Unable to register

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Smithy

#21 Post by Smithy »

Same with puppylinux site, murga just works with anything..
Attachments
error.png
(12.07 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

Mike Walsh

#22 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Smithy:-

Hm. That's odd.

The trial site came up for me about an hour ago. Now I'm getting the same error you're getting....

Needs a bit more work, methinks. Ne'm mind. I daresay we'll get there, sooner or later. There's 'teething' problems with anything new.....but an upgrade is, I feel, on the cards sooner or later. It's all to do with entropy, old son.....

@ rockedge:-

Any ideas, mate?

Mike. :wink:

p310don

#23 Post by p310don »

Flash wrote:
I clicked the "Watch this topic for replies" at the bottom of this page and sure enough I got an email from the forum in my Gmail inbox
If you already are registered from years ago with the forum through your gmail, it works.

If you try it from new, it doesn't.

Feel free to try it with a new gmail account.

rockedge

#24 Post by rockedge »

sorry everyone! I had to do some rearranging and reconfiguration of the database...should be all good now to try out. I had to test the mail system. It works.

rockedge

#25 Post by rockedge »

to minimize the downtime I went ahead and re-installed the main database and worked out the kinks in the email system. The forum should be running and will allow registration...remember it is for testing at this time.

I am going to take a sleep break and some more research or adding some forums modeled on the original. Although the database conversion and import will set everything up as in the original forum.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#26 Post by Flash »

Um, I was going to register until I noticed no https. I thought that would be included with the other changes and upgrades. Are you planning to add it?

wiak

#27 Post by wiak »

Flash wrote:Um, I was going to register until I noticed no https. I thought that would be included with the other changes and upgrades. Are you planning to add it?
At test stage https not important, that will require getting a certificate (and I presume a primary domain) but you can get one free here I think:

https://letsencrypt.org/

Main thing is to get old site transferred successfully and all tested working with new phpBB version and up-to-date PHP.

I hope part of the plan will be to reorganize the site in way that promotes all forum work and activity, without biasing towards traditional Puppy since efforts are well-spread nowadays and all such work requires proper acknowledgement and support for future inspiration and encouragement.

wiak

rockedge

#28 Post by rockedge »

that will require getting a certificate (and I presume a primary domain)
Yes this is correct. I can get a cert from https://letsencrypt.org/, my other sites use it.

I could add a certificate to this sub-domain and set up https and perhaps I will later today for test purposes. Although for this stage it isn't needed.

We can design it to definitely include all the Puppy's and also all the work on distro projects that Puppy Linux inspires.

We can try out extensions and some design ideas and if it breaks I'll just re-install it. I am researching how to transfer the database via export and conversion and can get support from the devs on their forum once it is decided which direction to go. If I could get my hands on an .sql export file of the murga database that would be a start..... and a conversion can be run without involving the murga forum at all.

rockedge

#29 Post by rockedge »

Hello Flash,

I added the certs needed for encryption: https://puppylinux.rockedge.org/

wiak

#30 Post by wiak »

Mike Walsh

#31 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hm.

Doesn't recognise my username or password. Obviously it wants a new account.

Trying to use my existing username (Mike Walsh) gives 'Username contains forbidden characters'. Okay, I'm thinking; perhaps it won't allow spaces. Many won't.

So I tried 'Mike_Walsh'. Guess what? Yep; 'Username contains forbidden characters'. Now what the hell is wrong with that?? :shock:

So I've tried lots of different names/combinations of letters & stuff. Surprise, surprise. It doesn't seem to like ANYTHING.... 'Username contains forbidden characters'.

Most odd.

fredx181

#32 Post by fredx181 »

For me it worked all smoothly with same username fredx181, I'm in !

Fred

rockedge

#33 Post by rockedge »

Hello Mike, Not odd...yet! I have selected mostly default and careful settings...we can of course change that parameter to allow Spaces in the user name. I will change that for you now.

Of course some of you may want some admin privileges and I was going to assign moderators, which I can do once some of you are registered.

The question is now how far should we go before attempting the test forum assimilation of the murga forum? Before we go deep into configuration of this one if some one can organize a SQL dump of the original database I will inquire further on the steps for migration we will be taking.

I see some successful registrations have occurred...the test of the email functions and registration process are at the moment important....so far so good it seems

Mike Walsh

#34 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ rockedge:-

I've registered on the new one, using mikewalsh - no spaces, or capitals. That's on a GMail a/c, where the confirmation arrived promptly in my 'Spam' folder.

I've tried a variation with my GMX a/c. MiqWalsh has also been successful.....but, as yet, NO confirmation e-mail? (If this one never sorts itself out, you'll just have to delete it, I guess.)

Nice one with the HTTPS, by the way. Thanks. (And it's good that much of the BBcode is the same, 'cos I tend to put all mine in manually, as I type. For me, I've got so used to doing so, it's just 'quicker'.)

Question; If the 'import' from Murga should prove to be successful, will it include existing usernames, passwords, personal details, etc., etc? Or will all that need to start again from scratch, too? I'm a bit of a 'newb' where all this kinda thing is concerned..... :lol:

(I know what you're proposing can be done, 'cos the XP Forums, where I'm a member, did exactly this a while back, a year or so after I joined.....and the transition was utterly seamless. Everything remained as before.....the only change was a new 'look'.)

rockedge

#35 Post by rockedge »

Hi Mike,
Everything remained as before.....the only change was a new 'look'.
That is exactly what we are aiming for! That is why we don't need to go so crazy until after the database import/conversion is completed....it will be the murga forum as it is now but with brand new phpBB software. Same users and all the goodies!

rockedge

#36 Post by rockedge »

Plus now a new header and design can be chosen. there are themes that can be installed or we can stay basic and just insert a cool header.

Mike could you test out using spaces in the user name please?
Last edited by rockedge on Tue 03 Dec 2019, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#37 Post by Mike Walsh »

Editing a post just now, upon clicking 'Submit', I got a

Code: Select all

502.....Bad Gateway (nginx)
I've seen this "Bad Gateway" before, on many sites.....but what does that 'nginx' represent? (Just out of curiosity, like....)

I'm assuming it's nothing to do with the software; I guess this is something to do with temporary 'collisions' in DNS resolution, or summat like that?

(You can tell I haven't got a clue as to what I'm wittering on about, can't you? :lol: )

Mike. :?

rockedge

#38 Post by rockedge »

nginx (pronounced "engine X") is a web server software. Puppy Linux has a web server on board to run the PERL Blog. Puppy Linux uses Hiawatha web server software (my personal favorite).
Most of the Internet runs on Apache, in embeded devices like the GoPro cameras often use Cherokee.

It is a DNS server using NGINX web server that is having some problem. Clear your browser cache and try again....I just had the same message earlier today

rockedge

#39 Post by rockedge »

(You can tell I haven't got a clue as to what I'm wittering on about, can't you? Laughing )
Mike we all start at the beginning and with a little explanation and experimentation I am 100% confident you'll pick all this up as we go.

That's our strength...collaboration

Mike Walsh

#40 Post by Mike Walsh »

rockedge wrote:
(You can tell I haven't got a clue as to what I'm wittering on about, can't you? Laughing )
Mike we all start at the beginning and with a little explanation and experimentation I am 100% confident you'll pick all this up as we go.
No, doubt, mi amigo..! :D

BTW; the MiqWalsh a/c has also now received its confirmation e-mail. Strangely, it went through over two hours ago, but GMX has only just now notified me... (??!?)

Heigh-ho. At least it did go through (albeit with a delay); that's the important part for 'test' purposes, yes? The delay here is apparently at GMX's end, which is curious.....they're usually pretty prompt about getting stuff out to you.

Must be 'one of those days', I guess.....