How can I accelerate Libre Office 6.3 start? (SOLVED)

Using applications, configuring, problems
mikeb

#21 Post by mikeb »

Note with softmaker you can only have say the writer which is a third of the whole package which in my case is about 8MB.
Mike

Mike Walsh

#22 Post by Mike Walsh »

mikeb wrote:Note with softmaker you can only have say the writer which is a third of the whole package which in my case is about 8MB.
Mike
Hm. Interesting; I never thought of that. So; can you delete the 'planmaker'/'presentations' stuff out of the shared freeoffice directory in /usr/share, use just the 'textmaker' /usr/bin entry, and run it as a dedicated, standalone word-processor?

That would make a nice alternative to crash-prone Abiword, it really would...

I'll have a play with that tomorrow. Cheers, Mike. :D

Mike. :wink:

mikeb

#23 Post by mikeb »

Hm. Interesting; I never thought of that. So; can you delete the 'planmaker'/'presentations' stuff out of the shared freeoffice directory in /usr/share, use just the 'textmaker' /usr/bin entry, and run it as a dedicated, standalone word-processor?

Yes each is a self contained binary blob... very little is shared.
Abiword always seemed unstable for me.
Mike

Mike Walsh

#24 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Mike.

Yes, you're right. And I've made some amusing discoveries, too.....like, the size of the 'fonts' directory is bigger than the size of all 3 binaries put together..!!

(*WTF..!!?!*) :shock:

I'm trying to build a standalone package of just Textmaker, y'see. I've got the suite size down from around 180+ MB to just 37 MB (this is the 2019 'update' package I'm working with here; it's got all the options for the 'ribbon' shit included. Personally, I'd as soon do without the damn thing, and run an older version, but some folks do like it, apparently. No accounting for tastes..! :lol:)

Unfortunately, newer releases have absolutely ballooned in size compared to older versions. It's what they call progress.....and what I call 'sloppy coding'. :roll:

enrique

#25 Post by enrique »

I am very gratefully with all of you, I been looking into a better than abbiword wordprocesor for quite some time. THANKS

Mike Walsh
I had look at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 5PL2yMXzUq

but the Textmaker 2019 folder is empty?

Mike Walsh

#26 Post by Mike Walsh »

I've tracked down the culprits responsible for the enormous size of my first attempts at this. In the /usr/share/freeoffice2018/fonts directory, of all places!

Most of the TTF files here are around 250-350 kb in size. But there's 3, which, between them, take up over 50 MB!!! They're not necessary for Textmaker to work, so I've removed them.....there's still a good selection of fonts to work with, and nothing to stop anyone from adding extras if they want to.

The Textmaker stand-alone wordprocessor package can be found here if anybody's interested:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 63#1060063

Mike Walsh

#27 Post by Mike Walsh »

enrique wrote:I am very gratefully with all of you, I been looking into a better than abbiword wordprocesor for quite some time. THANKS

Mike Walsh
I had look at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 5PL2yMXzUq

but the Textmaker 2019 folder is empty?
That's because I've only just uploaded them, Enrique. Look again, and you'll find the new packages.

enrique

#28 Post by enrique »

Mike Walsh
THANKS I will be testing it for some time. This is 2018

mikeb
mikeb wrote:Note with softmaker you can only have say the writer which is a third of the whole package which in my case is about 8MB.
Mike
Does this means you have an old package? Listen Mike Walsh package is what I need for my everyday DebianBuster64. But I am also interested for a very small one that I can include with Quirky7-light 32 or similar to be used on old hardware.

mikeb

#29 Post by mikeb »

Windows 7 had some 50MB fonts.... they were for chinese and other graphic fonts hence the size.

The softmaker i have is 2012, I never got to use later versions.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvmae26yi8thm ... 4.sfs?dl=1

I had a commodore plus 4...it had a wordprocessor on tap..... took about 20kb i believe.... no ribbon...what a shame. Got my CV printed with it :)

Mike

enrique

#30 Post by enrique »

Nice
CPU: 8501@ 1.76 MHz
Memory: 64 KB RAM + 64 KB ROM

The only commodores play with where PETS on 1982.
CPU: 6502@ 1 MHz
Memory: 96 KB

Best parts where playing with the compact cassette tape to load the program

Hey Thanks for the suggestion link. I will try later quircky.

nic007

#31 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:Windows 7 had some 50MB fonts.... they were for chinese and other graphic fonts hence the size.

The softmaker i have is 2012, I never got to use later versions.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvmae26yi8thm ... 4.sfs?dl=1

I had a commodore plus 4...it had a wordprocessor on tap..... took about 20kb i believe.... no ribbon...what a shame. Got my CV printed with it :)

Mike
Do you have the whole, small suite too? :wink:
Will this open the latest Microsoft Word documents?