer five videos as evidence for the groundswell of pressure leading us towards massive nuclear expansion.

I hope people have time to watch these five in order as the conclusions they draw appear to me to define where human global energy efforts will be focused over the next hundred years.

And I especially hope that "Green" minded people realise the extent to which their hatred of carbon is being used by the pro-nuclear industry.

The first video is a little boring and "elementary school" style, but it sets the groundwork for understanding what is going on so it's worth watching:

1)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RnvCbquYeIM

2)
https://www.ted.com/talks/david_mackay_ ... discussion

3)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N-yALPEpV4w

4)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vzotsvvkw

5)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kybenSq0KPo

"An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure," as the proverb goes. "Prepare rather than repair," is what I say.
I do heartily agree with you. I just hope people keep their minds open and don't fall into the trap that has been set by Gore and others.
Population control is still a critical component for efforts aimed at maintaining harmony with our planet.

musher0

#340 Post by musher0 »

Hi greengeek.

I won't engage in another discussion with you on this subject, it would remain sterile.

Pretty much every argument for and against X or Y has been presented in various
threads on this forum.

Let's realize nobody is going to change his / her mind, and leave it at that.

Best regards.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~