[CLOSED] 32-bit UPup Disco Dingo (UPupDD) 19.04 (April 2019)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
davids45

Huge Kernel 4.9.163 ?

#21 Post by davids45 »

G'day peebee,

A bit off-topic and non-urgent.......

Could you (or someone else) point me in the direction of a copy of the huge kernel 4.9.163 you're using in DiscoDingo and BionicPup32?

Thanks to perdito's help ( http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115821 ), I now have Dingo-usable usb wifi adapters that came with a RealTek chipset that needed a kernel-specific driver. Old pre-wifi computers and an impending wifi-only home-network for a short-armed deep-pocket user :) .

It seems all the (cheap) usb wifi adapters currently available here in Sydney use RealTek chipsets, claiming to be suitable for Linux, but only if one knows how to compile a driver for a particular kernel :oops: :( . Plug-and-play not.

Is it possible to, in some way, change kernels by just switching the vmlinuz and zdrv.sfs directly from a 'good' Pup install to another Pup install (e.g. Dingo to Cosmic)?

If not, then the 'huge kernel' route looks 'the go' to retro-fit other Pups. The 'tail wagging the dog' again?

Thanks,

David S.

peebee

Re: Huge Kernel 4.9.163 ?

#22 Post by peebee »

davids45 wrote:Is it possible to, in some way, change kernels by just switching the vmlinuz and zdrv.sfs directly from a 'good' Pup install to another Pup install (e.g. Dingo to Cosmic)?
Yes - simply rename zdrv appropriately....

but also:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/hu ... up.tar.bz2
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#23 Post by peebee »

Reupload:

19.04+AB and delta from AA to AB

iso md5 = 023e1c0d810513979c37ae2c27fcf1d0 upupdd-19.04+AB-uefi.iso
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

#24 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:Reupload:

19.04+AB and delta from AA to AB

iso md5 = 023e1c0d810513979c37ae2c27fcf1d0 upupdd-19.04+AB-uefi.iso
Downloaded, delta applied, md5sum correct, adding buttons to tray now works here both in a pristine install and in my AA to AB(new) update.

Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

sszindian

UPup

#25 Post by sszindian »

@peebee

Not sure what you fixed in the new uploads to Upup-dd (and also Upup-bb-32). I downloaded them both and tested them, the issues I mentioned in my previous post still remain exactly the same with the new versions?

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

peebee

Re: UPupDD

#26 Post by peebee »

sszindian wrote:Getting this dialog-box on every startup
Pburn does not give on-going functions in the dialog box
Hi

I don't see the "dialog-box" at startup! And nobody else has reported it. Have you tested with a pristine frugal install (no personal save)? What video hardware do you have?

What is hp-systray? It is not part of the builds! Is it something you've added? for a printer maybe?

I don't burn CDs or DVDs so can't test.... can you provide a screen-shot of what you mean by "does not give on-going functions in the dialog box"? Again is this with a personal save? does it happen on a pristine frugal install?

Anybody else seeing this pBurn problem?

The new upload just fixed the tray button problem which was caused by the new Notes menu item requested by @bigpup.

Thanks
peebee

perdido

Re: UPupDD

#27 Post by perdido »

peebee wrote:
sszindian wrote:Getting this dialog-box on every startup
Pburn does not give on-going functions in the dialog box
Hi

I don't see the "dialog-box" at startup! And nobody else has reported it. Have you tested with a pristine frugal install (no personal save)? What video hardware do you have?

What is hp-systray? It is not part of the builds! Is it something you've added? for a printer maybe?

I don't burn CDs or DVDs so can't test.... can you provide a screen-shot of what you mean by "does not give on-going functions in the dialog box"? Again is this with a personal save? does it happen on a pristine frugal install?

Anybody else seeing this pBurn problem?

The new upload just fixed the tray button problem which was caused by the new Notes menu item requested by @bigpup.

Thanks
peebee
hp-systray is from HPLIP for HP printers. Pfind came up empty when I looked for hp-systray in the new Bionic.

sszindian

UPup-dd

#28 Post by sszindian »

@perdido

Yes, only hp thing installed was hplip from the PPM...

Tried earlier version (cc+8)... installed hplip from PPM and do NOT get the dialog box I get in the new UPup-dd. HPLIP Toolbox installes in menu (System) but it does not function in either version.

@peebee

Sorry but have very small HDD with little space left and only run from disk with savefolder to HDD.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Marv

#29 Post by Marv »

I have an HP Officejet 4500 installed and working in upupdd AB using an older hplip_print-3.13.14 from the forum thread on installing printers and an LxPrint patch, also older. Just printing, no extra tools or scanning. It has the required printer info for the 4500 and is small so I don't go newer when I bother to install the HP. The sheer size of the hplips in the repos steered me clear of them. Most of the time I use my Brother 2170 laser printer installed as a generic PCL laserprinter, no additional driver pkg at all is required for that. Both printers are networked wired and with the firewall off they are 'found' correctly by the CUPS in upupdd. I don't see any extra dialog boxes on boot or wmrestart in the current upupdd and haven't in many versions of upupbb and upupcc.

I see the following attempting to burn a DVD using Pburn. I didn't wait for it to complete as it was (stupidly) pretty large -all my currently installed pups- .
Attachments
Screenshot(1).jpg
(30.56 KiB) Downloaded 667 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

puppyluvr

#30 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Still working good on the old Celeron.
Installed conky, gimp and a few other things with no issues. Installed Pale Moon but still generally just use Light.

BTW:
Back in the day (from 2:15 to 400) I was the "Enlightenment on Puppy" guy.
My last release before runtt21 took over with Macpup:
BuddaPup Dingo! 8)
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

peebee

Experimental branch UPupDD

#31 Post by peebee »

Woof-CE now has an "Experimental" branch which aims to get rid of the "multiarch symlink".... which should make Puppy more compatible with Debian/Ubuntu architecture and hence should make installing Debian/Ubuntu apps more reliable,,,,

upupdd-19.04-uefi.iso
is built with this new architecture

Testing is needed to see to what extent (if any) this new architecture affects software installation.
Last edited by peebee on Wed 24 Apr 2019, 09:24, edited 2 times in total.

Marv

Experimental branch UPupDD

#32 Post by Marv »

So far I have installed and run 19.04 EA as a pristine install, then creating a new savefile, as an update of my 19.04 AB install, and am now running the 'freshly created' EA savefile with my pcmanfm integration, panels, wallpaper, printers, browser, symlinked profiles etc. added from local pets and manually. All boot and run correctly on this hardware:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: puppypc25146 Kernel: 4.9.163-lxpup-32-pae i686 bits: 32 Desktop: JWM 2.3.7 Distro: UPupDD 19.04
Machine:   Device: laptop System: FUJITSU product: LIFEBOOK S761 serial: R2500459
           Mobo: FUJITSU model: FJNB225 serial: N/A
           UEFI [Legacy]: FUJITSU // Phoenix v: Version 1.17 date: 03/14/2012
Battery    CMB1: charge: 62.2 Wh 100.0% condition: 62.2/62.2 Wh (100%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2520M (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 801/3200 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.20.4 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2 version: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.2
Network:   Card: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-)
Info:      Processes: 188 Uptime: 1:36 Memory: 193.9/3867.5MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.40 
My plan is to archive the AB-to-EA update savefile, back up the freshly created EA savefile (with my mods) and then install some debs on it. Any thoughts on what was problematic before?

Cheers,

mavrothal

Re: Experimental branch UPupDD

#33 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote:Woof-CE now has an "Experimental" branch which aims to get rid of the "multiarch symlink".... which should make Puppy more compatible with Debian/Ubuntu architecture and hence should make installing Debian/Ubuntu apps more reliable,,,,

upupdd-19.04+EA-uefi-EXP.iso
is built with this new architecture:
WOOF='experimental;e7a83041;2019-04-08 09:10:41 +0800'

Testing is needed to see to what extent (if any) this new architecture affects software installation.
Works OK in a brief test, but a 64bit would be more useful to test multiarch removal and overwriting symlinks (with stray or even formal pets).
You might want to try it next.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

Re: Experimental branch UPupDD

#34 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:Works OK in a brief test, but a 64bit would be more useful to test multiarch removal and overwriting symlinks (with stray or even formal pets).
You might want to try it next.
No thanks - will leave that to others - the only 64-bit builds I will do will be Slackware based which is sensibly architectured and doesn't need such shenanigans....

cthisbear

#35 Post by cthisbear »

I can't boot this.

I have a wrong menu entry.
I had this happen on another multiboot Puppy and I can't find
the text I used to fix this.

So I run multipups off usb.

So for Stretch I use a folder >>>> radkyStretch
to boot it so....

title Radky Stretch 2 (sdc1/radkyStretch)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /radkyStretch/initrd.gz
kernel /radkyStretch/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash psubdir=radkyStretch pfix=fsck
initrd /radkyStretch/initrd.gz

???????????????????????

for Dingo I have named the folder >>> upupbbDingo

So this doesn't work let alone others I have tried.

title Upup Bionic Beaver Dingo 2019 (sdc1/upupbbDingo)
"Start upupbbDingo" {
linux /vmlinuz pmedia=cd
initrd /initrd.gz

>>>>>>>>>>>

Or maybe this..

label upupbbDingo
kernel vmlinuz

Thanks...Chris.

peebee

#36 Post by peebee »

upupdd-19.04+EC-uefi-EXP.iso
is built with:
WOOF='experimental;136be597;2019-04-15 03:04:17 +0800'

iso md5 = 5441ec03ddff3d44485661f8068865f5 upupdd-19.04+EC-uefi-EXP.iso

darry19662018

#37 Post by darry19662018 »

Test Machine: Dell D620

Booted fine video, sound, internet all working.
Pleased to see retrovol as sound mixer. Seems pretty solid so far.

Pup-SysInfo Hardware Report (Complete), Mon 15 Apr 2019

Current Time: 20:45:18
System Uptime: 0d 0h 38m
Load Average: 0.82 0.46 0.36
Processes: 163 total, 2 running

▶—— BASE SYSTEM ——◀

PC Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product Name: Latitude D620
Serial Number: HFFGM1S
UUID: 44454c4c-4600-1046-8047-c8c04f4d3153

Motherboard Vendor: Dell Inc.
Product Name: 0TD761
Version:
Serial Number: .HFFGM1S.CN129616A65279.

Linux Kernel: 4.9.163-lxpup-32-pae (i686)
Version: #1 SMP Thu Mar 14 15:41:19 GMT 2019
Build GCC: 8.3.0
PAE Enabled: Yes
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

darry19662018

#38 Post by darry19662018 »

Oh dear package manager PPM not working properly tried to install audacious installed 3 packages not the rest - half installed. Tried Deadbeef couldn't find it though listed. Installed Catfish - tried to run python 3 bad interpreter. Maybe time to look at Scottman's pkg manager.

Found a package finally - a complete binary and installed:) and is working.

mp3 playback working.

peebee

#39 Post by peebee »

Deadbeef problem was a wrongly named pet on Ibiblio - now corrected.

darry19662018

#40 Post by darry19662018 »

Playing back mp4s doesn't work with GMplayer - had to replace the mplayer in /usr/bin/mplayer with a static one. Gmplayer now works.