Sparky Bonsai 64bit (not a puppy)

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
fredx181

#21 Post by fredx181 »

Added to "News" here:
https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/

I'm liking it, nice to have full access to the Sparky repo !
One thing wrong as far as I tested, I cannot reach my partitions from pcmanfm, I guess permission issue ?

I see this thread has been moved to Misc, which is not fair IMO, being consequent would be moving all "not real puppy" threads to Misc, not only this one.

Fred

dancytron

#22 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:Added to "News" here:

One thing wrong as far as I tested, I cannot reach my partitions from pcmanfm, I guess permission issue ?

I see this thread has been moved to Misc, which is not fair IMO, being consequent would be moving all "not real puppy" threads to Misc, not only this one.

Fred
I believe this access issue or something related is the reason for my firefox error. I'll test it a little more, but it seems to be from not being able to access or write to the profile which is in sda2.

I noticed there were hidden .moonchild and .mozilla folders in both /root and /home/puppy. You need to delete those as a part of the remaster process, both for size considerations and also for security (i think your browser history etc. might be there).

mauros

#23 Post by mauros »

Fred
Thanks for linking and testing.
Again, i can't reproduce the problem. All my media are mounted under /mnt/sd*.
Probably you mean that you haven't r/w access on other media's root. This is due to user (non root) login. Try to right click and "open folder as root" from pcmanfm. I'll check it further anyway.

As i said, any decision is respectable and acceptable without complains.
dancytron wrote: I noticed there were hidden .moonchild and .mozilla folders in both /root and /home/puppy. You need to delete those as a part of the remaster process, both for size considerations and also for security (i think your browser history etc. might be there).
I know about them, they are empty. The .mozilla/extensions are present (empty) in order to install firefox extensions for palemoon or manually install a flash plugin.
My personal opinion was to use firefox or otter as default browser but other guys preferred palemoon.
Last edited by mauros on Thu 12 Dec 2019, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

dancytron

#24 Post by dancytron »

I opened up the filesystem01.squashfs to take a look.

/home/puppy/.moonchild productions/pale moon/mp6m40c5.default isn't empty. It is over 11 MB and contains a 11 MB places.sqlite, which I think is your browser history, bookmarks, etc. Same with /root/.moonchild productions/pale moon/hhnk8g0d.default.

It's your OS, but imho you need to delete those.

mauros

#25 Post by mauros »

dancytron wrote:I opened up the filesystem01.squashfs to take a look.

/home/puppy/.moonchild productions/pale moon/mp6m40c5.default isn't empty. It is over 11 MB and contains a 11 MB places.sqlite, which I think is your browser history, bookmarks, etc. Same with /root/.moonchild productions/pale moon/hhnk8g0d.default.

It's your OS, but imho you need to delete those.
Thanx for this, i'll double check it. Maybe its forgotten at the latest remastering.

fredx181

#26 Post by fredx181 »

mauros wrote:Probably you mean that you haven't r/w access on other media's root. This is due to user (non root) login. Try to right click and "open folder as root" from pcmanfm. I'll check it further anyway.
No, only getting error message, see pic.

EDIT: Maybe it's because I boot with the "noauto" parameter and you are not.

Fred
Attachments
2019-12-05-200948_673x283_scrot.png
(57.62 KiB) Downloaded 378 times

TiredPup

#27 Post by TiredPup »

fredx181 wrote:
I have the same result as you if I click on the device icon in the left panel.

However if I click on Filesystem Root the root path is displayed. I click on /mnt and from there I have access to other drives which are displayed as folders.
Attachments
screenshot_2019-12-05-1575578664_385x308.png
(16.7 KiB) Downloaded 345 times

mauros

#28 Post by mauros »

fredx181 wrote:
mauros wrote:Probably you mean that you haven't r/w access on other media's root. This is due to user (non root) login. Try to right click and "open folder as root" from pcmanfm. I'll check it further anyway.
No, only getting error message, see pic.

EDIT: Maybe it's because I boot with the "noauto" parameter and you are not.

Fred
That helped. It's because of the authentication rules of pcmanfm. Normally they would be configured by lxpolkit, but there is no lxpolkit on Bonsai. I'll update the rules of polkit-1 and i'll come back. Thank you for this Fred!

A quick fix*:
1. Edit as root the xml file: /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.UDisks2.policy
2. under the tag: <action id="org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount-system">
find the <allow_any>, <allow_inactive>, <allow_active> (line 168,169,170) and change the "auth_admin" and "auth_admin_keep" values to "yes".

Save and try to mount your disks.

*The recommended method is to make a new polkit rule who gives access to a certain group on which you have to add your user.
Last edited by mauros on Thu 05 Dec 2019, 21:56, edited 2 times in total.

mauros

#29 Post by mauros »

TiredPup wrote:
I have the same result as you if I click on the device icon in the left panel.

However if I click on Filesystem Root the root path is displayed. I click on /mnt and from there I have access to other drives which are displayed as folders.
This is normal Tired, sda1 etc are folders where your partitions are mounted.

TiredPup

#30 Post by TiredPup »

This is normal Tired, sda1 etc are folders where your partitions are mounted.
:wink:

darry19662018

#31 Post by darry19662018 »

I see this thread has been moved to Misc, which is not fair IMO, being consequent would be moving all "not real puppy" threads to Misc, not only sothis one.

Fred
Yes it should be moved back, Vandalism. :(

Went to the thread at Sparky forums and what do you know the Puppy Philosophy is recognized as an influence on this project.

So proves my point Puppy is not just WoofCE it is a Philosophy - and it is having an influence on Linux, so what do you know belongs in these forums. Point proved.
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

fredx181

#32 Post by fredx181 »

mauros wrote:A quick fix*:
1. Edit as root the xml file: /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.UDisks2.policy
2. under the tag: <action id="org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount-system">
find the <allow_any>, <allow_inactive>, <allow_active> (line 168,169,170) and change the "auth_admin" and "auth_admin_keep" values to "yes".
Yes that works, I can mount my partitions from pcmanfm.
What also works (just for info what I did):
Uncomment this line in /home/puppy/.startup :

Code: Select all

# chpupsocket $USER:$USER &
It changes ownership of /tmp/pup_volume_monitor_socket to current user, so that pup_volume_monitor works (after restart X)
Then I removed from synaptic all gvfs packages, since I don't need gvfs anymore then.

Another thing (found after some more testing):
When adding new user (Add new user from menu) I couldn't start X after logging in as that user from console.
It has to do with the contents of /etc/skel (I guess it should have similar configuration as in /home/puppy)

Fred

mauros

#33 Post by mauros »

darry19662018 wrote: Yes it should be moved back, Vandalism. :(

Went to the thread at Sparky forums and what do you know the Puppy Philosophy is recognized as an influence on this project.

So proves my point Puppy is not just WoofCE it is a Philosophy - and it is having an influence on Linux, so what do you know belongs in these forums. Point proved.
Yes, Puppy influence is a fact, differences is a fact too. Never insisted on Bonsai is a Puppy because it isn't. Recognizing Puppy as a philosophy we decided to do something different. For instance, we are thinking of changing the structure of the default modules from one piece to multiple (basic system - desktop(s) - applications). Technically this is more close to Porteus than Puppy still Sparky (because of the ability of multiple desktop environments).
People of Puppy forum on the other hand are trying to prevent the exploitation of their community from projects having nothing to do with Puppy in the future. They are responsible for the future of the distro which is in higher priority than the openness of the forum. Could you blame them for that? I shouldn't ;)
Last edited by mauros on Fri 06 Dec 2019, 14:22, edited 3 times in total.

mauros

#34 Post by mauros »

fredx181 wrote: What also works (just for info what I did):
Uncomment this line in /home/puppy/.startup :

Code: Select all

# chpupsocket $USER:$USER &
It changes ownership of /tmp/pup_volume_monitor_socket to current user, so that pup_volume_monitor works (after restart X)
Then I removed from synaptic all gvfs packages, since I don't need gvfs anymore then.

Another thing (found after some more testing):
When adding new user (Add new user from menu) I couldn't start X after logging in as that user from console.
It has to do with the contents of /etc/skel (I guess it should have similar configuration as in /home/puppy)

Fred
We had a conversation about permissions as user. Haven't decided yet if we'll follow the DDog's way or the classic debian one (using an X authorization manager such as lxpolkit). That's why we left the "chpupsocket" commented in .startup. Pure sparky uses the "sparky-polkit" for its lightweight flavors, a script at the top of lxpolkit. I support the DDog's way but login as a user requires some security changes non recommended for linux systems in general. So the other option has a strong point.
Looking at the future of Bonsai, the choice of multiple DEs (such as lxqt or MATE) will bring the authorization managers required by them. So, maybe we'll keep the DDog/Puppys way only for JWM/openbox desktops and use the proper a.m. for other DEs.

The other issues will be fixed anyway and will be an updated release asap. Thanx again Fred!

mauros

#35 Post by mauros »

Iso is updated with all bugfixes.
There's another module available to download, 01-firmware-nonfree.squashfs containing the debian packets firmware-linux-nonfree and firmware-misc-nonfree.

Gvfs removed and replaced by chpupsocket script. Local disk media appears normaly in pcmanfm but network mounts doesn't, the way they did with gvfs. They are still accessible at their directories.
Last edited by mauros on Sat 07 Dec 2019, 13:43, edited 2 times in total.

oui

#36 Post by oui »

Hi mauros
mauros wrote:People of Puppy forum on the other hand are trying to prevent the exploitation of their community from projects having nothing to do with Puppy in the future. They are responsible for the future of the distro which is in higher priority than the openness of the forum. Could you blame them for that? I shouldn't ;)
thank you for your above approbation!

And a good place did be found by " the forum" as the hierarchic way to your thread seems to be logic and good (Index > Talking the Puppy out for a walk >> misc sounds realistic and good! Why all guest projects not here? The section of the forum is not new...).

But that is not completely right:
than the openness of the forum
If I look at the kind how the url of the forum did be concept by it's owner ( ...-linux/puppy ) I can not recognize really some ...-linux/misc ! and not some ...puppy-linux/andGuests ). I would say it is designed as a really dedicated web page where only the dedicated section which was opened for Puppy exists...

this is a great very old very big forum really free from advertising where threads where never erased and somebody spend probably some money for it, and the moderation has a lot of work to read or observe the deal of very controvers opinions without spams :roll: ! A great effort, financial and as work (thank you organisators of all!). Certainly that cost and work are dependent from the quantity and volume of forum numerous forum transactions including uploads.

A lot of other sites did die within the more than 14 y. of presence of that forum on the web (you can realize that if you meet broken links in very old (or newer :wink: ) discussions in the forum!).

And this forum did offer until today this generous subdivision Index > Talking the Puppy out for a walk >> misc

Other Linux branch are not so tolerant (absolutely no post concerning arch technology is tolerate at the arch main forum if it does not concern in the arch distribution itself. Even correct arch derivates are not wished and are moved in a special section where the questions are erased soon!).

But I suppose this is not the situation in Puppy and you did before posting ask the moderation if it is right to open one discussion more about a non puppy (I don' t wish some answer, but only speak about that for the future as I see that a lot of guests did establish one of her main HQ in this forum under the sections for Puppy :wink: )!

mauros

#37 Post by mauros »

For me it has to do with the big picture of linux/foss. I use it, i improve it, i help other people. I feel sad every time i learn that a linux project became discontinued. I'm happy to see people who care about Puppy, it's a project i'm watching for years and i want it alive and kicking. Barry's hard work has a future and this fact encourage me and everyone spending time on free software to continue.

On the other hand, puppies are popular for some reason. It doesn't change because of some other project success. In fact the existence of many derivatives confirm the original as a good idea.

There's no sense to talk about things like forum sections or comparing other forums. The fact is that there is a (virtual) limit and this thread went out of it. That's what i mean talking about openness.

For other users seems to be important, not for me. Because they care about puppy as you do. Maybe because they consider openness as an important part of puppy's philosophy and they want to keep it alive. So this is not about me, the project i share or the forum sections. This is about Puppy.

mauros

#38 Post by mauros »

The login method changed from getty to slim login manager. See edited instructions on first post.

zagreb999

xfce version 32 bit

#39 Post by zagreb999 »

mauros,
compliments!!!
great project!!!

thanks!

do you have a plan for
slim-minimal xfce version
32 bit with quick remaster
as debiandog?

please, see tazpuppy which
is the best constrution in
linux world!

squashfs file is only 57 mb!

mauros

#40 Post by mauros »

Thank you zagreb!

A 32bit version is in plans, but not before stabilizing the current 64bit version. The next release will be multi-module. The kernel modules in a separate squashfs module, the basic system in another and the desktop in another one.
This will ease BusterDog's kernel update and any user will be able to build his own desktop using Sparky's repositories on the existing basic system.
In my personal plans about the desktop is LXQt, MATE (minimized) and the existing JWM. An i3 desktop is also very possible. Xfce is an excellent choice for a lightweight desktop but at the moment i will stay on desktops we have tested on StretchDog.

Slitaz is a genius project, i'm sure taz puppy is also great. I'll check it asap. Thanx again!